5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first book
The book is well written and very witty with strong likeable characters.
You cannot help but fall in love with the author's character. She seems like a Bridget Jones let loose in the French countryside, getting into a lot of funny situations with both ex-pat English and French locals like, as she adjusts to a totally different way of life.

It gives hope to...
Published on 6 July 2009 by I. Hitchman

1.0 out of 5 stars Tout Annoying
This woman only drinks Evian. She doesn't have a glass of water. She doesn't eat vegetables. She eats ORGANIC vegetables. Yes, yes, we get it. You've come from big big London to little, tiny backwoods France and you seem to completely need a man. Always. So tedious. So annoying. Do not pick up this book.

She goes for a walk and after having walked for 'some...
Published 11 months ago by probinhodge

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars tout sweet, 24 Sep 2009
Dean Smalley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tout Sweet: Hanging Up my High Heels for a New Life in France (Paperback)
wow, fantastic, i sent it to mum in england, and she read it and then brought it to me in france, as i am onlt an hour from poitiers , i recognised a lot of places, very funny book,lots i could relate to as i moved here , single 5 years ago and run a bed and breakfast, all my friends are now reading it, and awaiting the second book, to here about the adventures of the dog, thanks dean france

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 14 Sep 2009
S. Pecover (England) - See all my reviews
This book is really great. It's interesting, funny and gives a good account of the author's highs and lows of starting a new life in rural France. The characters are well described and the changing seasons are portrayed beautifully. Having been to various areas of rural France I could envisage so much!! I had difficulty putting it down once I'd started reading it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bon appetit, 7 Sep 2009
Elaine Adams (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent book - well written, funny, laughed out loud at times - and not many authors have that effect on me.

It appeared a very honest account, heart rending at times but the writer triumphs in the end. Very descriptive, shows her love of the country despite its shortcomings sometimes. Very realistic and well done Karen.

I'm thinking of moving to France and this spurs you on but gives you a realistic touch to what can be a romantic thought at times - living in Bon France.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!!!, 12 April 2012
Lucy Wilson (Granada, Spain) - See all my reviews
What a wonderful book. Finished it in one sitting, beautifully written, addictive and extremely funny. It definitely has the "feel good" factor. A real treat!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet read, 6 Mar 2012
I do enjoy this escapism style of book,very amusing and entertaining.It is a light-hearted look at life in rural France and I am sure the author embellished some of the facts to make the story more interesting. I think things do not always run as smoothly for some ex-pats moving to France, but I do not think anyone would regret buying this book and getting lost in it's romantic folly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magnifique!!!!!, 8 Aug 2010
I picked up this book in a random independent bookshop - and boy am i glad i did!!! The story flowed so effortlessly and i really got a sense that the words, descriptions and sentiments were genuine and heart felt.
After umming and arring about moving down to france myself (as a single 31 old woman living in london) i am now going to take the plunge. Karen Wheeler has been a real inspiration to me and the only complaint about the book was that it came to an end - subsequently i am over the moon to discover that there is a second book - which i have ordered!!!
Thanks again to Karen for being such an honest writer and for inspiring me.
HIGHLY recommend this book!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Danny's review, 18 Feb 2010
I am a person who would never write a review, but having read the book and met Karen I will give it a go.

I suppose the direct comparison for the book is a version of Bridget Jones, without the Darcy.

It's definitely an entertaining read that moves warmly through the tranquil settings of rural France. The book's location does sit on a bit of a backdrop when the real story is of an individual out of her depth recovering from a lost love. The concept of lost love is the core theme and given Karen's character sometimes you want to shout at her and the others you just want to hug her.

Part of the fun is not understanding Karen's actions, governed by her slight naivety, but having said that it does give the book its warmth and holds the reader well.

There was a time when I had to be up at 6a.m. but I found myself in bed with Karen till 3am. So I guess from that perspective I am looking forward to her next book.

Regards

Danny

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories!, 8 Feb 2010
I have spent the weekend in grey London tucked up on my sofa totally absorbed in Tout Sweet! Having lived in small town, rural France as part of my university studies some years ago, I identified with many things you wrote about and it brought back so many wonderful memories so thank you. Congratulations on such a brilliant read and I hope there will be more instalments to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tout Sweet, 2 Feb 2010
N. Renou (London) - See all my reviews
Being part of a book club I was looking for some lighter reading material and was completely taken over by this wonderful book! It was just what I needed for the long winter evenings at home. Being French myself I really appreciated the fact that Karen Wheeler did not fall into the trap of the caricature of the French builder arriving late for the renovation on the house or of the chain smoking garlic smelling 'typical' French peasant, incapable of any refinement. Moreover the unexpected twists in the story make for a light hearted but truly believable story......I am looking forward to reading the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tres bon!, 31 Jan 2010
Have just finished reading this book and have to say what a delight it was. I want to move to France eventually and this has has inspired me even more. The multitude of characters that Karen met ( and has yet to meet) were varied and very entertaining. Miranda, Jon, David and Elinor .. the list is endless ... all had their own stories to tell. The saga of the log burner was brilliant....do you know what? Just read it for yourself Tout Sweet: Hanging Up My High Heels for a New Life in Rural France- you will not be disappointed!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

Tout Sweet: Hanging Up my High Heels for a New Life in France
Tout Sweet: Hanging Up my High Heels for a New Life in France by Karen Wheeler (Paperback - 6 July 2009)
6.29