5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book with moving epilogue
Published on 4 May 2009 by Dr. J. C. Reed

3.0 out of 5 stars The easy way to "see" Britain
Enjoyable but a trifle sketchy. Some amazing omissions. Felt it was written not to share the joys and the heroic endeavour but to make money.
Published on 16 Jan 2011 by A. Rodriguez-Veglio

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book with moving epilogue, 4 May 2009
Dr. J. C. Reed (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Two Feet, Four Paws: Walking the Coastline of Britain (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book. Spud and her dog Tess walk around the coast of Britain to raise money for Shelter. The book is written in such a clear and descriptive way that you feel that you are undertaking the walk with her. There are great descriptions of the weather, of the nature on the coast, of her relationships with the various drivers that drove the support camper van, of the Uk and of the physical difficulty of the walk. The epilogue written in Jan 2009, 15 years after the walk is especially moving and came as a shock having got to know Spud through the book. I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars truly amazing book about a huge adventure with her dog!, 24 Jun 2012
I have waited a long to read this book. Back in the mid 90's I read a review of the book in your dog magazine about a lady called Spud and her dog called Tess, raising money for Shelter charity. I cut the picture of the book out, was on my notice board in the kitchen for many years. Back then books didn't interest me, one day I shall buy and read this. Years later I had a kindle for xmas, downloaded a few books and remembered four paws and Spud......amazed to find this on kindle, just finished reading. I loved reading Spud adventure from start to finish with her dog Tess, the changing seasons, and weather!
Their adventures in their campervan, characters they met on the way, and friends/family acting as cooks/driver for Tess and Spud after their long walks each day.
The homeless people they met during their walk around England coast line. Beautiful relationship between them, the good days and bad days.
Sad, and shock to get to the end of the book forwarded to fifteen years to find Tess had passed on and Spud, now married and a mum having terminal cancer.
I shall read Spud's follow on book on kindle. X

4.0 out of 5 stars reflective, 22 Jan 2011
There are some key elements to this book:

Firstly, the mental battle of the author in completeing the walk to raise money for Shelter
Secondly, the companionship that having a dog can provide
Finally, the very, very sad epilogue

Anyone who has a dog or enjoys walking should read this book. It will help put your own life into perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 July 2012
This book was one of the best books I have ever read and would seriously reccomend it. It is funny, very interesting and just a brilliant read. BUY IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A girl and a dog walk 4,500 miles for charity, 8 May 2012
This is an amazing book which I found difficult to put down. A woman {spud} a dog {Tess} and a 4,500 walk to raise money for Shelter. This book is must for anyone thinking walking for charity, and those like myself who are physically not capable of attempting such an odyssey, but would like to share such an adventure.
Spud and Tess meet with and endure Gales, Sleet, Snow, sleeping in an often very cold, very damp and cramped small caravanette,by which time both Spud and Tess both suffer body fatigue {aching legs, knee pains and swollen paws} and that would surely have made a lesser person give up and go home to a roaring fire
To cap it all this accommodation is shared with various drivers that give up some of their holidays to meet her each evening on the road; driving a ramshackle vehicle sometimes many miles from one evening rest point to the next.
It is hard not to be inspired courageous young woman, and those that follow her intrepid journey will surely be with her and Tess in spirit. Finally I can only quote "Andrew Ball, be prepared for, the very, very sad epilogue"
Ron Sanders

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 1 July 2014
I read this book in a couple of days as I was intrigued by the way it was written and the shear determination of Spud. her devotion to the cause as well as her devotion to Tess her dog
The overall book is well worth reading if along to make you get up and make difference......

5.0 out of 5 stars Walkies, anyone! 4500 miles of Walkies!, 15 May 2014
My goodness, what a journey! What a girl! What a dog! The thought of doing 10 miles down my local coast makes me shiver in my boots but to tackle the whole British coastline? I couldn't put this down because I was desperate to find out what happened next. It also brought back so many memories of the numerous places I have lived and visited around Britain and taught me of others that I didn't know. If you read this you must get her later book - Small Steps with Paws and Hooves.
An excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars It only took me 3 days to walk the coast, 20 Nov 2013
I read this book and I was in these places with. Spud and Tess only I was in my daughter's home in Windsor having a few days holiday . I thank them both and all who helped these selfless wanderers .it's helped me to reflect on my life .I'm so happy Spud found her very own happiness I actually write this with a tears in my eyes for the final chapter of a wonderful woman's life.the photos also brought It all alive to me.thankyou for sharing your adventures with me.I recommend this book to all who need a new focus in life

4.0 out of 5 stars A great pedestrian defeat, 19 Sep 2013
I would warmly recommend this book to anyone who loves the open air and rural Britain. The author gives a detailed, but easily readable day by day account of her very long plod round our varied coastline, and one cannot help admiring her perseverance and sheer tenacity. Also to be admired is her purpose in tackling this challenge - fundraising for a worthy cause. She is sustained by the companionship of her beloved dog. She shares her perceptions of the various people she encounters, but is slightly judgemental about some of them. Still, one respects her candour.
Sadly, Spud died a few years after her epic trek, having put up a defiant struggle against a terminal illness. She was a very brave woman who loved the natural world and who lived life to the full.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice present for Dad, 4 Aug 2014
L. M. Gosling (UK) - See all my reviews
Present for my dad - just the kind of book he likes to read.

Two Feet, Four Paws: Walking the Coastline of Britain
Two Feet, Four Paws: Walking the Coastline of Britain by Spud Talbot-Ponsonby (Paperback - 6 April 2009)