5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first book
The book is well written and very witty with strong likeable characters.
You cannot help but fall in love with the author's character. She seems like a Bridget Jones let loose in the French countryside, getting into a lot of funny situations with both ex-pat English and French locals like, as she adjusts to a totally different way of life.

It gives hope to...
Published on 6 July 2009 by I. Hitchman

1.0 out of 5 stars Tout Annoying
This woman only drinks Evian. She doesn't have a glass of water. She doesn't eat vegetables. She eats ORGANIC vegetables. Yes, yes, we get it. You've come from big big London to little, tiny backwoods France and you seem to completely need a man. Always. So tedious. So annoying. Do not pick up this book.

She goes for a walk and after having walked for 'some...
Published 11 months ago by probinhodge

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first book, 6 July 2009
I. Hitchman (Cheltenham , England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tout Sweet: Hanging Up my High Heels for a New Life in France (Paperback)
The book is well written and very witty with strong likeable characters.

It gives hope to anyone who is considering escaping the UK for a better way of life, that no matter what your background is, you can succeed in the face of adversity and have some great fun along the way.

This book will make you laugh out loud, it's such a great read. It was difficult to put down once I had opened the front cover.
Well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect escape, 6 July 2009
Ann Fairweather (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I was sorry when I finished 'Tout sweet' because I could have stayed a lot longer with Karen in Poitou, sharing her crazy but sweet time there !
Bravely leaving behind a cushy, luxurious lifestyle in London (bit of a Carry Bradshaw there maybe ! ), Karen roughs it up in a rural, peaceful village of Poitou Charentes, while renovating an old house 'Maison Coquelicot', her new home. Hoping to find the next Great Love, Karen quickly mixes with the locals, french and british expats, all very quirky but endearing individuals. Well written and very funny, the author, an immediately loveable character, finds herself in hilarious and difficult situations, not least because of the pecularities of french etiquette !
If not the first english person to take the road to gaelic pastures, Karen's book stands out by its inherent humour, quality of writing and engaging tone that leaves one wishing for more of Karen's adventures in Poitou!
Perfect summer read or at anytime one needs some fresh air and mental escape !

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for a rainy Saturday, 3 Aug 2009
M. Butler - See all my reviews
I was so delighted that my copy of this fabulous book arrived on Saturday as it was a rainy, miserbale day giving me the perfect excuse to curl up with a cuppa and dream about a life abroad!

Karen Wheeler's writing style is enthusiastic and engaging and her story feel good...with the weather this summer so inclement it's a shame this is her first book as it will bring a ray of sunshine into the heart of any reader as it did mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious - I loved every minute of it, 6 July 2009
Noel Kingsley (London, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This is such a great read, I couldn't put it down. It's an extremely funny and true account of a woman starting a new life in France....alone. While seeking to attract a handsome and 'useful' male, the author is equally dodging unsuitables. You cannot help but love her natural enthusiasm and her fun personality. Karen Wheeler's writing brings her experiences vividly to life to make this first book a real page turner. Hilarious and brilliant.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tout Annoying, 21 Aug 2013

She goes for a walk and after having walked for 'some hours' she happens upon the local gay baker. Not a big deal of course but in the next para we find that on returning to the village she has walked for nearly two hours. So which is it? Some hours or nearly two? Yes, tedious.

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely ADORED this book! So charming and funny., 16 July 2009
Christopher Yu (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I just finished reading Tout Sweet in one sitting. The book only arrived yesterday morning in the post and I have now in one and a half days come to the last page. The story was so charming and enchanting. It was the perfect antidote to this terrible summer in London, being able to escape in my head to idyllic France and into the world of the author.

The characters were so funny and I felt myself warming to each and every one - I only hope we read more about them in her next book.

Far less clichéd than Peter Mayle and the like, this is THE `moving to France' story for me. And with the author's sprinkling of glamour - this is my favourite `feel-good' book of 2009!

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY ENJOYABLE READ, 11 Nov 2009
D. J. Bonser - See all my reviews
What a pleasure to get a book that is impossible to put down. I read it in a few days, and am looking forward to the next installment Toute Allure. All the more interesting as it is "real life" - Well done Karen and good luck with the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars vive la france, 4 Nov 2009
G. M. Causer "gelong" (england) - See all my reviews
A book I couldn't put down. Entertaining, amusing and informative at the same time. If you know this part of France then you will recognise the way of life and the lovely folk who live there. If I was years younger it would encourage me to move there and enjoy the life. Thanks you Karen for reminding me in such a good way of what so many of us have missed. I look forward to the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars j'adore!, 27 Oct 2009
I loved this book. It is charming, honest, funny, inspirational and beautifully written. I love France and the author has really captured the essence of la vie Francaise as an expat starting a new life in a new country... Read this book and you'll be transported to a land of lavender, baguettes and wine. Can't wait for the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tres Bon Affaire!, 15 Oct 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful book from cover to end as Ms Wheeler charts her entry into her new life in rural France. Eschewing a formulaic approach taken by some second-life novels, Ms Wheeler bravely allows us into her inner emotions, both highs and lows. As an added spice to an already tasty recipie, the book has apparently ruffled the feathers of one or more local characters who believe that their clandestine antics have inspired a character or two! Bravo to Ms Wheeler for boldly lifting the lid off this steamy pot a feu!

Tout Sweet: Hanging Up my High Heels for a New Life in France
Tout Sweet: Hanging Up my High Heels for a New Life in France by Karen Wheeler (Paperback - 6 July 2009)
6.29