Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 February 2009
I am dedicated to these books. My three children learned to read from them forty five years ago and my new acquisition has gone out to Rome to my 3 yr old Italian grand daughter who is at an English school there. Lovely books, beautifully presented and worth every penny.
on 9 July 2010
I bought these for no other reason than I hadn't seen them since I learned to read with them at school. But they are a delight and exact replicas, except that I think the ones at school had soft covers (and had that peculiar 'school' smell about them...)

I think children would still enjoy learning to read from them: they have the unique ability of being interesting and fun to look at, yet the words are repetitive so make learning them easy.
on 27 November 2012
The Janet and John books - thank goodness - seem to be coming back into favour once again. Yes, they are old in style, yes, the original illustrations are a touch 'old-fashioned' to some people but to those of my age, 75 plus, they not only bring back some happy memories of a simpler life but intrigue their younger readers who ask about the illustrations and enjoy the response. However, its how the books engage the young reader and stimulate them that matters and my 3-year old grandson finds them entertaining and easy to use. I am delighted that the phrase "what goes around, comes around" seems to be true in learning to read. I am pleased these tried and trusted volumes are still available.
on 5 December 2010
I was looking for a book I could buy my five-year-old niece (who is quite a reluctant reader) for Christmas when I stumbled across this one and almost stopped breathing with excitement. Janet & John set the foundations for my lifelong love of books and I can actually remember learning to read with these two little tyrants.

When I received the book and opened it, I was immediately transported back a good 28 years or so, to Mrs Embery's class, when she used to let me take home a Janet & John book twice a week in my clear, plastic wallet because I was progressing so well.

The picture, words - even the font, is exactly how I remember it. The hardback cover is a bonus too because it is slightly more presentable as a Christmas present and will be protected from the general wear and tear of being a five year old child's book.

Brilliant!
on 12 July 2011
It is actually refreshing reading this book once again. I learned how to read with this book back in primary school in Nigeria...I doubt books of the Janet and John Quality are made these days. It's a shame that the books is classed as humour!!!
If you're a baby boomer you'll remember learning from these excellent books and they're still relevant now providing young children with an easy way to recognise simple words and sentences. The whole series is worth getting.
on 17 September 2014
Yes, it's old fashioned but the simple repetition is rewarding for a beginner reader. Too many books aimed at new readers actually have far too many difficult words in them. There's a list of words at the back so it's easy to check whether they've actually been learnt or whether your bright child is just remembering them by looking at the picture! It's nostalgic too for us grandparents who learnt to read with Janet & John. I bought both 'Off to Play' and 'Here we Go'
on 27 December 2012
These books were popular 30-40 years ago when my children started reading. Now my grandaughter is started to read them. Will be a collectors piece but at least they contain stories of real people not aliens and monsters ect. Good book ,good service good price.
on 29 January 2014
Got this for my granddaughter.I told her this was one of the books that taught me to read. She read it over and over and gained so much confidence that her reading at school has come on in leaps and bounds.
on 13 July 2013
I remember learning to read with this book this at school as does my Son, this book is for my 5 year old Grand daughter, who is learning to read