5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for anyone who loves dogs
I couldn't put this book down, it's been a long time since I finished a book in one sitting. I must admit to being a little biased as eleven years ago my husband and I rehomed one of Dorothy and Barrie's "orphans". Our lovely boy has just celebrated his twelfth birthday and is still going strong.

I started off laughing out loud in the first chapter and...
Published on 19 May 2009 by M. Pearson

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
The tales fall rather short of being interesting or entertaining, I read a few and didn't bother with the rest. Think this little book may end up in a charity shop or on the shelf of the local post office who recycle books. Such a shame.
Published 9 months ago by S. Wills

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for anyone who loves dogs, 19 May 2009
M. Pearson (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twenty Wagging Tales (Paperback)

I started off laughing out loud in the first chapter and alternated all through the book between laughter and tears. Anyone thinking of getting a dog should read this book and seriously consider offering a home to a rescue dog. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "dog-fix" for a dogless reader., 13 Jun 2009
This review is from: Twenty Wagging Tales (Paperback)
Not being able to have a dog I often need "dog-fixes", and this book does it for me. So many dogs, so many stories. I too could not put the book down and read it in a day, it is so well written that you just have to go on turning the next page, and the next. I do hope Barrie writes some more books, he clearly has the knack. Thanks so very much for you book and for your work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, Moving and Funny, 8 Jun 2009
Jackie Haws - See all my reviews
A thoroughly good read!

It was interesting to read the trials and tribulations of rescuing and rehoming dogs. Each story brought a tear to my eye, but as well as getting an insight into how badly some people treat animals, it was also uplifting to read how these dogs lives were transformed by the writer and his wife and all eventually rehomed into loving families.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For All Doggie Folk, 26 July 2009
L. Robinson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twenty Wagging Tales (Paperback)
This book is an absolute must for all people who love dogs and for that matter those who don't it's a joyous read from start to finish Barrie leads you the the joys and tears of rescuing our canine companions and all the characters in the book are so real that when you have finished you feel you know every one of his human friends and his canine charges. This book is a moving account of what goes on in a world where dogs are veiwed as property instead of friends and companions. I felt so moved by the book [he made me cry and that dosen't happen very often] that I contacted Barrie to thank him for writing it he was kind of enough to write back the next day [you don't get that from Stephen King do you?] The procedes from the sale of the book are going to help set up even more dog rescue projects, so if you buy a copy you know you are helping with a very worthwhile cause. Buy a copy now I guarantee you won't be dissapointed, in fact buy copies for your family friends and neighbours. If you enjoy a lovely warm well written story full of wit and humour with joyous highs and heart breaking tear jerking lows READ THIS BOOK!!!! I write this review hoping that it will encourage you all to enjoy a great few hours reading and also help Barrie and Dorothy to continue to do their great work at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not miss this book, 3 Jun 2009
Mrs. L. Duffy - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twenty Wagging Tales (Paperback)
Seldom have I read a book which moved me to both laughter and tears. When you read it you will travel with Barrie and Dorothy through the joys and sorrows of homing large dogs. The book is a joy to read. I too could not put it down and cannot recommend it highly enough, and not just for dog lovers. Do yourselves a favour - do not miss this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful inspiring book....., 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: Twenty Wagging Tales (Paperback)
i was given this book to read by a friend ....and said jokingly "if i read this ill end up getting one..".....anyway the rest is history....i am now the proud owner of Milo a beautiful rescue GSD who is 7.The book is a great read,funny happy,sad and unforgetable.I would recommend anyone and everyone to read it,a real must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply excellent, 25 Sep 2010
Nibs (Stonehenge country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twenty Wagging Tales (Paperback)
Inspiring. Close to retirement, me and mine have talked long about getting our GSD puppies when the time comes. For a while we've wondered if giving a home to a second-chance dog would be a better option, and Barrie's book has nailed it for us. He writes naturally and warmly, without using any of the heavy handed 'heart-tugging' ploys that some other authors do . . ..he just tells the story, and the story is wonderful. Every darned chapter left me wanting to know how each dog had moved on, and I found myself trying to read slowly when I knew I was coming to the end of the book. I think we should lobby the publisher to demand another book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for all dog lovers, 5 Sep 2010
This review is from: Twenty Wagging Tales (Paperback)
As a german shepherd owner I just had to have this book.Twenty Wagging Tales.I found GSDhomefinders on the internet and it linked me to the book that Barrie had written.Barrie and his wife have devoted the best part of 15years rehoming gsd`s.This book is only a fraction of what they have done.Whilst reading I cried at the cruelty that us humans inflict on these poor dogs.Then at other times I would laugh out loud as Barrie explains to his wife(who is in hospital)that he has their first rescued gsd sitting in the back of their car.At this point they had not decided if they were going to take in dogs.Needless to say Dorothy was excited to have their first rescue.These people are a true inspiration and I hope that Barrie writes again soon.This book makes you want to go to your nearest rehoming centre and bring a dog home!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely, lovely book............, 12 July 2009
This review is from: Twenty Wagging Tales (Paperback)
This is one of those `unexpected' books, in that it was bought out of curiosity, and the deadly impulsiveness of instant internet browsing and `click-click-bye-bye-muny' buying, and turned out to be a great read.

The warmth of Barrie and Dorothy come over in handfuls, and it's a very `easy' and comfortable read. I couldn't help but wonder at the courage of them both, especially Dorothy on one particular occasion, as these are BIG, and naturally intimidating, dogs. Throw in an abusive history, and I think these two deserve a medal each! Lord knows how they afforded the vet and food bills either.

I read this book over a few evenings in the summer, but somehow wished I'd read it in front of the fire in the winter months. Its warmth would've gone well with that cosy scenario.

Some books disappoint greatly, some are more of a surprise and you don't want them to finish. This was one I wanted to delay reading the end of, but like an especially tasty meal, suddenly found I'd swallowed the last mouthful.

Unless you hate dogs, (in which case you'd be unlikely to be reading this), buy this book. You will love it.

Thinking on it, ........even if you don't like dogs, this book may well change your mind. Just don't get a dog on the back of reading it........... dog ownership is not a thing to be taken lightly. :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars un-put-downable !!!, 12 Aug 2011
This review is from: Twenty Wagging Tales (Paperback)
This book was a real page turner, I was recovering from an operation, and this book was finished in two days. I loved it. If you love dogs you'll love this book, It had my eyes pricking with tears one minute and bursting out laughing the next. Very well written, good balance of stories. It tells the story of Barrie and Dorothy starting up a dog recue and some of the things they and their canine friends got up to on their journey. Buy a copy, don't miss out on such a great book.

Twenty Wagging Tales
Twenty Wagging Tales by Barrie Hawkins (Paperback - 5 May 2009)
7.19