Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 7 February 2012
First thing to say is that the concept for this book is brilliant. Immediately you know that'll it'll be a tongue in cheek type of book and indeed it is. Those who thought otherwise and expected an encyclopaedic book comprehensively listing all hiding places in England, Wales and Scotland will be disappointed. Instead you get 62 hiding places spread out across the nations, quite a lot of them on or near the coast so if you live there you're in luck. These come with nuggets of information such as what natural foods are abundant there to eat and where is the nearest toilet. They also come with pictures. These are black and white so are sometimes difficult to see properly and would definitely have been better in colour.

Amongst all the hiding places there are other articles about hiding, like a basics guide, how to hide up a tree and how to put on a disguise. There are also articles about famous people that have gone into hiding such as Agatha Christie and Robert the Bruce and why, where and how they hid (these are inspiration for newbie hiders).

The whole book is written with humour, most of it working, the rest not working for me thanks to the usage of some obscure quotes or references or some clever language that I just didn't get. I enjoyed this book and if I ever become a fugitive I may just take it with me.
on 23 October 2006
There are lots of so-called 'humorous' writers out there but in the case of many such books (eg. Lynne Truss), the humour wanes pretty quickly and/or becomes repetitive/obvious/forced/generally boring/silly.

Not so Places to Hide, which doesn't pretend to do anything except take itself utterly seriously. The directory-style format of this book doesn't necessarily make for an easy through-read experience - at first it seems it's more of an amusing loo-break pick-up - but the writing is curiously addictive, and once you've started reading some of the entries, you'll find yourself spending hours on the bog (appropriately enough for a hideout book): 'just one more, then I'll get on with the day'.

Dixe Wills has a knack of taking a perfectly ordinary subject and turning it into a batty parallel universe. Forget Irony for Dummies: this is a masterclass in how to get away with the ludicrous by being completely hilarious. In fact, the scenarios he creates are so funny that when someone hammers on the door and asks how long you're going to be, you realise how boring normal life really is.

I defy anyone to read this and not to laugh at least once.
on 18 January 2010
I got this book for christmas. First couple of pages made me smile, but as the book wore on it became less and less funny. There doesn't seem to be much to it after the (admittedly entertaining) premise. Treat this one as a joke book that might be funny the first time, but you certainly wouldn't want to reread it.

Shame really, I feel he could have done much more with the ideas in this book, but the whole thing is undermined by the fairly lame, lumbering sense of humour.
on 26 August 2008
OK it is amusing and irreverent in style but its not the hillarious guide to the UK I was expecting - ie. not a guide to good, off-the-beaten-track places to go in the UK. Quite surreal - def a boy's book of odd facts and eccentricities.
on 19 October 2006
After the stellar success of the Z to Z of Great Britain, Dixe Wills is back with another humorous guide to our fair isle.

Whether you are a professional hider, enthusiastic amateur or even if you are frankly confused by the whole thing, this book is what you've been waiting for. Where else in modern literature could you come across such linguistic gems as: "Hills - lovely in the wild but far too cumbersome for the average lounge". Wit and hilarity of the highest order.
on 7 August 2015
Not a reading i'd suggest. It's more on the spectacular description than a serious review of how to detach from modern stressful urban life as i expected.
on 25 March 2014
lovely book with no real stress in reading it. Some places I have known yould be as good but not sure.
on 17 November 2010
I am really looking forward to another edition of this book... but written by somebody else(!)

What a shame! The title and concept really hit a chord with me.. I even quite like the format and writing style.. but unfortunately the finished product is just too weak and clumsy.

It reminds me of my own attempts at humorous writing, whilst still at school.

'6th form humour'..........?
on 28 October 2009
Tapping into that latent desire in us all to spend some time withdrawing from the rest of humanity, this enchanting book gives you all the information you could possibly need. Even if you aren't that interested in hiding, it gives a fascinating insight into lesser known parts of the UK.
on 18 December 2010
I had hoped that this would turn out to be entertaining and informative along the lines of "Bollocks to Alton Towers". It was not to be. It is not even cutting it as a "Loo Book".

It's £4.99 of my hard earned gelt I will never see again.