5.0 out of 5 stars The best introduction to Java you can buy.
If you want to start learning Java you can't go wrong with this book. It is a great introduction to the language in easy to read English as opposed to the unfriendly tecnospeak of other "beginners" books. I am a fan on Mike McGrath's style for three reasons:

1 He makes no assumptions about the readers prior knowledge,

2 His style is very readable;...
Published on 18 Feb 2007 by C. Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars JAVA in easy steps by Mike McGrath
Published on 13 Feb 2009 by Mr. Gavin Robbins

5.0 out of 5 stars The best introduction to Java you can buy., 18 Feb 2007
C. Smith "chris0161" (Manchester, UK.) - See all my reviews

1 He makes no assumptions about the readers prior knowledge,

2 His style is very readable; you can pick up the book, read a page and put it down again if you want,

3 He starts with simple ideas and builds on them to explain more complex ideas.

The only downside is this book is not in colour unlike the excellent Linux in Easy Steps, but this in no way detracts from an excellent book.

Buy this book and learn Java!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introductory book., 16 Sep 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Java in Easy Steps (Paperback)
Arriving at uni and finding that we'd be using Java as our primary programming language (i'd previously only used BASIC), I tried to find a simple book to get me started...
"Java In Easy Steps" is a brilliant book in this respect: simple, concise examples that are fully explained and give you an excelent introduction to the Java language. By the end of the book you will have aquired a good understanding on Java and be able to write fairly sophisticated programs.
As this is quite a small book (192 pages) it cannot cover all of the extensive Java API, but there is more than enough here to get you started and a page of 'resources' (i.e. websites) for further reading if you'd like to explore Java any further.
I found this book very useful and a lot easier to follow than a much larger 'recomended textbook' for my course (which cost about 40...). All in all, a great book for beginners and intermediate Java programmers. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars JAVA in easy steps by Mike McGrath, 13 Feb 2009
This review is from: Java in Easy Steps (Paperback)
I have found that this book is a nice insight into JAVA, but I'm a little disappointed by all of the mistakes/omissions in the book, such as missing syntax, necessary for the programs to work! The downloadable files are of course correct, but I would have been happier not to have had to rely on them.. I would prefer the book to become my point of reference for my future programming needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for Beginners and Intermediate Programmers, 29 April 2008
BookFans (Solihull, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Java in Easy Steps (Paperback)
This is an excellent book for starters. Mike Mcgarth is an expert in explaining complicated stuff in simple and plain english. This book takes you from Basics upto complicated Threads. The author also gives further resources to be explored. Lastly the layout and illustrations of the book is very good i,e mostly one page deals with one sub topic.

I have rated this as 4 start for 2 reason .

Reason one is, The author has used JPad pro as IDE which is available only as Shareware. He could have used Eclipse or JCreator which have freeware versions.

Reason two is, The author has not discussed anything about java debugging.

Still I recommend this as a top book for beginners. Also my background SAP and I'am an ABAP Programmer.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good place to start, 6 July 2009
J. Blythe (Warrington UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Java in Easy Steps (Paperback)
Its a good book and starts very basic with lots of examples and exercises. I quickly found that it doesnt go into enough detail, after a week, you'll be looking for something else....

5.0 out of 5 stars the best for beginneres !, 16 Nov 2009
This review is from: Java in Easy Steps (Paperback)
This book is very fantastic it's really easy steps and easier than what I thought before I buy this book.
In shortly, wealth to buy !

5.0 out of 5 stars Java in a Microwave!, 3 Mar 2006
This review is from: Java in Easy Steps (Paperback)
It's a perfect book for biginners and a very good fast reference for all levels...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - buy it and you won't be sorry, 24 Dec 2013
Mr. Michael Ward (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best computer books I have ever read (and I own a few believe me!). It is well written, so simple to follow for the novice without being patronising and demystifies Java from the start.

It is comprehensive and logically laid out.

Whizzed through this in a few hours (albeit previous programming knowledge helped) but I feel anyone interested in Java would benefit from this.

Top book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little book, 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: Java in Easy Steps (Paperback)
I purchased Head First Java and Java in Easy Steps at the same time to prepare for a college course I'm undertaking in August. The reviews were excellent for both books, but for me, Mike McGrath's book trounces the Head First Java - and at a third of the price.

The book is in full colour and tastefully laid out with help on installing the Java Development Kit properly and making sure the correct paths are set up. The information is presented in a clear, straightforward manner and everything is explained well enough that I don't think an additional outside source is needed - unlike the Head First Java book which is a complete, unfunny mess.

I can recommend Java in easy steps 100% and after just a week can program small but useful programs and have assured myself I will be able to conquer my I.T. course in a few months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 11 Nov 2011
This review is from: Java in Easy Steps (Paperback)
This is useful for all beginners. If you are looking for more advanced coding material this is the wrong book.

Java in Easy Steps
Java in Easy Steps by Mike McGrath (Paperback - 31 Dec 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01