5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fine Book from Peter Kerr
Published on 31 July 2001 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A Modest Author
This is not the typical style of travel book I enjoy reading but I was glad I tried this one. Perhaps it's something to do with the way men write about their new lives as compared to women, but rarely do I finish a book of this kind unless it's written by a female or is about my most loved country, Italy.
I have little to add to the previous review but it is an...
Published on 20 Feb 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fine Book from Peter Kerr, 31 July 2001
This review is from: Manana Manana: One Mallorcan Summer (Summersdale Travel) (Paperback)
I read Kerr's Snowball Oranges last summer which dealt with his family's first (winter) months in Mallorca. Manana Manana sees them adjusting to the lifestyle and the relentless summer heat, and getting closer to the locals. It is a thoroughly enjoyable read that will transport you to the Mallorcan countryside - the author is extremely adept at playing with all of your senses to bring you the sights, sounds and smells of the Mallorcan countryside; hard to describe (unless you are the author of course), but there is a real mediterranean atmosphere throughout the book. Once duly transported, you are treated to the series of events and scrapes that the Kerr's seemingly enjoy/endure with differing degrees of relish. Mostly a riot, but peppered with some genuinely touching moments.
I highly recommend this book - if you have time, read Snowball Oranges first (subsequently reading Manana Manana is a bit like being reunited with old friends), though it isn't a prerequisite as the author is careful to provide background information from the first book where required. I'm now going to try and get my job relocated to Mallorca (as if......)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mallorcan breath of fresh air, 23 April 2003
Joanne (Northwich, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I read this back to back with the brilliant Snowball Oranges whilst actually on holiday in Mallorca. The tales of Peter Kerr and his family in the wonderfully simple and genuine Mallorcan countryside are hilarious, touching and very informative. Plenty of colourful phrases to be learnt too. Loved it!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Modest Author, 20 Feb 2002
By A Customer
I have little to add to the previous review but it is an honest book and once again I commend the whole family for their bravery. It is a huge step to take particularly with two sons, and with so much to learn about the basic necessity of earning a living ! (I trust the books have helped ?)
It's a very good book to read prior to a visit to the island, as there are one or two valuable insights which will make your visit more enjoyable. I think Snowball Oranges is slightly better for gleaning information about the Mallorcan way of life but do read at least one.
I would very much like to know more abot Ellie and what her real role is in this new venture so perhaps a third book will be forthcoming ?
I have no hesitation in commending this book to anyone vaguely interested in escaping the British way of life, whether physically or mentally !
My appetite has certainly been sharpened for my forthcoming visit to the Island.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful new life in the sun., 9 Aug 2003
This book is in the genre I usually go for but what a five star read this is. I read it whilst rained in for a week on the west coast of Scotland and as such could see real midge infected reasons for this families desire to start a new life on a Spanish island. It has the successful mix of farming disasters, public relation hang-ups - solved with humour. Trouble with the law, small farmstead - slow life - siesta - no hurries - no worries lifestyles. Primarily it took me to a hot place, riddled with the special kind of arid - tolerant attitudes that must prevail to make a go of it, which the Kerr family certainly exhibit. I am not generally fussy it's true as to my literary choices, as long as it's travel based, set near the Med. and is funny. This certainly fits the bill, and like my recent spectacular reads of Ripe for the picking, Eh? Is For Ants and A Parrot in the Pepper tree it has me itching to book a flight with a budget airline like pronto! That wet cloud over our holiday cottage certainly had a silver lining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, entertaining a joy to read, 12 Mar 2002
By A Customer
Having read Snowball oranges which I loved, I eagerly purchased Manana Manana. I was not disappointed, following on from Snowball Oranges, this book perfectly depicted the daily amusing incidents faced by Scottish family in the unfamiliar (to them) Malorcan summer. It took me back to sunnier weather, a manana lifestyle and I was chuckling throughout. A great fun book to read, interesting and entertaining and a fab sequel. I look forward to many more such books from Peter Kerr.Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Good One, 8 Dec 2012
After getting a kindle I downloaded all of Peter Kerr's books and have never been disappointed in any of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not just another travel book, 6 July 2002
Peter Kerr, doesn't write in the genre of Pete McCarthy/ Joseph O'Connor, but as one living the life under the sun of Mallorca. So if you picked up either this book or his previous ones and expected Bill Bryson, meets McCarthy meets O Connor, you'd be disappointed!
I read his first and was semi disappointed, but never one to dismiss him, I picked up a copy of Manana Manana and started to read.
I can't say I was overtly gripped by the story, but as its 'follow on', I already knew the main players and learnt more about them.
Therefore it was 'old faces' that I knew and read about, and how the kerr's first summer on Mallorca was taking hold.
The Kerr Family adapting to live as fruit farmers, and the laughs about the things that happened to them along the way.
And I say one thing to Peter Kerr, STOP TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT THE NICE PARTS OF THE ISLAND!You will spoil it for us that have known about them for years!
In a way he has been the one man band who may encourage people to visit the island, more so than Antioch their minister has done in the past year!
But, on a more serious note, there was something lacking, there was moments of sheer enjoyment and then something which made it all fall flat later on.
I haven't given up on Mr Kerr just yet, and have even pre ordered his 3rd book! Maybe the missing element comes with practice of writing, and to be honest I just don't know what it is that is missing, maybe I have read too many Bryson/ O'Connor/ McCarthy /Mayle books, but its a nice gentle to read when sitting on the beach, when you thought all Mallorca consisted off was egg & chips down the pub in Magaluff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
Great if your a majorca fan it was a great read

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 10 Sep 2013
A light hearted yet well informed read which provides a good insight into Mallorcan life and its farming processes I enjoyed this immensely

5.0 out of 5 stars So Funny. Worth buying, 20 Jun 2013
A follow on from Snowball Oranges - One Mallorcan Winter, a delight to read. Had me laughing out loud so many times.

Manana Manana: One Mallorcan Summer (Summersdale Travel)
Manana Manana: One Mallorcan Summer (Summersdale Travel) by Peter Kerr (Paperback - 3 July 2001)
7.31