5.0 out of 5 stars More Merde Mirth
Yes Serge Bastarde is his real name, so ex Darts Drummer John Dummer, also from seminal 60's band The John Dummer Blues Band, assures us. I do believe him as it is a common name in the south of France where he lives. After serving his term in the music business as the drummer for the aforementioned groups and managing 80's band The Screaming Blue Messiahs, John upped...
Published on 10 Oct. 2011 by Kristopher Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable
Yet another 'Brit moves Abroad' saga, but I enjoyed it. Light-hearted and humorous, it's not a great literary work, doesn't require too much deep thought, but does what is says on the tin, which is to entertain. Worth a read.
Published on 5 April 2010 by Rose Wood

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A rather limp baguette, 4 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Serge Bastarde Ate My Baguette: On the Road in the Real Rural France (Paperback)
This is an collection of stories in the genre 'expat has amusing experiences after moving to rural France', and there are some good insights, but it is not very well written and a bit lightweight. I enjoyed it all the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serge Bastarde ate my Bagette, 28 Aug. 2009
Tony, Gsy. (Guernsey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This is a very funny franco-file type book and a must for light holiday type reading, I look forward to reading a sequel. As a person who has been visiting France for over 35 years I can relate to a number of the experiances related in this book. Well done John Dummer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Struggled through this with little enthusiasm, 13 May 2015
Okay book but a little tedious at times

5.0 out of 5 stars serge bastarde ate my baguette, 1 Mar. 2010
This is the first book I have ever read. I found it funny, interesting, hard to put down and a pleasure to read. It as also quite informative.

Please write more

5.0 out of 5 stars "superb!!!!, 9 Nov. 2010
blodwyn "welshgirl" (F.O.D. Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
What a funny book!! I have seen these "type" of sellers in France and often wondered what they "actually" did -Now I know!!

a throughly recommened read !!

3.0 out of 5 stars French Test = Low Stars, 9 April 2013
Too predictable

Trying to copy A Year in Provence

Doesn't work for me

I suggest this is not on your must read list

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 5 Feb. 2012
This is readable but the narrative lacks the real warmth and subtle detail that makes travel writing so wonderful. The story is essentially one of Serge Bastarde - a character who is attempted to be portrayed as a lovable rogue - and although there are a few quirky insights it's often just as simply written as "then this had happened...."

I'd recommend to give it a miss for the price it is, perhaps if it was 0.99£ it would be an ok read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of life in France, 24 Aug. 2010
Very amusing, lightly written, couldn't put it down. Is this the life of antiques dealers in France?

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 25 Aug. 2014
Funny and a bit different

5.0 out of 5 stars SO FUNNY, 9 July 2014