4.0 out of 5 stars We could have done with this book years ago!
This book even makes good bedtime reading. We have found it most useful and now even know the French names of building and decorating items we don't even need. I particularly liked the breakdown of terms into easily definable areas of renovation. Keep a copy in the car for handy reference, you never know when one needs a pied-de-biche.
Published on 16 Nov. 2006 by Dusty Fog

3.0 out of 5 stars helpful for DIY
Published on 9 May 2008 by seemore

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars helpful for DIY, 9 May 2008
This review is from: A Dictionary of French Building Terms: Essential for Renovators, Builders and Home-owners (Paperback)
Very useful for basic building materials and tools but really only for DIY use. If you're doing a complete refurb with French builders or setting up your trade in France then spend a bit more money on the "Concise Dictionary of House Building Terms", don't be frightened by the price, it's well worth it. I own both copies and this one stays on the bookshelf most of the time, and the other is on site or in the van.

1.0 out of 5 stars Helpful.. if you have time on your hands., 9 Nov. 2006
K. Saunders "French lover" (France) - See all my reviews
We purchased this before we moved to France to help us obtain quotations etc., on a property we own. The book is in ten sections of different trades - not in alphabetical order - so if you want a word, you have to hunt through all the ten sections to find the right one, if it is there at all. This may be OK going from English to French, but if you have a French word and you don't know which trade it comes under (because you don't know the word, right?) you are left hunting between the ten sections and your regular dictionary as well. If at the back there was a complete list of French to English, then English to French as well as the ten sections, It would be getting 5 stars, however it doesn't so it fails as a dictionary, as it's not in alphabetical order. Shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars We could have done with this book years ago!, 16 Nov. 2006
Dusty Fog (Berkshire UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars The Mason's View, 31 Oct. 2009
D. N. Bebb "nebb" (Montgomeryshire) - See all my reviews
This book is not perfect but for the reasonable book you get, it is exceedingly cheap. I have written my list of requirements hundreds of times using this book and presented it at the builders merchant without a problem. On occasions clarification has been required and where this has happened, I have written the solution in the book (I hate writing in books but have made an exception in this case). When I see things in catalogues and manuals that are not covered in the book, again I write them in. What started out as a reasonable purchase is gradualy becoming invaluable with the notes I am adding based on personal experience. At its price, I can't see where you can go wrong.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful book, 8 Jan. 2010
H. D. Doel (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
We purchased this book to help us with our French renovation project. Unfortunately the book is not laid out in true dictionary form but split into sections according to topic. Unfortunately we found that if we were searching for a French translation we first had to spend time looking through the book trying to guess in which section the word might appear. It's much quicker to purchase and use a comprehensive French/English dictionary, which, confusingly, gives different translations from the ones in this book (if you find them)!

2.0 out of 5 stars Pity it is not in one single section, 15 Mar. 2011
VJC (Esher, UK) - See all my reviews
It looks good on first reading and I thought it would be useful ....BUT once you start getting serious you find it is broken up into different sections which means that you simply cannot find a new strange word unless you can guess rooughly what section it will be in! Also, although it has a good number of words you quickly find things missing (or perhaps I haven't looked in the right section!).
So good for bedtime reading, but no good for serious discussions with the architect ......

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, clear and concise, 6 Aug. 2009
D. S. Hutchinson "SINGERSDOT" (France, Spain and UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book as I had found that the regular dictionaries just did not cope with the requirements of a renovation project when dealing with the equivalent to Builders Merchants rather than the DIY stores.

I am finding the book very useful and easy to reference quickly I particularly like the way the book is broken into sections for Builders, Electricians and Plumbers and like a regular dictionary words can be searched in English or French.

I strongly recommend it for anyone either self building, renovating or just wanting to communicate with tradespeople!

4.0 out of 5 stars My husband rates it!, 12 Jan. 2010
E. Bastian (France) - See all my reviews
My husband, who like many struggles to learn French, finds this book very useful. I also find it very helpful when preparing his quotations for work, even though I am now fluent in French. The French really do appreciate it when the British try to make themselves understood and this book helps my husband to buy his supplies more easily. Recommend it to those who are undertaking works on their home, as an inexpensive handbook of terms, which can be used alongside a normal dictionary.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy a good dictionary instead, 15 Aug. 2009
All of the terms in this book can be found in a good dictionary like Harper Collins Robert. You won't find the local terms for materials or trades. I find this book useless.

4.0 out of 5 stars sub-sections makes looking up a word more difficult - not less, 19 Jan. 2014
while a dictionary like this is essential if you are contemplating carrying out renovations (or even owning) a property in France, I have found that the sub-sections make looking up a word quickly extremely maddening. Case in point -- "do you have a ladder?" (echelle) - this is, of course, a key piece of kit that touches all aspects of building works (as many do ...) finding the word organised within the book under one of the sub-sections makes it a much more time-consuming endeavour. It would be far more helpful to have all terms lumped into a single alpha-betical listing (both in the English to French or French to English) [(frankly I know that wires (fils) pertains largely to electrical works ... but so what?!) I may well need to know the term for 'wires' whilst engaging in the many many other tasks and trades involved in owning a property - decorations, garden terracing, plumbing a boiler, ...]

Otherwise - an essential piece of kit

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›