on 21 December 2003
'Good' sums up this book quite well. It is a comprehensive guide to every episode, and includes character/actor profiles and short interview pieces. However, it is struck by the curse of the official companion: It is neccessarily bland, unable to make negative comments on anything and required to support the view of the producers and the network in glossing over Michael Shanks' departure and other points. Essentially little more than a good episode guide, I would reccomend instead Keith Toppings' unofficial rival book.
on 2 September 2001
Superb book. It combines reviews of each episode from the first two series and comments from the cast and crew to go along with the episode. There are actor interviews and profiles and artwork of the main episodes. There's even how they make the costumes and special effects. Can't wait for the next volume due out next year. No SG-1 fan can be witout this book!
on 23 February 2002
I'm a fairly new fan to the Stargate phenomenon so "The Illustrated Companion Volume 1" was a really interesting read. The episode synopses were, maybe, a little too brief, but the extra information added -the interviews and the behind-the-scenes facts of each episode, made it very enjoyable. The book also has profiles on the characters and gives a brief account of the actors that play them. This is a `must have' for any Stargate fan and I've already placed my order for the eagerly awaited "Volume 2".
on 12 October 2001
Having been stupid enough to miss the whole of the first series and frustrated that it wasn't available on DVD, this book filled in most of the gaps. It also gives loads and loads of background info on the making of sg-1. Well worth every penny. Can't wait for the next volume...
on 10 March 2002
As Matt from Surrey said, there could have been a lot of extra stuff in this. I was expecting a few pages on each episode and an analysis/review. To be honest I was expecting something along the lines of 'Slayer' (Keith Topping's Buffy guide), instead I got this. Not bad but nowhere near the 'Watchers Guide' standard!
on 9 January 2002
A gem of a book if you like to keep track of the order of events and links between episodes. Any avid fan knows that with the repeat episodes running alongside current storylines it can get a little confusing. This book gives outlines of episodes without ruining the plot. I can't wait for book number two!
on 13 November 2001
As a Stargate fan, it is always hard to know which shows I've watched and what they were about, and so when I bought this book it was a refreshing change to reminisce about all the shows I had forgotten about, what had happened in them and to get some background information on the show and behind the scenes! Each show is summarised, you have comments from the cast and crew, plus there are cool photos to look at of the different shows! And to be honest, I'm not sure if I can wait until the release of the second book!
on 8 February 2002
Well i was waiting for a book like this to come out. Just a pity the book is not full colour but other than good. I like the episode guide and also the contributions from the cast especially the one written by Richard Dean Anderson.
I give this book 9 out of 10. I look forward to volume 2 coming out.
on 11 February 2012
Well written guide to SG-1 that is consise and informative. Whilst avoiding at the same time to come over too evangelistic about it's subject!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 October 2010
I bought this because I have all the other books in the series. I haven't read it yet but am sure it will be as good as the others.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse