4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 16 July 2012
Teresa Lynch - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cranford and Selected Short Stories (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
I recently have discovered Elizabeth Gaskell, after reading North and South I wanted to get a better idea of her writing so I thought this would be a great book. Some of the stories were wonderful. My favorite being one of her most well known Crandford followed by Mr. Harrison's Confessions. These two stories were so well-written and were surprisingly quite funny. Some of the stories I found quite dull and I could just about finish them. Lois the witch was one of them. I found myself just wanting to skip to the next story, I had to force myself to finish it.
The majority of the stories were interesting and well written so this book is a good buy. There is quite a variety in the types of stories included. Although since they are only short stories a lot of the ending are abrupt and disappointing.

North and south is so far my top read from Elizabeth Gaskell followed by Wives and Daughters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting - but a pleasant surprise!, 23 May 2014
DB "davidbirkett" (Co. Kildare, Ireland (but born & raised Liverpool, UK)) - See all my reviews
I had enjoyed reading "Wives and Daughters" and liked the bits I saw of the recent TV series of "Cranford", so I expected this book to be mostly "Cranford" and the short stories to be along the same lines. In fact "Cranford" is really rather short, and only one of the short stories has a Cranford flavour to it. The others are much darker and deal with fate and obsession, ghosts and witches.I hadn't thought that Mrs G went in for that sort of stuff, but I rather enjoyed them - so much so that I chased down the original collections on Project Gutenberg and read a lot more of them. I'm now looking forward to "North and South" which I gather is different again.

4.0 out of 5 stars lots of footnotes, 9 April 2010
gabi macewan (UK) - See all my reviews
this is like a school edition with lots of numbered footnotes explaining words or references which is useful but interrupts your reading. the biography and background material are interesting though and some elements from the short stories were used in the 'cranford' adaptation on tv so a good link for people who enjoyed that. i particularly enjoyed the poignant 'cousin phyllis'

5.0 out of 5 stars A late comer to Mrs Gaskell, 23 May 2011
G. D. Busby "Cornish Graham" (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
Why oh why did I not discover Mrs Gaskell before? This Wordsworth Classics edition was seen by me at a conference book stall in Timisoara and, as I perused it, I thought 'wonderful'. The Doom of the Griffiths short story had distinct overtones of M.R. James and Lois The Witch something of Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter about it (but better!). Of course, the main part of this volume is Cranford and what a gem it is. I really wish I had discovered her oeuvre before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Includes notes to help us understand words used, 25 April 2014
I was expecting a copy with basic quality paper as it is a Wordsworth classic. However it was brand new as promised and the introduction to the book and notes on words and phrases used were especially helpful in this edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here are some tips for writing great reviews: Do explain why you liked or disliked this product. Do compare to similar, 11 Dec 2013
Albert Russo (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
Here are some tips for writing great reviews:

Do explain why you liked or disliked this product.
Do compare to similar products and share how long you've used this product.
Do identify specific attributes (e.g. comfort and fit of a shirt or the battery life of a camera) and whether they met your expectations.
Don't describe your seller or delivery experience (you can do that at amazon.co.uk/feedback).
Don't include promotional content of any kind or reviews written in exchange for compensation.

To see the full guidelines for writing reviews on Amazon, go here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matures like good wine/, 24 Sep 2013
The book arrived promptly and in perfect condition. I am enjoying reading it again after so many years.Still as entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good edition!, 21 Aug 2013
N. Spano - See all my reviews
This masterpiece by Gaskell is enhanched by an editorial cure which is not easy to be found today. Introduction and notes to the original text do really provide interesting and useful information to appreciate this classic at its best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good author, 13 Dec 2012
There are some very poignant stories here. One of them made me cry. The cranford story is very like the television series which highlighted the author and story to me.

Cranford and Selected Short Stories (Wordsworth Classics)
Cranford and Selected Short Stories (Wordsworth Classics) by Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell (Paperback - 10 July 2006)
1.89