5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent piece of work
Published on 10 Feb 2006 by Library dude...

1.0 out of 5 stars It's in French
Just adding this review in the hopes that it'll lower the star rating enough to get any future buyers to check the reviews. This edition IS IN FRENCH. I don't know how many of you check that it says 'in English' in the relevant place with every purchase. I certainly don't when the product description, name, and top reviews don't indicate anything otherwise.

I...
Published 17 months ago by katielondon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent piece of work, 10 Feb 2006
This review is from: Joss Whedon's Fray (Paperback)
I've just bought this for my school library but the kids haven't got near it yet. As their librarian, it is my duty to review as many of the new titles as possible, so I brought this one home for a quick read. My verdict is that it is simply superb, a wonderfully crafted story not betraying the 'other' slayer in any way and almost surpassing her in some respects.
My wife now has this book and I fear that my students may not see it for a while longer.
Just one other thing....this was written two years ago. Where's the follow up? Hey Joss, get on to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathe Easily, 17 Oct 2004
This review is from: Joss Whedon's Fray (Paperback)
Fray made my day and transported me back to the world of the Slayer but in a new and vivid way. When Buffy finished, I went into spin-off world and for the first time ever began reading graphic novels. I had heard about Fray for a long time and finally managed to get my hot little hands on it. Well, am I glad I did! The characters are passionate and beautifully drawn and there's that quality to each image that screams of big-screen potential ... or at least maybe after Joss finishes Serenity. Anyway, there's heart-breaking moments, tingly moments when you realise just how much you are part of this world by now. If you're anything like me, post-Buffy and post-Angel, you will have travelled with Joss along many roads and let me assure you, this is an amazing vibrant stop off on the journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Joss Whedon's comic book adventure of a future Slayer, 16 Dec 2003
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Joss Whedon's Fray (Paperback)
If the pivotal moment in the original story of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was when the blonde walked down the alley and kicked the butt of the monster that attacked her, thereby reversing generations of horror movie stereotypes, then the key moment in the story of "Fray" is when her Watcher shows up to train her in the fight against the vampires and our heroine pauses a beat (i.e., a frame with no dialogue) before asking "What is a vampire?" This is because Joss Whedon's story is set in the 23rd century, some two hundred years after "a Slayer, possibly with some mystical allies, faced an apocalyptic army of demons. And when it was done...they were all gone. All demons, all magics, banished from this earthly dimension." What happened to that particular Slayer? The chronicles do not say, apparently, but we learn that she was the last to be called. That is, until Melaka Fray.
Fray is a grabber, who works for Gunther, a guy who has been mutated into a fish (this is a future where apparently a hole in the ozone and other ecological problems create mutations on a Stan Lee-like level), grabbing artifacts and sundry items of value, all the way trying to avoid her sister, Erin, a copy. In an interesting parallel to "BtVS," Melaka develops a relationship with and is trained by her second Watcher, the demon Urkonn of the D'avvrus, who looks like a demon with the lower half of his face ripped off, and who is frequently enraged by the young woman he is trying to teach to be a Slayer. This is because Fray has no frame of reference regarding why anybody should want to fight the lurks. If Urkonn cannot get Fray to accept her calling, then (altogether now) it could be the end of this futuristic world as we are learning to know it. The result is interesting and can certainly help to fill the void left by the end of Whedon’s cult classic television show.
Ultimately, the eight issue of Dark Horse Comics' "Fray" are about the calling of a Slayer. After all, there has to be something pretty interesting going on if a Slayer has finally been called after two centuries, and there are several familial entanglements with which Fray has to contend. Besides, you should not be surprised when you get to Fray's final battle to learn that once again Whedon is playing with our expectations, albeit this time within the context of his own Slayer mythos. He is also obviously setting us up for a sequel that should have more of a payoff than this first effort. Working with Whedon on this project are penciller Karl Moline, who created Fray's look, inker Andy Owens, and colorists Dave Stewart and Michelle Madsen. The artwork is growing on me, because while the backgrounds are a lot sparser than I would like to see in a futuristic setting, Fray's face has some nice qualities and you can actually see how she matures over the course of the mini-series. The back of the book has an extended sketchbook by Moline showing the development of the characters and alternative cover ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fray is Frickin-A!, 10 May 2004
Mr. I. W. Gilmore (Lancaster, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joss Whedon's Fray (Paperback)
I'm a massive Buffy and Angel fan. Haven't seen enough of Firefly to warrant an opinion but I'm definitely gonna buy the dvd. I love Buffy and Angel because I grew up with them. Well, arguably I'm still growing because I'm only 19. But since I was 12 I watched Buffy, every week at the same time. And when Angel started, I did the same with that show - and still do.
Naturally, I'm gonna be interested in Fray then. A futuristic version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, written by the shows creator and featuring some wonderfully bright and colorful art. But to be honest, there was always a nagging feeling in my mind that Fray was just a cash in. As a result, I never bothered with it. Recently however, I had a means to buy it and chose to after all.
So I started it yesterday and finished it mere minutes ago. And you know what? I adored it. Whedon is such a wonderful writer. You can even watch the abortion that is the fourth Alien film and still enjoy the dialogue in it. But in Fray, the cocky, funny dialogue that permeates through Buffy and Angel is left in tact. Whedon steps up the ladder in terms of writing by adding a bunch of cool characters into the mix, too. Personally, I'd recommend you buy this for Urkonn alone - a seven foot tall goat-like demon beast that trains Fray.
And, by god, the art is beautiful. Such vibrant, wonderful colors and above all else a sense of being in a huge, sprawling metropolis. I sometimes detected hints of Mega City-1 here and there but referencing and pastiching isn't a problem. What I particularly liked about Fray however, was Whedon's knack for not being too bothered about how much he shows. It's a violent book, sure, and there is some swearing - but there is one scene in particular that I won't spoil, but that I can see otherwise featuring a happy ending in other publications.
So, anyway, I don't want to come across like more of a fanboy than apparantly appears to be, so all I'll say is: please, give it a shot if you haven't. It's such a well-realised story that plays really well on the Buffy mythos, and is full of excellent dialogue, action set-pieces (Melaka's introduction is worth the price alone) and wonderful art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 6 Feb 2006
A. White "Eternal-41269" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Joss Whedon's Fray (Paperback)
I've heard about the colours in this book, the bright vidid very detailed artwork and thought ok so its good but so what, but then I actually saw it, and they were ALL right. It simply is stunning!!!
The way in which its set out and the quick witted humour and sheer emotion thats put though the words is great.
Its a must for comic fans and I sugest Joss Whedon or/and Buffy verse fans try this too.
The only problem is that I want more!

1.0 out of 5 stars It's in French, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Fray (Paperback)

I now have an edition in French, which it really isn't worth returning (given the cost of postage vs. the cost of the book) and which will almost certainly just end up going to the charity shop. Given that this has clearly been an issue since 2010 (when the first review about it was posted) it would probably be a really good idea for someone to clarify on the product page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joss' best!, 22 Nov 2004
Geo Blorge "Actual Journalist" (East Morton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Joss Whedon's Fray (Paperback)
Absolutely awesome. I'm a huge Buffy fan, and despite the wait I had for this title, its safe to say it was worth it. Fray is the best thing I've read in ages, and it's a more than worthy part of the Buffyverse timeline. Fray seems to be based on Natalie Portman, which seems to suit the premise; Vampire slayer in the 26th century. Karl Moline's art is the best, and you can see why fans want to see this as a big screen picture. From the awesome city-scapes, to the brilliantly depraved sewers and to Urkonn, THE DEMON GOAT WATCHER, Fray screams of Silver Screen. A brilliant lot of dialogue is topped off by a great fight sequence towards the end, as well as a devastating finale.
Character exploration is what Joss does best, and despite a few minor reservations about the ending, this is a quality part of the Buffyverse that NEEDS A SEQUEL. Great for comic fans and Buffy fans alike. Awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully presented story, 15 Dec 2003
This review is from: Joss Whedon's Fray (Paperback)
A brilliant continuation of the cult Buffyesque series(no.8 in the series), set a few centurys after the present. Anyone who has bought the Buffy series of novels, will already love the similiar style of Whedon's. Although a suitable contemporary story, it gives the less familiar reader an untypical comicbook. The illustrations that Andy Owens and the art team give, matches the storyline remarkably, although the "girly type" image is never really forgotten in some sketches.
It may be a change of pace for the rest of the books that have been written on the demon,slayer,vampire cult,but this will certainly give a high target for anyone to follow.
It may be the fact that I won this book for free, but I would equally pay double to add to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic new character and truly worthy of the title "Slayer", 2 Aug 2009
Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fray: Future Slayer (Paperback)
I've got really into the Buffyverse graphic novels recently, and arrived at Fray via Angel: After The Fall: After the Fall: After the Fall v. 1 (Angel (IDW Publishing)) and Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Long Way Home. But you don't need to know anything about Buffy The Vampire Slayer to enjoy this collected edition of all eight editions of Fray: Future Slayer. The story is essentially told in such a way that those who have never heard of Sunnydale don't actually need to.

Melaka Fray is a typical Joss Whedon female character, and I mean "typical" in the best possible sense. She has a realistic figure, does not stand in unrealistic poses or show glimpses of cleavage or thong every other page and, well, the point I'm trying to make is she isn't the identikit softcore stereotype that comic book artists often play out to the cheap seats. That aside, she has a very individual look, a truckload of attitude and a troubled past. Throw in a story arc about realising your potential, some gentle self-deprecating humour and put your character through the emotional ringer a couple of times, and yes she's a Joss character alright. Eight issues - one collection - and I've learned to love her.

The story, without giving any spoilers, is that sometime far in the future Vampires are called Lurks and have lost a certain degree of their power. However they've got a mysterious new leader and a plan to get their groove back. Manhattan has become divided between the haves who live high up in the skyscrapers, and the have-nots, who live on the ground. Melaka Fray is a thief who makes Gwen from Angel look like an amateur, but unknown to her she is the first new Slayer to emerge for many generations (probably because of what Buffy did with the potentials). A huge horned demon is sent to fulfil the role of her Watcher, though the Watchers' Council has nothing to do with it. It seems an unlikely pairing, but the demon wants to prevent something from happening that will be bad for both sides. You come to like him. I'll say no more, but Joss is a very clever writer.

I enjoyed this book a lot, and would love to see more of Fray. This story has a great arc and some very well executed twists. As a film it would be amazing. The spirit of BTVS is in there but Fray is very much her own character. Having currently read up to Volume 2 of Buffy Season 8 I have yet to reach her guest appearance in Volume 4, but I'm looking forward to it. I really hope there is more one day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it. I'd stake my life you have a good timr, 15 May 2014
Great comic - I'm a big buffy fan and I loved this; classic sheldon dialogue, snappy action, stylish art, gorgeous colours; the eorks

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Joss Whedon's Fray
Joss Whedon's Fray by Andy Owens (Paperback - 19 Dec 2003)
Used & New from: £0.47