5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece
Published on 7 Dec 2011 by steelo

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated Fitzgerald
Unlike the The Great Gatsby which I enjoyed, I found this one heavy going, without the magic of being involved in a gripping tale!
Published 13 months ago by Ms. A. J. Airey

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: This Side of Paradise and The Beautiful and Damned (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
The novel "this side of paradise" is a very good one and I think is very important for someone studying Fitzgerald. I would certainly buy it and read it. It speaks about a young man who is rich. I read that Fitzgerald's first book is somehow immature and overly sophisticated in its tone but I don't think so necessarily. I think it is very suited with the atmosphere it depicts. It is very artistically written and very interesting.

The novel is full of incidents that are mixed up, sometimes imitating the way life is, just as jumbled. The plot is not clear but this fact only contributes to F. Scott Fitzgerald's intention to makes us feel the chaos and rush that were specific to wealthy Americans. The book has unity and force. The main character Amory Blaine is a symbol of selfishness and is quite despicable for the reader.

I am not a history or sociology expert but I am impressed by the details of that time that the author presents. I would hazard to say it could constitute a social and historical document of that period in America's history, not only this novel but F. Scott Fitzgerald's entire work. I always planned to buy all his books and make a study of America in those troubled crazy times, as seen by a very attentive insider.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!, 9 April 2013
I was stunned when I found this book to be only 1.99. I would certainly recommend it as it's two classics from one of America's greatest (in my opinion) writers Fitzgerald. I bought this to accompany the English course I am doing which focuses on the Great Gatsby. It's a no brainer really at that price as you get two very well written novels and the paper quality is not rubbish either as you may expect from such a low priced book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb value book., 4 Oct 2013
The book was purchased to read only This Side of Paradise, and was still a good price, even though one book was read already; I was pleased to find the book of such quality, considering the cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable addition to my Fitzgerald collection, 26 Feb 2014
I enjoyed these two stories, having already read the rest of the Wordsworth Fitzgerald books. These two I did find interesting, though not as compelling as, say, Gatsby. Still well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 15 Jan 2014
Bought this as a present for someone who lives abroad. I have read it before though and like all of F Scott Fitzgeralds' work. I'd recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars As described, 15 Jan 2013
The book was in good order and arrived quickly. The work is exactly what I wanted and enjoyed the read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated Fitzgerald, 4 Mar 2013
Ms. A. J. Airey "ajwk" (M/c UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars This side of paradise review, 1 Feb 2013
Let me start of by saying I had no preconceptions whatsoever about the story. All I knew, was that the author Scott Fitzgerald is an extremely renowned masterful American writer. When one retrospectively looks at their catalogue of books they have read over their lifetime, you've a natural tendency like with movies to class them on their quality. How many of them were just simply good reads? How many were real 'page turners'? When a book is deemed a 'page turner', does it also imply that it is a classic? Or at the other end other spectrum, how many were so horribly bad you can't believe that you languorously finished them?

To an dilettante of all literature like myself. Before you even turn the first page of an classical writers eternal masterpiece. There's a sense of self-examining or anxious contemplation with the fundamental question being 'am I versed well enough to read and fully comprehend and appreciate the language and writing structure of said book.

So, be bold, be brave. Let's begin...

The time period setting is the early 20th century.

The main antagonist of the story is Amory Blaine. We comprehensively follow his life-story from early childhood as his aristocratic mothers living boy doll touring together around Europe, to a radical bohemian young adult questioning life's purpose. A semi-autobiographical character birthed from Scott's own college days and war experience.

Amory is conventionally a hard character to like. He's unsentimental, selfish, superficially blasé, Romantic egotsit, supercilious, Extremely bright (he considers himself a genius) Incredibly vain and conceited. The last of which being the most prominent character trait as he continually questions himself and friends over being throughout the book, knowing darn-well the answer.

However, he is a flawed character that I can personally relate to. When I can see personality parallel's between the characters and myself, This becomes a very important factor in how much I emotionally invest in a book. Oh, we're very much the same you and me Amory, except, for the outrageously expensive private education, handsome features (I'm just merely good looking. Well, that's what my me mum tells me) and Poetic consciousness.

Anyway, I've become tired of writing this review as I Imagine you're of reading it. So, I'll finally sum up the book in one word.

TheupsanddownsofanIntellectuallyprivilegedyouth.

- Berrystar review

ARRAY(0xb42314a4)

This Side of Paradise and The Beautiful and Damned (Wordsworth Classics)
1.99