5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for those who need to dip in and out, 13 Sept. 2007
This review is from: 365: Great Stories from History for Every Day of the Year: Compact Edition (Icon 365) (Paperback)
365: Great Stories from History for Every Day of the Year is a book whereby each day offers a brief treaty of an event or person e.g. A Tudor monarch. During that article it will mention their son/daughter/mother or a battle they fought at in a passing sentence which subsequently goes on to become a full article in it's own right on a different day.

By the end of the book it's possible to have a passable knowledge of British, European, Classical and American history having read no more than 3 pages on any one specific topic. It may sound as if it could be fragmented but certainly doesn't read that way.

I enjoyed the book a lot and echo another reviewers comments that it gives you the desire to read more about some of the topics that you otherwise might not have considered.

The only caveat I give is that I was able to spot a couple of errors in the book and I'm no historian. For example on the biography of Thomas Jefferson the book states as fact that he fathered children by one of his slaves Sally Hemings. Although DNA test results have been studied I believe the current position is still open to interpretation. Would this stop me buying the book again, no.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to start knowledge of history and potential to explore further, 23 July 2007
Helen (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
The book has a different event from each day in history. Each article is not very long - longest is about 3 pages. Then at the end it mentions a few more events that had happened. You can pick it up and just read that days' history. Also is a good source to pick a period of history or a person in history to explore further. I am starting to read about the Middle Ages due to gaining interest from reading the entries from that period.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who think history is boring - this book proves its not!, 27 Jan. 2008
I bought this book as I was in the mood for reading but nothing too involved or heavy. This book turned out to be an ideal choice. I love the way its written, almost like reading a newspaper article, informative, to the point and entertaining and even a bit "gossipy" in places! It has stirred my interest in historical events and historical characaters who previously held no fascination for me. As a result, I've read some superb historical fiction and visited many places in a desire to learn more. I see there is now a 366 (it was a leap year!) Great Stories from History on sale. I shall be buying this as a gift for friends and family as I'm sure they'll enjoy it too. Highly recommended. But beware, you could become hooked on history!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stories - great fun too!, 12 Jan. 2006
This book is ideal for amateur lovers of history. Most lay readers don't want massive tomes on very specific topics, but this fantastic book gives about a page or a page and a half of just the right amount of information to bring an event or character to life and leave you wanting to find out more.
Each entry is specific to a different day. I actually bought the book to serve as a desk calendar, reading one entry a day, and this is ideal. You can also gem up on date-specific trivia, too, such as finding out that Krakatoa erupted on your birthday, or wedding day!
I also like the fact that after the featured story, each day ends with a list of other memorable events that happened on that date in history.
It has sent me to the internet a number of times to research topics more deeply. All in all - well worth it. A little gem!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 17 Feb. 2013
This was bought a a gift but my husband already has the book & I know he enjoyed it. The book is good for people who are not avid readers as it has a short entry for each day of the year

5.0 out of 5 stars Daily Enjoyment, 2 Nov. 2009
There only seems there has to be a fly on the wall in our house and out comes this book. Packed with facts but rather dissappointed I wasn't mentioned on my birthday.