on 25 February 2009
I don't have this book in front of me, having lent it to someone. Perhaps reviewing it in its absence will somehow hasten its return. (Otherwise I will have to buy it again). There appear to be many fine books on the Alexander Technique out at present. However, I have recently had a couple of Alexander lessons, and this is the book my teacher suggested that I might like to read at home. I can see why; it is easy to grasp the important concepts from this book, and to understand how to improve one's body "use", leading to less stress on the joints and muscles, better breathing habits, less tension and more calm and purposeful movement. I like books with plenty of photographs, and lots of colour; this book has neither, but the many line-drawings convey exactly what the author wants you to know, with humour, and great clarity. Very well written - you never get bogged down, and can make progress in a very satisfying way. (Also, the typeface and setting is so clear that I can manage without my glasses!) An unpretentious book, good value, will quite simply take you a long way on the road to improvement by the direct route.
on 20 July 2010
I think this is a brilliant introduction to the Alexander Technique because you can get started right away observing yourself in action and experiencing the beneficial effects of making simple changes to habits you have unwittingly fallen into. The language and the exercises are simple and direct and the underlying principles and concepts emerge as easy to understand and apply in everyday life, to all the routine and repetitive things we do. I have had some Alexander lessons and am a convert to the fantastic benefits, especially the reduction in tension and pain and increased calmness but when I try to explain how this comes about I find people looking puzzled and a little sceptical so I recommend this book which does the job so much better! Highly recommended if you are curious or just want to sample the practice and ideas before having lessons or reading some of the other excellent but longer and more involved books.
on 31 January 2012
The book arrived very quickly and I am finding it very useful. It is easy to understand and I am using the exercises every day.
on 16 July 2012
I bought this book to assist with shoulder pain that I felt was largely due to poor posture. The main message of the book is to break habits and be concious of movements and posture. The style of the book is simple, with cartoon-like drawings to show the exercises. It was the exercises that had attracted me to the book, as I wanted a practical guide. I have found it useful, as reading it has made me think about my posture more. Some of the recommendations, such as lying on the floor during working time, I didn't find practical, but most were sensible and simple. Nothing ground-breaking, but some common sense exercises to make you think more carefully.
on 16 July 2012
This is a very good self teach book that explains the principles of the Alexander Technique in easy easy to understand terms,without professing to teach the technique fully. The techniques and exercises so well described in the book can be applied to ones daily life to improve posture and relieve strain and pain in muscles and joints.
on 7 December 2012
I recently bought this book and found it an excellent introduction to the Alexander Technique. It gives a broad overview of the posture problems that many of us have, with easy to understand illustrations and exercises to correct the bad habits we accumulate over time. I would highly recommend it, although you would need to see an Alexander teacher for more in-depth help.
on 18 July 2013
This book is very easy to understand, the authors have a very good since of humour, lots of funny drawing, the book is like those dummy books set out very well, so anyone who wants to know what Alexander Technique is all about and want to do some of the exercises get this book.
on 6 March 2014
This was for my daughter who has suffered with back pain which was probably through posture reasons more than anything, but after having a go at this it has been getting better. Only time will tell how it works out long term.
on 23 December 2015
The book is self explanatory for the layman and this is a way of life
Amazing how other problems can occur if our posture is one degree out of cinque Book well packaged &
On time
on 27 January 2013
Very simply written. Direct and to the point. The directions are easily followed. Certainly I have experienced an easing of not only pain but also movement in my legs and hips.