5.0 out of 5 stars Taking your basic HTML to the next level
I decided a couple of weeks ago to create my own website, so a bought Mike McGrath's books HTML In Easy Steps and found it very simple to follow. Within a short time I went from knowing no HTML to being able to create set of reasonable, if basic, WebPages.

Published on 23 April 2006 by Nathan Turnbull

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor indeed
I bought this off line since it seemed a nice and easy and not to heavy. The trouble is that although this is the visual appearance when it comes down to it it just does not give you the introduction knowledge and background that is needed.

I tried getting in to it a few times but each time css seemed harder to me that I had thought it was going to be. In the...
Published on 27 May 2008 by Page

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking your basic HTML to the next level, 23 April 2006
Nathan Turnbull "Nathan" (Doncaster, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CSS in Easy Steps (Paperback)

A friend recommended I improve my page design by using CSS and as I found HTML In Easy Steps so good I decided to buy CSS In Easy Steps.

CSS In Easy Steps is a must buy for anyone who has grasped the basics of HTML and wants to be more creative with their page design. The book is well laid out and provides more then enough detail for even beginners to create very good looking pages. I will say the book doesn't provide all the answers and some trial and error will be required to get the page layout exactly as you want but that just add to the fun of creating a Website.

Overall I recommend this book to take your basic HTML knowledge to the next level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 12 Nov 2010
This review is from: CSS in Easy Steps (Paperback)
I am trying to learn how to build websites and, since I bought it, I have consulted this little gem time and time again. The instructions are really clear and easy to follow. There is also a link to files of examples that you can download, so you don't need to type in code manually for the more complicated templates.

Good for beginners and pros alike, full of hot tips and best practice guides. Big thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all., 9 Jun 2010
K. Bradley (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CSS in Easy Steps (Paperback)
The book is well written and easy to follow. The title says in easy steps and it certainly feels that way. It can be read through and the order is mostly logical. I tend to use the book to look in the contents to find the relavent section and I find it works well as a reference book with each section having a concise example that can be downloaded from the website. The book goes well with other books in the series such as the javascript one I have. The full colour examples look good, and the author has given the view from a number of browsers to ensure you understand the difference between different company's browsers. I did find one issue in that the unit of Em was not explained before it went into use, though when it was explained a couple of chapters later it was a good explanation. The book assumes basic knowledge of HTMl so it may well assume you know the units as well, though as it explained them afterwards it appears it may not have. As the values of Ems were clear in the examples it wasn't neccesary to know what the unit meant for the example to work. As CSS is required for web design it might have been nice to have a few more hints in the book about good design in a website, but apparently the book is purely how to use CSS and any application of it was useful but it is left up to the reader to find another source for design style. Overall a great book, definitely a great start in CSS and for the casual web designer it's probably all you need though I'm sure there is a lot you can do with CSS that isn't covered but doesn't need to be covered at this level.

5.0 out of 5 stars First-rate Introduction to CSS, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: CSS in Easy Steps (Paperback)
A great introduction to what can seem a complex subject. The graphic format is particularly useful, and the writing is lucid and to the point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good introduction to CSS, 30 Nov 2012
This review is from: CSS in Easy Steps (Paperback)
Mike McGrath really knows his onions -- see my review of his book on PHP.
I love this series - "in easy steps" - particularly because of their liberal use of colour in explaining the tricky concepts.
If you've been struggling witih CSS, this is a very affordable introduction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book to have beside me, 6 Nov 2012
Neil J. Ross - See all my reviews
This review is from: CSS in Easy Steps (Paperback)
This book was a handy reference while I was setting up my first website. The book's layout and index made it easy to find what I wanted. It was so easy, in fact, that very soon I needed to go further - downloadable fonts, for example - and you can find out about these online. This is a very good beginner's reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 9 Jun 2012
This review is from: CSS in Easy Steps (Paperback)
Very useful for anyone experimenting with creating websites. Some of the examples in the book don't work; there are a few typo's in some of the examples. Overall a good product and it has helped me to create a website and given me more ideas. Acts as a good point of reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starting Point, 25 Mar 2012
This review is from: CSS in Easy Steps (Paperback)
This book os a great book for someone who already knows a little bit of CSS. I found it cemented some concepts that I had vaguely, but not completely, understood and is a great reference book for when one gets stuck.

The chapters are well thought through, and each concept is well laid out. It's only a shame that the style of the inner pages are 'a bit 90s' and the books readability could be improved a lot if the pages were designed to inspire, as well as inform.

For the price, this book is ace- I'd recommend owning it for the sheer fact that knowing that you have got all the answers with you, should you need, is great security: and you never know, you might learn a few things if you read it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great kick start, 22 Jan 2009
T. Mccaie (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CSS in Easy Steps (Paperback)
Really good really simple. Doesn't cover every thing but really good basics and much more approachable than many other books. I recommend this one as I would all the 'in easy steps'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful little reference, 13 Jun 2008
David Miller - See all my reviews
This review is from: CSS in Easy Steps (Paperback)
I've always assumed that I knew enough CSS to manage, but I picked up this book in bookshop and was really impressed with it as an easily-readable summary of CSS tags. I bought it, and it's proved both a useful reference and a source of additional information I didn't know.

While it may not be suitable for complete HTML novices, I found its conciseness a benefit because it makes it simple to flick through to find things.

CSS in Easy Steps
CSS in Easy Steps by Mike McGrath (Paperback - 15 Jun 2009)
8.64