5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect escape
I was sorry when I finished 'Tout sweet' because I could have stayed a lot longer with Karen in Poitou, sharing her crazy but sweet time there !
Published on 6 July 2009 by Ann Fairweather

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
1.0 out of 5 stars Tout Annoying
This woman only drinks Evian. She doesn't have a glass of water. She doesn't eat vegetables. She eats ORGANIC vegetables. Yes, yes, we get it. You've come from big big London to little, tiny backwoods France and you seem to completely need a man. Always. So tedious. So annoying. Do not pick up this book.

She goes for a walk and after having walked for 'some...
Published 20 months ago by probinhodge

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect escape, 6 July 2009
Ann Fairweather (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tout Sweet: Hanging Up my High Heels for a New Life in France (Paperback)
Bravely leaving behind a cushy, luxurious lifestyle in London (bit of a Carry Bradshaw there maybe ! ), Karen roughs it up in a rural, peaceful village of Poitou Charentes, while renovating an old house 'Maison Coquelicot', her new home. Hoping to find the next Great Love, Karen quickly mixes with the locals, french and british expats, all very quirky but endearing individuals. Well written and very funny, the author, an immediately loveable character, finds herself in hilarious and difficult situations, not least because of the pecularities of french etiquette !
If not the first english person to take the road to gaelic pastures, Karen's book stands out by its inherent humour, quality of writing and engaging tone that leaves one wishing for more of Karen's adventures in Poitou!
Perfect summer read or at anytime one needs some fresh air and mental escape !

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for a rainy Saturday, 3 Aug. 2009
M. Butler - See all my reviews
I was so delighted that my copy of this fabulous book arrived on Saturday as it was a rainy, miserbale day giving me the perfect excuse to curl up with a cuppa and dream about a life abroad!

Karen Wheeler's writing style is enthusiastic and engaging and her story feel good...with the weather this summer so inclement it's a shame this is her first book as it will bring a ray of sunshine into the heart of any reader as it did mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first book, 6 July 2009
I. Hitchman (Cheltenham , England) - See all my reviews
The book is well written and very witty with strong likeable characters.
You cannot help but fall in love with the author's character. She seems like a Bridget Jones let loose in the French countryside, getting into a lot of funny situations with both ex-pat English and French locals like, as she adjusts to a totally different way of life.

It gives hope to anyone who is considering escaping the UK for a better way of life, that no matter what your background is, you can succeed in the face of adversity and have some great fun along the way.

This book will make you laugh out loud, it's such a great read. It was difficult to put down once I had opened the front cover.
Well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious - I loved every minute of it, 6 July 2009
Noel Kingsley (London, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This is such a great read, I couldn't put it down. It's an extremely funny and true account of a woman starting a new life in France....alone. While seeking to attract a handsome and 'useful' male, the author is equally dodging unsuitables. You cannot help but love her natural enthusiasm and her fun personality. Karen Wheeler's writing brings her experiences vividly to life to make this first book a real page turner. Hilarious and brilliant.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tout Annoying, 21 Aug. 2013

She goes for a walk and after having walked for 'some hours' she happens upon the local gay baker. Not a big deal of course but in the next para we find that on returning to the village she has walked for nearly two hours. So which is it? Some hours or nearly two? Yes, tedious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tres Bon Affaire!, 15 Oct. 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful book from cover to end as Ms Wheeler charts her entry into her new life in rural France. Eschewing a formulaic approach taken by some second-life novels, Ms Wheeler bravely allows us into her inner emotions, both highs and lows. As an added spice to an already tasty recipie, the book has apparently ruffled the feathers of one or more local characters who believe that their clandestine antics have inspired a character or two! Bravo to Ms Wheeler for boldly lifting the lid off this steamy pot a feu!

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely ADORED this book! So charming and funny., 16 July 2009
Christopher Yu (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I just finished reading Tout Sweet in one sitting. The book only arrived yesterday morning in the post and I have now in one and a half days come to the last page. The story was so charming and enchanting. It was the perfect antidote to this terrible summer in London, being able to escape in my head to idyllic France and into the world of the author.

The characters were so funny and I felt myself warming to each and every one - I only hope we read more about them in her next book.

Far less clichéd than Peter Mayle and the like, this is THE `moving to France' story for me. And with the author's sprinkling of glamour - this is my favourite `feel-good' book of 2009!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bon appetit, 7 Sept. 2009
Elaine Adams (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent book - well written, funny, laughed out loud at times - and not many authors have that effect on me.

It appeared a very honest account, heart rending at times but the writer triumphs in the end. Very descriptive, shows her love of the country despite its shortcomings sometimes. Very realistic and well done Karen.

I'm thinking of moving to France and this spurs you on but gives you a realistic touch to what can be a romantic thought at times - living in Bon France.

5.0 out of 5 stars Danny's review, 18 Feb. 2010
I am a person who would never write a review, but having read the book and met Karen I will give it a go.

I suppose the direct comparison for the book is a version of Bridget Jones, without the Darcy.

It's definitely an entertaining read that moves warmly through the tranquil settings of rural France. The book's location does sit on a bit of a backdrop when the real story is of an individual out of her depth recovering from a lost love. The concept of lost love is the core theme and given Karen's character sometimes you want to shout at her and the others you just want to hug her.

Part of the fun is not understanding Karen's actions, governed by her slight naivety, but having said that it does give the book its warmth and holds the reader well.

There was a time when I had to be up at 6a.m. but I found myself in bed with Karen till 3am. So I guess from that perspective I am looking forward to her next book.

Regards

Danny

5.0 out of 5 stars tout sweet, 24 Sept. 2009
Dean Smalley - See all my reviews
wow, fantastic, i sent it to mum in england, and she read it and then brought it to me in france, as i am onlt an hour from poitiers , i recognised a lot of places, very funny book,lots i could relate to as i moved here , single 5 years ago and run a bed and breakfast, all my friends are now reading it, and awaiting the second book, to here about the adventures of the dog, thanks dean france

Tout Sweet: Hanging Up my High Heels for a New Life in France
Tout Sweet: Hanging Up my High Heels for a New Life in France by Karen Wheeler (Paperback - 6 July 2009)