Format: Audio Cassette|Change

on 12 August 2000
There is a wonderful frankness in the way Thora writes. She doesn't pull any punches when it comes to bureaucratic behaviour by BBC Commisionaires and Security staff. However she is able to draw you in so that you want to find out more. I listened to this book on audio cassette in my car and found it most frustrating when I had finished my journey, only to switch Thora off. I longed to play-on to hear many of her humorous escapades. I loved the time she was so funny that it made someones teeth fall out! Thora is a wonderful encourager, and her recognition of Derec Longden's comedy talents, and the ability of Alan Bennett to write words that are truly meaningful, like his 'Fish and Two', has helped these writers to develop their style. Thora portrays very dramatically the quandry she feels as an actress having to use lines and words that could be offensive in some circles. Having decided to say these words like in 'Waiting for the Telegram' she has a gift that delivers them with such power and emotion that they become secondary to the underlying plot. Thora Hird is like the Queen Mother of show business and I hope that she will still be entertaining us when Thora is 100 years of age.
on 9 April 2000
Thora brings us up to date with the last two years of her health and her career. Considering her frail health and her mobility difficulties, she manages to achieve an awful lot. Thora describes some of her many friends,including Alan Bennet, Bill Owen from Last Of The Summer Wine , and numerous others as if she is sat along side with you in the living room ! A very enjoyable read, Can't wait for the next one.
on 28 January 2002
I enjoyed this book by Thora Hird, I liked the chapter about Thora appearing in Deric Longden's play called A PLAY ON WORDS and I could imagine as I was reading it about cameras, positioning of scenes etc.
I am a fan of Summer Wine and so I could relate to that as well.
A good book!
on 5 August 2001
This book gives you a complete insite to Thora's life on and off screen, being introduced to all the people in her life and how she proceeds them. It is one of those books for a Sunday night, full of laughter and intrege. You get to see a real insite of how Thora is in normal surrounds and how she handles life at her age, which i must say, increable well. The entrys in the book are of her day to day life some of which is sad whilst others are funny, you will see that she is an ingreable busy person and loves all that she meets with not a strong word to say about anyone, she doesnt prejudge! A fully recommended book for a Sunday night or come to think of it any night of the week!!
on 9 February 2015
Bought as a gift. Recipient very happy.
on 6 December 2014