5.0 out of 5 stars John Constantine goes to hell and makes it his own
Published on 17 Mar 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Azarello should stick at what he's good at
I thought this book was poor. I was very disapointed with the way Azarello handled the troubled mystic, featuring barely any magic in this run and not doing justice to delano and ennis as they really took Hellblazer home. A few weeks ago I would be surprised to find myself writing this about sucha a gifted writer as Azarello as I love the 100 Bullets series...
Published on 26 Jun 2005 by isrealsson

5.0 out of 5 stars John Constantine goes to hell and makes it his own, 17 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Hellblazer: Hard Time (Paperback)
This was the first graphic novel i read in about four years and it got me hooked instantly. The story of how John Constantine goes to prison and turns it inside out is simply fantastic, with Brian Azzarello's script being so captivating in that it just doesn't give everything away. You never find out what turned Constantine's rapist foes into quivering wrecks in the shower and the sight of the gang boss being mistaken for a naked woman and raped by his own men is perhaps the most disturbing in the book. It is beatifully accompanied by Corben's artwork, which captures the spirit of the prison from hell perfectly. From the opening page of a man being raped by a fellow inmate to the final pages where Constantine adopts an electric chair as his own, personal throne, this is a comic book on par with the equally brilliant Preacher Series. Well worth the money and time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Constantine where he belongs, 27 Oct 2004
Richard Kelly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hellblazer: Hard Time (Paperback)
This book starts the road journey that John Constantine makes across America. We find him as he enters prison and is met by his fellow inmates, who fairly early on try to intimidate him.
How do you intimidate the man who destroyed Satan? The answer is fairly simple, you don't. The prisoners try it on with him, so Constantine fights fire with fire and turns their world upside down.
As with all books it is fairly difficult to write a review with out spoiling your enjoyment of it, but all you need to know is that Constantine turns the prison into his version of hell where he rules from the electric chair. How long does it take him - two days!!! Finally he has found somewhere where he belongs.
At the end we find out why he is in prison, and it is a fairly standard Hellblazer reason - he was doing what he thought was best for people that he loves, everybody else had better watch out though if they get in the way.
The artwork is possibly the main downside of this book, which rates 5 stars really. It's fairly standard cartoon work, and not what I expect to see when I look at John Constantine. However that aside it is a powerful story showing one man's journey into his own private hell.
I rate this book 9/10 rounding down to 4 stars because the art work isn't to my taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Time not loving it, 8 July 2010
This review is from: Hellblazer: Hard Time (Paperback)
I think Alan Moore's quote on the front of the book is sufficent reason to buy this book. Corben's art is always fantastic and combining his fantasy art background with hard hitting 21st Century Penal code reality is a masterstroke. Azzarello is a tough writing mofo who slots into the Constantine's writing like a cross between Frank Miller and Garth Ennis.

This is possibly my favourite ever Hellblazer tale though Jamie Delano is a hard act to beat.

Buy it read it love it

4.0 out of 5 stars A good story with unsuitable art, 20 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This volume collects issues 146 to 150 of the regular Hellblazer series, the first story by the first American to write the series since it began. He relocates John Constantine to America, and dumps him in prison. The story then escalates as Constantine irritates and intimidates his way through most of the gangs, culminating in prison riots, and the prisoners taking over the prison. The story moves at a reasonable pace, painting a fairly horrific picture of prison life, and the writer seems to have a good understanding of the central character, and creates some interesting new characters.
It should be noted that this book, and all those published under DC's Vertigo imprint, are suggested for Mature readers, and this one is definitely not suitable for younger readers.
The art is not really to my taste, and I don't feel it suits the story. While it succeeds in telling the story, and allows the characters to be identified, it feels too cartoony for the darkness of the story, and does, in places, detract from the mood of the writing.
Even though the poor art does drag it down slightly, the story is still interesting, and I felt it was worth reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Azarello should stick at what he's good at, 26 Jun 2005
This review is from: Hellblazer: Hard Time (Paperback)
However, Azarello's run on Hellblazer was shameful to say the least, and ruined the experience for me. One of the many flaws was the dialogue. We had some Dick Van Dyke English in there, "Alright mate", and it left me in tears.
I really think that Azarello should stick to what he is good at instead of trying to take on one of the most complex characters DC have come up with.
This isn't meant as slander to Brian Azarello as I love his other work but I thought his run on Hellblazer was terrible. Miss out the Azarello issues completely and head straight for the stuff written by Carey, who really took Constantine to the max.
If you are a collection freak like me, then buy this book but take it from me, you will be disapointed.

Hellblazer: Hard Time
Hellblazer: Hard Time by Richard Corben (Paperback - 14 Dec 2000)
Used & New from: £15.99