5.0 out of 5 stars who are you really ?
Published on 25 Nov. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I had high hopes for this book, partly after reading the positive reviews on this site. However, on reading it felt that many of the ideas were half baked and ill thought out. Admittedly, there were one or two moments that made some sense, but overall this isn't a book I would recommend to someone looking for logical steps to improve their lot in life.
Published on 6 Oct. 2005 by JOHNNY MAC

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars who are you really ?, 25 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
A man once said to me, if you continue to do what you do, you'll get what you've got. This made a lot of sense to me, as obviously everything you currently have, material or otherwise, you've obtained by doing the things you have previously done. Taking this one step further, if you are not happy with your lot, which most people are not, then it makes sense that you have to do things differently, in order to change what you have.
This is where this book comes in. How do you do things differently ? What do you do differently ? Where do you find the extra time from ? Do you know what you want to achieve and what do you do if you don't yet know ?
Most people don't get this far in the questioning process. If they do, this is where they get stuck. This is the point where people give in to their inner voice which is telling them that they should be happy with what they have achieved and to be grateful for what they have.
The elephant and the twig is that missing piece of the jigsaw, the road map that shows you the way up lifes hill, where to find the fuel stops on the way, and ultimately break that twig that's holding you back.
Remember, the grass sometimes is greener and you've got just as much right to be enjoying it as anyone else.
Simon Glynn

5.0 out of 5 stars Make it happen !, 3 Nov. 2010
Sunil (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Great read. Positive, punchy, funny and believable. Geoff basically tells us the story of his life - how he started off near the bottom with plenty of negative people around him. Like all of us, he had the choice of either staying where he was or pulling his finger out and making life better. You can figure out which choice he made by the fact that he wrote this book (and the title). He keeps it very real with lots of examples from his own life. His basic message is - if you want a better life (if you really want a better life) then go get it. Stop moaning and feeling sorry for yourself, stop pointing the finger at society and your poor circumstances and just make it happen. He basically tells his life story and splits the book into 14 rules. He has some great one-liners in there too - very funny and right up my street (I'm from Manchester).

There are more inspiring books out there (in my opinion) such as 'You Can if You Think You Can', 'The Power of Positive Thinking' and 'Stop Worrying and Start Living'. But I'm gonna give Geoff 5 stars anyway because the message was simple and effective, I like his humour and he is from the UK so I can relate to a lot of the references (all the other positive thinking writers seem to be American).

5.0 out of 5 stars A practical guide to a better you!, 24 July 2000
By A Customer
Having suffered from low self-esteem /depression for all of my adult life to date, I can wholeheartedly recommend this book. Follow it's 14 steps and you can't fail to find some solutions. It's easy to follow, fun to read and he really knows what he's talking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, from the heart, 1 April 2015
There are many self help books to choose from, and all of them have at least one good tip. But I believe there's something that makes certain people, and the advice they give, extra special. It's this: what comes from the heart, goes to the heart. I feel Geoff's advice deeply, and am certain that's directly related to where it came from.

He clearly has had a tough life, and yet converted it to great wisdom for others (including his 'new' self).

I thoroughly recommend this book, especially if you're in the mood for a straight talking boost.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Positive Thinking!, 7 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Elephant and the Twig: The Art of Positive Thinking (Paperback)
The Art of Positive Thinking - perfectly describes this book. I think the way this book is written is brilliant! If you want something a little different from you usual self help type books i think this book is a invaluable. I have only read the first 50 pages but struggled to put it down once i started. I consider myself a upbeat & positive individual on whole but reading this book has made me think about things from a different perspective . I only have positive feedback for this book! :o)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good inspiration, 2 May 2011
R. S. Abatis - See all my reviews
Geoff's writing in this book is inspiring without becoming too patronising and 'self-help book'. For me the chapters seemed to go off topic a lot, there's a fair amount of (undeliberate) repetition. I don't think this book was actually edited, and so there are quite a few irritating typos and misspelt words. Still, the message applies to most walks of life, particularly those who wish to be masters of their own destiny/career.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 15 Oct. 2014
I really enjoyed this book a lot. Geoff doesn't speak to you like he is above you, he describes what it was like for him when hes life wasn't going how he wanted it and what it was like as he went about changing his life. I havent read his other books but I have read this one a few times and really enjoy the story

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 28 Mar. 2011
Wasnt brought for myself, but the person whom i brought it for said its a great book with some really good tips. This book wouldnt be for everyone but if you'v read the "geoff thompson" books you will understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 13 Jan. 2013
This book changed my life around. So easy to undetstand and really felt like the book was written fir me. Totally reccommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars makes sense, 10 Mar. 2015
Enjoyed reading this book, lots to think about.
I would recommend giving it a go. As he says in the book, read a book

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Elephant and the Twig: The Art of Positive Thinking
The Elephant and the Twig: The Art of Positive Thinking by Geoff Thompson (Paperback - 8 Jan. 2007)