5.0 out of 5 stars Another belter
Published on 21 Oct 2008 by RuralBliss

3.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable and easy to read book.
It took a little while to get into this book as felt it seemed like a regular column in a newspaper rather than a novel. However after first couple of chapters this was no longer the case and I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would buy the others in the series.
Published on 19 Aug 2010 by Migber

5.0 out of 5 stars Another belter, 21 Oct 2008
This review is from: Cat on a Hot Tiled Roof: Mayhem in Mayfair and Mallorca (Paperback)
I read Anna Nicholas's last book and made a total fool of myself by laughing out loud in public, so i had high hopes for this one too. I'm delighted to say I wasn't disappointed. I've stayed in the little corner of paradise where the book is set, and it was totally bizarre because everywhere you go there are copies of the book for sale - i think she's become a local celebrity. If you are looking for a good laugh with some truly poignant moments thrown in - then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, life enhancing and moving...The journey continues, 30 July 2008
Mr. C. P. Richards "Christopher" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I was so delighted, one evening whilst browsing on Amazon, to happen acrosss this new instalment of Anna's life both in the Soller valley and way beyond it, including, this time, Manhattan. First and foremost it's a wonderful, and very pacy read - full of quirky, sometimes crazy, stories, but also with more tender moments. I was struck in particular by her perilous encounter with the "problem feline" Zack the Cat during her cattery training session deep in rural England; and by her vivid, breathtaking reportage of the New York Marathon, which she tackled and completed, in blazing heat, despite coping with a significant leg injury - and she even manages to find an attic humour in that story too!
Yet, these are not just delightful individual stories: they are subtly sewn together to paint a thoroughly convincing picture of a woman clearly at a crossroads in her life, increasingly being seduced by the simplicity, the pared down beauty, and the sheer charm and eccentricity of the Mallorcean way of life.
But, and it's an important but, the author never tries to paint her rural Mallorca as a utopia...She in-fact gives an even fuller, more direct account, of the ups and downs of Soller Valley, than in her previous book, "A Lizard in my luggage". It is made very clear that this is one place where death and life intermingle, and on a small island the losses and the tragedie are in-fact felt or the more keenly.

All in all, I so enjoyed this book: for its sheer energy, its great sense of fun, its powerful contrasts, and its gentle determination not to shirk in any way life's sadnesses and losses as well as life's joys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baa's, Meow's, and Magic in Mallorca, 21 Aug 2009
studiocyn "Cyn" (Jersey Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
When I first picked up, Cat on a Hot Tiled Roof, I was amused by the title more than anything else, and turned it over and read the premiss, and promptly bought it. I like travel writing a lot, but most of this genre these days, is almost always about, chucking it all in and buying a ruin and all the ups and downs of doing it up, and crazy/funny situations and enormous frustrations. But, it's all worth it in the end.

This book is certainly not that! While it does share some aspects, it is something original and magical.

This book is so refreshing in that, while, it does chart the experiences, of living and fitting into a small, Spanish, community,( and very funnily so) it also balances it with, the real world, working, maintaining connections with one's previous life, all sorts of major life decisions, as well as, talking frogs, mysterious disappearing sheep, handsome postmen, crazy Americans, and Londoners, along side some genuine and hilarious characters, whom I won't say anything about, just to get you go buy your own copy! The people she meets and becomes friends with seem real, not exaggerated, and the people she works in London with,(and for) well, as I said-read the book.

Her writing is first rate, witty, and engaging.She makes you really like her, and her sense of humour, is laugh out, while, very tongue in cheek at other times, a nice balance. There are poignant stories too, and it tugs at your heart.

Anna's descriptions of Soller, and of the island of mallorca, are beautiful written, so, much, so you can almost smell the oleander and jasmin ,and feel the grandure of the shadowy Tramuntana Mountains. She also, tells you about the traditional food and festivals in such a way, you want to join in and try just about everything. The Pa amb oli, and the tomatiga de ramellet, had me drooling.

The minute I finished, Cat on a Hot Tiled Roof, I went out to buy her first book, A Lizard in my Luggage, to see how it all began.Unfortunately my one and only bookstore, didn't have in...but they did have her third book, Goats from a Small island. So, I bought it. And it was even better!
I am now in possession of the first book (thank you Amazon), and I can honestly say, even if you read them out of order, they are fantastic.
So, good in fact, my husband and I are going to Mallorca. I have been reading parts of her books out loud, so much to him, laughing, giggling, sighing, dropping hints, talking about the food,the countryside, the sea, he succumbed, and is now as enthusiastic about her books and the Island of Mallorca, as I have become.

Simply,read them , you'll love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat on a Hot Tiled Roof, 23 Nov 2008
I have recently restored an old finca in Spain where I now live. I am always on the lookout for books on this subject and one day A Lizard in My Luggage popped up on Amazon, as they do. I thoroughly enjoyed it and wanting more, immediately ordered Cat on a Hot Tiled Roof, which I have just finished. This is the second installment of the crazy story of Anna's move to Mallorca and all the wonderful people she has met there and I loved it.

Anna writes in such a wonderful warm and familiar style that I feel that I know these characters almost as friends of my own. Of course many of the cultural differences referred to in the book are by now well documented but Anna's fresh take on them truly makes for some laugh out loud moments.

So come on Anna, is there a third installment? Personally, I can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perlas Majorica, 18 Aug 2008
P. Kerr - See all my reviews
I know Mallorca fairly well, so I can relate easily to Anna Nicholas's graphic descriptions of the island's landscape, people and customs. And beautifully written these descriptions are, too.

But there's much more to this book than just an expat's view of her adopted home. Too often the Brit incomer adopts a patronising attitude towards the local people; a condescending deameanour that the locals pretend not to notice, but which offends them, nonetheless. And quite rightly so. The British Empire never included Spain.

In this age, when so many people are 'relocating to the sun', it's all too easy to opt for settling in a home-from-home 'ghetto' populated exclusively by people of your own nationality, all speaking English, eating Hovis and drinking Carling Black Label. Fair enough, but why not just stay at home and buy a sun bed?

Read this book and learn how vital it is to make the effort to integrate, if you want to get the most out of being a guest in another people's country. Anna Nicholas and her family have done just that, and her accounts of their adventures and misadventures add up to an informative, entertaining and witty book that should be essential reading for anyone contemplating a similar move - or just happy to sit at home and dream about it.

Another Mallorcan gem of a book by the talented Ms Nicholas. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning sequel..., 13 Aug 2008
Ms. Amy Dear - See all my reviews
With another incredibly alluring cover, this is an extremely stylish book full of witty dialogue and highly amusing tales. Often surreal and always immensely enjoyable, I would mark this down as pure literary escapism, perfect for just getting away from it all. The writing style is irreverent and great fun, you wont be disappointed if you are looking for high standards of comic writing. Buy this if you want something so very vivid and entertaining that it will transport you into another world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The point of view of a local, 21 Aug 2008
Ignacio Recalde Canals (Mallorca, Spain) - See all my reviews
I bought this book at Calabruix, my hometown bookshop in Sóller, now Anna Nicholas hometown. Years ago I had read "My Family and Other Animals" by Gerald Durrell, and had the hunch that this book was going to turn out something similar but happening in the mountains of Mallorca nowadays instead of Corfu in the 1930's. Well, the book is obviously different but equally delightful. Anna Nicholas is in Sóller to stay, not as a "blown in", and has become part of the valley, not just by loving its nature but mostly by understanding its people and their way of living. By sharing their way of living. Of course, she finds shocking things, just the same we find them when we go abroad, but she is really open minded (maybe her crazy job as PR has helped her with that) and takes full advantage of our innate curiosity and hospitallity towards foreigners, which by the way was severely put to test years ago with an invasion of a certain kind of Germans which seemed to be willing to impose the power of money on everything.

But this is what I feel after reading the book. The first chapter was not too promising for me. Sheep causing hassle is too a frequent situation here to be worth writing about it!! But it got better and better till I found myself laughing loudly at the author's surprise to what is here quite a normal thing: you invite four people for lunch and suddenly they come with 4 people more. But she has just enough food for four and has to borrow from a neighbour who by the way ends having lunch there as well. It was so fun finding out that British people make no provision for such a normal thing!

How the author manages to meet such strange people in her PR job is quite happy for the book, because in this way the blend between UK and Mallorca chapters works like the structure of a best seller and so the book reads really easily, even for me and my troubles understanding the colourful English the author is using.

The only thing a little bit missing is the sea. The author seems to live "with her back to the sea" as we say here, although it is still a quite normal attitude among the locals. This said, the only chapter dealing with the sea is also very funny, although it happens in Palma, not in Sóller.

All in all, a delightful book, now I'll have to read "A lizzard in my luggage". Thank you Anna for this fresh insight into Sóller.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable and easy to read book., 19 Aug 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy going Read, with a great insite to the real Mallorca, 25 Aug 2009
wales "inthe sun" (Palma Nova Mallorca) - See all my reviews
I am a long term resident living and WORKING on Mallorca, as it is not all sun sea and sangria for everyone. A lot of us work hard, yet also live a lovely life on this magical isalnd. Anna Nicholas has written a fun read, which reflect the village life of a busy working mum in a really entertaining way. A super and easy read which I highly recommend.
I shall seek out more of her books...

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have., 27 April 2009
A delightful book to read and essential for anyone considering a stay in Mallorca, because this gives a real flavour of the Mallorcan countryside & lifestyle, particularly in the Soller area. An essential partner is "Lizard in my luggage" by the same author.

Cat on a Hot Tiled Roof: Mayhem in Mayfair and Mallorca
Cat on a Hot Tiled Roof: Mayhem in Mayfair and Mallorca by Anna Nicholas (Paperback - 4 Aug 2008)
8.07