5.0 out of 5 stars A most useful and time-saving "do-it-yourself" Perl book.
Published on 6 Jun 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy steps? more like tiny steps then a giant leap!!
Published on 1 May 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A most useful and time-saving "do-it-yourself" Perl book., 6 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: CGI and Perl in Easy Steps (Paperback)
As a professional client-side web developer, I finally came to a point where I had to learn some Perl for more advanced interactivity and control. Much of my needs are CGI and forms, with a fair share of server side scripting. Now, I have several Perl books on my desk, including a couple of very thick ones. The one that has become worn out most is this "Easy Steps" book.
If one has at least a little understanding of Javascript and a vague idea of Perl syntax which are somewhat similar, and has experience in HTML (else why would he need Perl?), for him this book is a major time-saving aid. It is like a good "build-it-yourself" book for a home master. If you are sort of a handyman, then a little clever guidance, tips and examples that you can follow can lead you to accomplish a lot even if you do not fully know how an electrical tool works or what cement mix consists of.
In fact, most of the Perl tasks that a typical web developer faces boil down to a rather simple CGI. Unless excess skill costs are of no concern, it DOES NOT take a Perl guru to build forms, make cookies or install passwords... It takes a little learning effort and a good manual. Which this book is.
When I went through "Perl & CGI in Easy Steps" for the first time, I made a note of what I can turn to it for, and since then have been opening it over and over again.
Good job, Mr. McGrath. I only wish those examples were available on line for copy and paste - would save even more time for Perl students and practitioners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting started on interactive web design., 16 Feb 2011
This review is from: CGI and Perl in Easy Steps (Paperback)
I paid the grandiose sum of 1p to by this old book. Perl may not be everyone's choice, but this is one way of getting started on interactive web design.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy steps? more like tiny steps then a giant leap!!, 1 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: CGI and Perl in Easy Steps (Paperback)
I found this book confusing to say the least. I was looking for a basic guide for someone who has not had any experience in Perl & CGI, and I have found a book which explains everything twice (once in a normal way and then again later in a more confusing way). I did find it very easy on the eyes as it had some nice screen shots but after getting to chapter fourteen I looked at the code and thought "I haven't learnt a thing!". Confusing and a bit of a bad training book, but I have to admit it would be a good reference book for debugging simple code or adding basic operations. It would have been better if it had some form of test after each chapter, rather than a written example which can be just copied exactly and it works without any effort.

CGI and Perl in Easy Steps
CGI and Perl in Easy Steps by Computer Step (Paperback - 25 Jan 2001)
Used & New from: 0.01