5.0 out of 5 stars A book that tells it like it is.........
Published on 4 April 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing & rather patronising
Published on 13 Sep 2006 by Lady C

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that tells it like it is........., 4 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Conquering Anorexia: The Route to Recovery (Paperback)
As a sufferer of anorexia and someone who is trying to overcome the illness, this book has been invaluable. Claires feelings and emotions towards eating are so typical of an eating disorder sufferer. I was moved to tears throughout the book, and the self help section is invaluable for anyone trying to "self help" them selves through this illness. Even if you are not a sufferer of anorexia/bullimia, if you know anyone with an ED buy this book. It tells it how it is.... and makes you realise that anorexia is not just about food, it's about feelings and that you can not eat your way out of an eating disorder, you need to get in touch with your feelings/emotions first.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that tells it like it is........., 4 April 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable motivation, 1 Nov 2012
Loren (MA / Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conquering Anorexia: The Route to Recovery (Paperback)
Recovery is an ongoing process so I can't say this book was critical to mine, but it is a great motivator - I "recovered" 5 years ago, with my last hospital admission. This book was SO important. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what help and support you have or haven't got around you. Support is helpful, but you have to do the work, when you decide to choose recovery, and stop jumping down the same holes. The book is of course only one person's story, and the "story" of the author was not that interesting to me. But somehow this book was a really important motivator, and although some have found it patronising, when I was very stuck in decade old anorexic behaviors the self-help section was useful. I'd recommend it if you are ambivalent about recovery and wondering whether you might be able to find a better way to live your life, without and ED.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing & rather patronising, 13 Sep 2006
Lady C (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conquering Anorexia: The Route to Recovery (Paperback)
I was looking forward to reading a book from the UK written by a sufferer who is looking to recover. I was disappointed in this book as I think is gives an unrealistic view of Anorexia and recovery. I am a sufferer and found that I was patronised and was too general. I have empathy with the author, however I think it gives false hope to sufferers that it is easy to find self help groups and strategies. It may have a lot to do with the fact that I have very litte resourse in my area.

There are better books out there which portray the illness in much more detail and are realistic about the difficulties of recovery.

Conquering Anorexia: The Route to Recovery
Conquering Anorexia: The Route to Recovery by Clare Lindsay (Paperback - 15 May 2000)
Used & New from: £3.91