5.0 out of 5 stars great teaching aid, as well as fun
My 7-yr old Doctor Who-addicted son just made me buy this, and I was thinking it would be a little dry and dusty for him, but he's fascinated, and so am I! It's written in a very straight-forward style, and stays tied in closely with the show (including the newest series), rather than going on about time travel etc too long.

We've only just read the first bit...
Published on 13 April 2007 by B. Murray

3.0 out of 5 stars too grounded in reality
I was a bit diappointed by this book - I was expecting something more to do with the science of Doctor Who within itself rather than how it could work in the real world (because that's not really the point!)
Published on 8 May 2009 by lizwisch89

5.0 out of 5 stars great teaching aid, as well as fun, 13 April 2007
B. Murray - See all my reviews

We've only just read the first bit about the Doctor's two hearts and already my son has asked me a million questions about the human cardio-vascular system and Isaac Newton. He's going to be a very knowledgable boy by the end of this book!

I really do recommend this for fans, and those parents who want to engender an interest in science in their kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it! It will make you clever!, 15 Aug 2006
This review is from: The Science of Doctor Who (Dr Who) (Hardcover)
Having watched countless episodes of Doctor Who, and see the many seemingly impossible sciences behind the stories, I awaited for the release of this Book with great excitement.

Paul Parsons manages to knit together the many science-based questions behind Doctor Who, with clear, concise, and in some cases, alarmingly enlightening answers.

I have read many books over the years, but this one has to be one of the most unique and mind-opening.

Read it! It will make you clever!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lighthearted but proper science, 9 Dec 2013
John Hopper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a lighthearted but thought provokingly credible attempt to look at the scientific plausibility and feasibility of phenomena seen in Doctor Who, such as faster than light travel, regeneration, Dalek and Cybermen development, the Eye of Harmony, E-Space, sonic screwdrivers, etc. Some of these are reasonable extrapolations of current or near future science, some based on real world theoretical concepts, others flat out impossible. Good fun and one can learn a fair bit as well. 4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for all!, 20 Aug 2007
This book is amazing - despite being hard t grasp in parts, its really interesting, debating and explaining theoretical time travel and explaining how the doctor's gadgets, gizmos and even the TARDIS could work in real life. I would even recommend this to non-doctor who fans, because the book is so interesting due to the science it explains.

Also almost all ages can read this as long as they have had a decent physics teacher. I am 16 and just come out of school so I'm not exactly a science expert! yet I can still understand 99% of the science explained.

In conclusion this book is fab! i would recommend to doctorwho fans and scientists alike!

3.0 out of 5 stars too grounded in reality, 8 May 2009
Nevertheless, it is detailed in its descriptions and uses easy to understand laguage - however it can feel a little patronising at times as every little thing seems to be explained
It'd be a good book for GCSE level or below, but anyone above this might get a bit frustrated with it

The Science of Doctor Who (Dr Who)
The Science of Doctor Who (Dr Who) by Paul Parsons (Hardcover - 30 Mar 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01