Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 December 2009
I always enjoy a yearly Fred Basset book and I have the set 1963 to date. A certain page on a certain site is mostly my creation, so I know Fred very well & have read him for over 30 years! For newer readers discovering the subtle delights of Fred, he is best read a few at a time in a reading session, as his daily appearances singly can be a bit abstract by themselves.

These newer Michael Martin strips carry on the Alex Graham era well still, a nice one in this book is Fred's family finding the 1963 first annual in a bookshop and commenting on it. Fred Basset does have some great knowing surreal moments like that making it a joy to read!

A problem is the printing: the newspaper & online versions look crisp, but these look like 1980s photocopies making the finer print detail, like fences & their sofa pattern not print too good. You'd have thought they'd have updated it by now to get perfect prints. Some vintage 1920s books reprint their newspaper strips better, as in the Felix the Cat annuals! Or maybe that's purposely done to keep a retro feel? Why no colour strips anymore either? The gocomics site version is usually in colour so why not the book?
on 2 November 2009
I loved this book, up to the usual Fred Basset standard and as I have 3 Basset Hounds, very true to Basset behaviour. Gave me many chuckles and a few reminders of my own hounds, well worth giving to any dog lover as well as any Basset Hound owner you know.
on 30 November 2009
Another annual collection of this famous cartoon character. It is good to record that with Alex Graham's death the legend has continued and goes from strength to strength. Regular aficionados of Fred Bassett won't be disappointed.
on 4 December 2012
received a good service and the quality of purchase was excellent. I would use this buyer again in the future
on 24 December 2009
Fred Basset never fails to put a smile on my face and this year's Yearbook is no exception. Great!
on 21 March 2010
This book was bought as a gift and the recipient was delighted with it so what more can I say?
on 4 July 2014