5.0 out of 5 stars A Dodo is not just for Christmas, 15 Nov. 2007
S. H. Poles - See all my reviews
This review is from: As a Dodo: The Obituaries You'd Really Like to See (Hardcover)
This is a clever conceit a concept that will run and run. The title invites the browser to pause and pick up. Initially she/he may be disappointed because the obituaries relate to people, organisations, concepts, myths and pretensions that in most cases are still, sadly with us. The writing is excellent and although on occasion innocent parties, places and people are caught by the follow through of the broadsword for the most part the accuracy of the rapier thrusts and cutlass slashes deftly dispose of the unfit for existence. It gives those of us who have neither the time nor skill the satisfaction of knowing that someone is doing a good job for us and makes us laugh at the same time. Occasionally the lame duck being harried excites a lip curl of distaste rather than the effect looked for by the writers but there are not many instances of this. This title could well be the `Giles Annual' of the future but should not be confined to Christmas purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars laugh out loud, 17 Sept. 2007
Reeta (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I know it's a cliche but this book has literally made me laugh out loud. It's an irreverant, inventive and refreshing review of our times: politics; celebrity; trends; the lot. The entry about Britney Spears' Hair is a classic but my favourite is the faux-obituary of Jeremy Clarkson. It's quite a good stocking filler Christmas present I would have thought. I will be buying it for those 'difficult to buy for' men in my family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twinkle, twinkle little satire, 24 Sept. 2007
This book came as a bit of a surprise. I'd started to believe that no-one was producing proper satire these days but this is the real deal: not only did it make me laugh it also made me think. Sure there are a few easy targets (Tim Henman, Britney Spears) but they still manage to be funny, and this book isn't afraid to have a go at tougher stuff (religious schools, the death of freedom, Lord Reith's legacy)too

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Funny, 14 Nov. 2007
Axe Grinder (London, England) - See all my reviews
A satirical look at the world around us that made me howl with laughter with obituaries for the things that I hadn't realised had died or had long wished would soon shuffle off this mortal coil. The obits cover everything from domestic and international politics, to science and entertainment. I was particularly taken with the death of (fictional) George Bush, and the death of gravity after the opening of the Grand Canyon Skywalk surprised me but amused me too (Buzz Aldrin: "In your face, Neil Armstrong!") to name but just a few. A very enlightening and entertaining read and also a perfect Christmas present too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satire isn't dead, 14 Nov. 2007
A real gem of a book that's breathed new life into the art of satire by larking about with obituaries. One of the few books I've read recently that has made me laugh tea out of my nose - the Da Vinci Code court case obituary is a particular favourite, although the Death of the Fictional Dubya Bush is also up there. A perfect Christmas gift for friends and family.

As a Dodo: The Obituaries You'd Really Like to See
As a Dodo: The Obituaries You'd Really Like to See by Simon Littlefield (Hardcover - 3 Sept. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01