Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 May 2009
I couldn't put this book down, it's been a long time since I finished a book in one sitting. I must admit to being a little biased as eleven years ago my husband and I rehomed one of Dorothy and Barrie's "orphans". Our lovely boy has just celebrated his twelfth birthday and is still going strong.

I started off laughing out loud in the first chapter and alternated all through the book between laughter and tears. Anyone thinking of getting a dog should read this book and seriously consider offering a home to a rescue dog. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 13 June 2009
Not being able to have a dog I often need "dog-fixes", and this book does it for me. So many dogs, so many stories. I too could not put the book down and read it in a day, it is so well written that you just have to go on turning the next page, and the next. I do hope Barrie writes some more books, he clearly has the knack. Thanks so very much for you book and for your work.
on 8 June 2009
A thoroughly good read!

It was interesting to read the trials and tribulations of rescuing and rehoming dogs. Each story brought a tear to my eye, but as well as getting an insight into how badly some people treat animals, it was also uplifting to read how these dogs lives were transformed by the writer and his wife and all eventually rehomed into loving families.
on 26 July 2009
This book is an absolute must for all people who love dogs and for that matter those who don't it's a joyous read from start to finish Barrie leads you the the joys and tears of rescuing our canine companions and all the characters in the book are so real that when you have finished you feel you know every one of his human friends and his canine charges. This book is a moving account of what goes on in a world where dogs are veiwed as property instead of friends and companions. I felt so moved by the book [he made me cry and that dosen't happen very often] that I contacted Barrie to thank him for writing it he was kind of enough to write back the next day [you don't get that from Stephen King do you?] The procedes from the sale of the book are going to help set up even more dog rescue projects, so if you buy a copy you know you are helping with a very worthwhile cause. Buy a copy now I guarantee you won't be dissapointed, in fact buy copies for your family friends and neighbours. If you enjoy a lovely warm well written story full of wit and humour with joyous highs and heart breaking tear jerking lows READ THIS BOOK!!!! I write this review hoping that it will encourage you all to enjoy a great few hours reading and also help Barrie and Dorothy to continue to do their great work at the same time.
on 3 June 2009
Seldom have I read a book which moved me to both laughter and tears. When you read it you will travel with Barrie and Dorothy through the joys and sorrows of homing large dogs. The book is a joy to read. I too could not put it down and cannot recommend it highly enough, and not just for dog lovers. Do yourselves a favour - do not miss this book.
on 5 September 2010
As a german shepherd owner I just had to have this book.Twenty Wagging Tales.I found GSDhomefinders on the internet and it linked me to the book that Barrie had written.Barrie and his wife have devoted the best part of 15years rehoming gsd`s.This book is only a fraction of what they have done.Whilst reading I cried at the cruelty that us humans inflict on these poor dogs.Then at other times I would laugh out loud as Barrie explains to his wife(who is in hospital)that he has their first rescued gsd sitting in the back of their car.At this point they had not decided if they were going to take in dogs.Needless to say Dorothy was excited to have their first rescue.These people are a true inspiration and I hope that Barrie writes again soon.This book makes you want to go to your nearest rehoming centre and bring a dog home!
on 25 September 2010
Inspiring. Close to retirement, me and mine have talked long about getting our GSD puppies when the time comes. For a while we've wondered if giving a home to a second-chance dog would be a better option, and Barrie's book has nailed it for us. He writes naturally and warmly, without using any of the heavy handed 'heart-tugging' ploys that some other authors do . . ..he just tells the story, and the story is wonderful. Every darned chapter left me wanting to know how each dog had moved on, and I found myself trying to read slowly when I knew I was coming to the end of the book. I think we should lobby the publisher to demand another book!
on 26 October 2010
i was given this book to read by a friend ....and said jokingly "if i read this ill end up getting one..".....anyway the rest is history....i am now the proud owner of Milo a beautiful rescue GSD who is 7.The book is a great read,funny happy,sad and unforgetable.I would recommend anyone and everyone to read it,a real must.
on 6 April 2010
I read a newspaper interview with Mr Hawkins and ordered his wonderful book after reading the interview of the heart renderingly good work that Mr & Mrs Hawkins do for dogs and humans! I have two german shepherd dogs myself, they are the most amazing companions & a loving member of the family. It simply breaks my heart that these intelligent,loyal,loving and joyous dogs receive such bad press. Yes they are a large breed-but no such thing as a bad dog its the bad owners who are to blame. What some of those poor animals went through and how Mr & Mrs Hawkins cared for them, nursed them to health and taught them to trust man again is very moving. I rescued one of my girls 6years ago, with love & patience she has become a wonderful dog & loved by everyone she meets! Having read this book now makes me want to lobby MP's to bring in much harsher punishment for these dregs of society that could be so cruel. Obviously I am a huge GSD lover so loved the book, but there really is a tale for everyone in this true story. It is a must for GSD lovers everywhere and I look forward to further books that Mr Hawkins will write about their rescue service and hopefully raise a good sum of money to aid their shelter. The only down side, I would like to have seen a photography of each dog involved in the stories-then it would be perfect. Please buy it and add to a great cause.
on 29 October 2010
I purchased this book through the German Shepherd Rescue Scotland website after a friend recommended it to me. I found it to be a fantastic book to read. It is very well written, comical at times, sad at others. I defy anyone not to have a tear in their eye at some point. Any owners of German Shepherds will relate to the stories in this book.

If you have dog loving friends this book would make an ideal present. It's staying on my bookshelf for a very long time. I can't recommend it highly enough.