on 16 August 2007
I read this in 3 days (fast for me) the one thing that struck me the most and impressed upon me was Geoffs honesty and integrity throughout. He never plays the "hard man", and is brutally honest about his work on the door, the cold reality of it. To me, and withought souding dramatic, it was almost like a spiritual journey for Geoff, he used the door work as a vehicle to face his own inner demons and fears. Geoff talks a lot about his own fears in this book, which is inspiring, as often we think that we are the only ones who have fears, particularly in regards to violence. Geoffs work proves that this is just not the case, everyone feels it even hardend door men. It has changed my perspective on physical violence and made me realise that im not the only one that has fears around it. Respect to you Mr Thompson for writing it, inspiring, honesty, witty and at times moving.
on 18 October 2009
I purchased this book after watching the film 'Clubbed' on which it was based. My first impression whilst reading this book was that it was merely a list of brutally violent acts. However, it was well written and described graphically the danger and fear of 'working the door' at some of Coventry's less desirable clubs and pubs. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Geoff Thompsons story and it developed into one of those books which you don't want to put down.
on 23 August 2009
An ispirational book. If you are buying this book to read on holiday then buy another. Because this baby wont last more than a couple of days. If you are going with your wife or girlfriend and want them to still like you after, then i woudn't bother buying it. You can't put it down. Not only does it teach you lessons in life and how to control fear and adrenalin, it does so in an honest way that is funny, inspirational and true to life. Quality book.
on 15 September 2000
An incredable book that takes you on a journey of a boy who was once so afraid of his own shadow to a man who frightened him-self after seeing this monster stareing back at him through the mirror honesty. The adrenaling will pump through your body as your'e standing on the doors with the infamous Mr Thompson. Every page will have you flinching at the sounds of broken bones; laughing at the humour the child within us loves to feed on and crying at the pain he endured. I would say most of the people that choose to read this book, have at one time or another, experianced some kind of a Geoff Thompson experiance. It might be from his school days that gets your'e own blood rushing around the memory bank. It could be the heart rendering pain of a love you once held so close to your soul but whatever you feel, rest assured Mr Thompson felt every single one of them too. This outstanding man came through his like a warrior with a heart made of iron but which was engulfed by a soul of a gentlman. I had never heard of this man before I read "WATCH MY BACK" but I feel like he's a brother to me now. I and I'm sure you too, will have total, 100% respect for this man once you have read the book. If dreams can come true then this book is living proof.
on 2 August 2009
Having read alot of so called bouncer tough guy books this is one of the best books I have read for a very long time. The book flows and is written so well from a guy you would have wanted on your side back in the 80's. This gentleman goes by the name of Geoff Thompson and he is a man that tells you his story from when he worked on the doors mixing it with the trash in pubs and clubs. It covers his ups and downs over his bouncing career as well as his personal life it truely is a must read which once you start this you will not be able to put it down.
on 5 April 2008
A GREAT BOOK. GEOFF EXPLAINS ALL OF THE EMOTIONAL SIDES TO VIOLENCE AS WELL AS THE PHYSICAL. HE IS A MASTER OF GOING TOE TO ON THE COBBLES - A MASTER OF FIGHTING IN THE DOJO, AND A MAN WHO IS SO IN TUNE WITH THE WORLD AROUND HIM AND HIS SPRITUALITY. OF COURSE, THERE'S ENOUGH VIOLENCE IN THERE TO WET THE APPETITE OF THE SEASONED FIGHTER, AND FOLLWER OF UNDERWORLD STYLE BOOKS. BUT THERE IS MORE TO THIS ONE, A GREAT DEAL MORE. GEOFF IS AN INTELIGENT AND CLEVER MAN. BUT YES, HE'S ALSO A BLOODY HARD BASTARD. THIS BOOK NEEDS TO BE READ.
on 24 September 2003
I have sparred and trained in a few amateur gyms over the years. So what you may think.
This is how i heard about Geoff Thompson. People mentioning him and an article in a boxing mag. So when i saw the book online i had to invest. A brilliant and frightening account of life on the door. Reading through the book i could honestly feel the fear and the adrenaline these people must feel. Although in truth it is the closest i would like to get to this type of fighting.
Very interesting and Geoff comes across as a decent bloke.
on 22 July 2004
watch my back is a book i never would have thought of reading,by chance i found it in my brothers room and couldnt put it down! Its not just a book about fights, its truly inspirational.If you have ever lacked confidence or suffered fear this book is of great help. It has laughter,tears and gives a great insight to the life of a bouncer - some real funny stories as well as nail bitters that will get your adreniline going!
on 8 October 2009
A cracking read, recommend for anyone who is lacking in self confidence - some funnies as well.

Geoff Thompson is a guy who inspires me, with his rags to riches story against some adverse odds.
on 13 April 2012
This book is the true story of the trials and tribulations of Geoff, a night club bouncer. At first he was afraid of his own shadow, but then grew to love the violence, along with the camaraderie, that he immersed himself in.

The story is told with feeling and humour (imagine a Jasper Carrot and Billy Connolly collaboration) about violence, revenge and sheer lunacy that will have you rolling with laughter, cringing at the pain and crying at the sadness. Over time Geoff realises it is time to change before he becomes a casualty of his own making.

Spending time writing and training harder as a martial artist he eventually works his way out of the emotional and physical turmoil going on to be a successful martial artist and author, eventually receiving a BAFTA award.

The book is lot deeper than it first appears with tales and thoughts that are written from the soul. I originally bought the 3 books that formed this omnibus addition. Then at one of Geoff Thompson's seminars I asked him if his new book was worth buying given that I had all three of his earlier books. To which his reply was, with a wry smile, "of course". Book signed and bought, it sat on my shelf for many years until one day I needed some inspiration and humorous reading in one.

It was worth buying, because what GT had done was fill in the gaps between the original books and added, quite significantly, a top and tail to the book. This top and tail now gave me a greater understanding of GT's journey and why he started it. The end of the book shows great humanity and strength. I won't give you the details as if you have not read this version it will spoil your reading. And yes once again I was inspired by his writing.

This review is about the hardback and maybe the latest paperback has more still, I am not going buy the paperback - that is of course if GT does not sell me a copy at his seminar I am attending later this year...