on 16 January 2010
It sells itself as JavaScript in easy steps, but unfortunatly this is one of the worst books on the subject I've had the misfortune to buy. The method is confusing, incomplete, and, contrary to its tag line, not easy to follow. None of the scripts I've tried have worked, and none of the chapters lesson give what should be a fairly bog standard offering: the resulting script. For example,the chapter on enlarging thumbnails has 7 steps: each one goes back the former, but gives no clear description of syntax, or format. All it would have taken for this book to have been useful was a summary at the end of each lesson showing the built script in full. Utterly useless to a novice JavaScript writer, and completely miss-sold. How this ever got by a competent editor is beyond me. Avoid at all costs.
on 15 November 2014
A very useful guide for my college course, I agree with some other posters here that some previous coding experience would be beneficial, but not a necessity, the online resources provided along with the info in the book will allow novices to gain valuable experience, and for amateurs this book is a very handy tool. Thanks seller, great price, great service, hopefully a good college grade will follow haha!
on 4 July 2015
Perhaps useful as a reference, the style is very dry and un-engaging. The "steps" are confusing and unnecessarily repetitive and there is no full code-listing for each exercise, which to me is one of the main reasons to have a book instead of learning online. No creativity is encouraged and no links made between the one-per-page topics.
on 27 November 2012
This book was also recommended by the university and has been helpful in achieving my goal in completing my module successfully. Easy to follow and plenty of examples with the source code available from the website.
on 11 February 2012
Excellent! I have read several of Mike McGrath's Easy Steps computer books (HTML, Javascript etc). They are excellent for really thick people like me. I can put them down and pick them up on the train/bus etc; whenever I have a few spare moments. He goes down to a basic level of detail which is informative for idiots; he doesn't assume people know anything. I know that by the time I have finished the books I will have touched all the major features of the programming language; I can then go on to YouTube and research further using the multitude of free tutorials. One of the pitfalls of self-teaching is that you don't know whether you have missed out important topics and features. With these books as a basic skeleton, I feel confident that I will probably cover all points.
on 23 November 2014
Excellent introduction to JavaScript. Takes you through the stages in nice simple steps.
on 24 November 2015
Not as "easy" as it says. Too much assumed knowledge on the part of the reader.
on 12 November 2009
I now need to use JavaScript in my job, so I wanted something which would give me a basic understanding before I delved deeper. This book fits the bill admirably - I had heard of JavaScript, but I had no real idea what it did or how it did it. Now I understand what a powerful tool it can be, but with great power comes great responsibility...sorry, been watching too many Spiderman DVDs! Seriously, if you, like me, are a total newcomer to JavaScript, this is an ideal place to start.
on 21 December 2010
It's amazing how many script errors this book contains. I've only got as far as chapter three and have found errors on page 25, 27, 41, 45 & 47. That's a 25 percent failure rate. Very sloppy work.
on 30 June 2009
I got this to add stuff to my website.
It gives examples of what words to write in a html page to get, for example, a welcome message.
The instructions are unclear, not in a logical order and not accompanied by screenshots of what the finished lines of text should look like.
If you struggle through and follow the instructions (and of course proofread your text- vitally important) the resulting web pages do not produce any effects. (well not in Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari anyway). If you are especially thorough you may go back inserting/removing spaces between the characters where the layout in the book is not clear. You get the same result.
The editor of this book should have tried to do the examples before he passed it to the printers.

Frank