5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling book that you can't put down.
Published on 15 Sep 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars The Bouncer Game
Somewhat disappointed in this book. Repetitive would sum it up. If you enjoy reading about people punching the lights out of people, or kicking them as they lie on the deck then you'll probably like this biography. I've given my copy to charity.
Published 14 months ago by CroydonBoy

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling book that you can't put down., 15 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Watch My Back (Hardcover)
An incredable book that takes you on a journey of a boy who was once so afraid of his own shadow to a man who frightened him-self after seeing this monster stareing back at him through the mirror honesty. The adrenaling will pump through your body as your'e standing on the doors with the infamous Mr Thompson. Every page will have you flinching at the sounds of broken bones; laughing at the humour the child within us loves to feed on and crying at the pain he endured. I would say most of the people that choose to read this book, have at one time or another, experianced some kind of a Geoff Thompson experiance. It might be from his school days that gets your'e own blood rushing around the memory bank. It could be the heart rendering pain of a love you once held so close to your soul but whatever you feel, rest assured Mr Thompson felt every single one of them too. This outstanding man came through his like a warrior with a heart made of iron but which was engulfed by a soul of a gentlman. I had never heard of this man before I read "WATCH MY BACK" but I feel like he's a brother to me now. I and I'm sure you too, will have total, 100% respect for this man once you have read the book. If dreams can come true then this book is living proof.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 21 Jan 2010
J. E. Howe - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watch My Back (Paperback)
Not being into reading so much myself I was at first reluctant to pick up the rather lengthy book and begin to read it. Saying this after having read the opening chapter I could not put it down! The book revolves around the life of the author - GT and is written biographically. From start to finish Geoff's words are compelling and utterly awe inspiring. He grabs the reader in a head lock taking them on the rough ride of every confrontation and endeavour he has experienced throughout his childhood and career 'working the doors'. The 'Bouncer's' lifestyle, thoughts and experiences are revealed in the gritty, down-to-earth story of one man's mission - to overcome fear, the one thing holding him back in every situation he seems to be faced with.
Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch my back, 18 Oct 2009
This review is from: Watch My Back (Paperback)
I purchased this book after watching the film 'Clubbed' on which it was based. My first impression whilst reading this book was that it was merely a list of brutally violent acts. However, it was well written and described graphically the danger and fear of 'working the door' at some of Coventry's less desirable clubs and pubs. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Geoff Thompsons story and it developed into one of those books which you don't want to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars mightyred1, 8 Oct 2009
This review is from: Watch My Back (Paperback)
A cracking read, recommend for anyone who is lacking in self confidence - some funnies as well.

Geoff Thompson is a guy who inspires me, with his rags to riches story against some adverse odds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grabs you from the first page to the last., 23 Aug 2009
R. bellinger "rb" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watch My Back (Paperback)
An ispirational book. If you are buying this book to read on holiday then buy another. Because this baby wont last more than a couple of days. If you are going with your wife or girlfriend and want them to still like you after, then i woudn't bother buying it. You can't put it down. Not only does it teach you lessons in life and how to control fear and adrenalin, it does so in an honest way that is funny, inspirational and true to life. Quality book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bang!, 11 July 2009
S J Buck (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Watch My Back (Paperback)
This is the story of Geoff Thompsons life as a bouncer in the 1980's: The fights and aggravation, the Police involvement the wiped video tapes and all the other elements that make this quite unputdownable. You will recognise typical characters from your own experience. The guys who won't move from the bar and who ignore you or just say "make me then". The fear that has to be controlled.

Lets also not forget the dedication and skill required to deal with people like this. Thompson is a very talented martial artist, a 6th Dan at Karate and 1st Dan at Judo not to mention studying many other styles.

His writing style is simple and straightforward. We're not talking Dickens here, but you will get a lot of enjoyment from this if you are interested in martial arts and the psychology of fighting in general. However don't buy this thinking its a instructional book - its not.

'Watch My Back' has now been made into the film 'Clubbed', which is worth seeing, although somewhat fictionalised. Geoff Thompson does appear briefly in the film. In my view the book is the better of the two.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will change your life., 18 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Watch My Back (Hardcover)
As a doorman of six years I can thank this book for giving me the courage to start working the doors and for giving me the mental strength to cope with the situations I faced. This book tells it like it is with no punches pulled (pun intended). In todays world of "regesterd door supervisor" most of whome have no clue as to what it takes to work the door Geoff shows how the door should be worked. This book should be required reading for anyone who is thinking of becoming a doorman. Details of pre-emptive strikes may seem controversial and to the uninformed bystanter over the top. They are however the only things that works in the real world. Geoff also gives insight into fear control and what those feelings actually are (adrenaline). This is undoubtibly the best book I have ever read (I have had a copy for eight years and have read it over fifty times) and I would like to thank Geoff for changing my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE NAME IS THOMPSON GEOFF THOMPSON!!, 2 Aug 2009
Jason Thorne (England / Oxford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watch My Back (Paperback)
Having read alot of so called bouncer tough guy books this is one of the best books I have read for a very long time. The book flows and is written so well from a guy you would have wanted on your side back in the 80's. This gentleman goes by the name of Geoff Thompson and he is a man that tells you his story from when he worked on the doors mixing it with the trash in pubs and clubs. It covers his ups and downs over his bouncing career as well as his personal life it truely is a must read which once you start this you will not be able to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading - compelling and genuine., 26 April 2001
RamsyPak (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watch My Back (Hardcover)
This book is truly un-put-down-able. In both senses. It is full of stories which carry significant value to any martial artist. It is an eye-opener. It will hopefully wake up sleeping martial artists (and others) out there. The stories are written with humour and seriousness in equal measure. Thompson does not seem to glory in the violence, he appears to be a humble and honest critic of himself. The book is a great companion to some of his other texts, the 'real' series for example. It adds context to theory and flesh and blood (plenty of that) to his articulate prescriptions for self-protection.
His writing style is friendly and subtley skillful - he knows how to tell a good story, an art in itself. He paints vivid portraits of the others round him and manages to keep you enthralled. Not an easy thing to do. Ask any writer.
Imagining myself in any of those situations, I become aware of how underprepared and undercommitted I have been, in terms of my attitude and, despite significant progress, how far there is yet to go.
Geoff Thompson deserves enormous credit for establishing himself as one of the foremost martial arts writers and instructors of his day and for challenging prevailing attitudes and complacency - If Jeet Kune Do was radical in the traditional 60s and 70s, then Geoff Thompson's approach is a modern day Jeet Kune Do...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Watch My Back (Paperback)
This copy was for a friend, I have owned a couple of copies of this book and it is an incredible read! Highly recommended.

Watch My Back
Watch My Back by Geoff Thompson (Paperback - 5 Jan 2009)
7.93