4.0 out of 5 stars Nice edition, and excellent value.
This review relates to Complete Edgar Allan Poe (Wordsworth Library Collection)

This review is for readers like myself, who already have some familiarity with Poe's work, but are wondering what edition might be best to buy.

Published on 21 July 2012 by J. Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but too frail...
I won't go into the contents. They are nicely described in other comments and as you would expect all of Poe's most famous work is in here.
Published 18 months ago by D. Kastaniotis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice edition, and excellent value., 21 July 2012
J. Scott "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Complete Edgar Allan Poe (Wordsworth Library Collection) (Hardcover)
This review relates to Complete Edgar Allan Poe (Wordsworth Library Collection)

Initially I was considering the 'delux' Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe, The (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics). The Barnes & Noble edition certainly looks nice (it should be, since it's about three times the price of this edition), but I was partly put off by lots of reviews complaining about its small print. Also, it was going to take about 3 weeks for Amazon to deliver it. So, wondering if I would regret it, I ordered this edition instead.

Since it's about a third of the price of the B&N book, I was expecting quite poor quality, but when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised. It's not a 'delux' version by any means, but it's absolutely fine: A cloth-bound hardback, gold lettering on the cover - the awful portrait of Poe is the only thing I don't like about it!

The paper quality is also much better than I was expecting, and the print size is also absolutely fine.

It's not actually a COMPLETE collection of Poe (neither is the Barnes & Noble), but unless you're looking for something really obscure, you'll almost certainly find it inside these covers.

All in all, I can't imagine anyone buying this (at this price!) and being disappointed.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing quality for the price, 25 Nov 2010
Luke Paul "Luke" (England) - See all my reviews
I was at first buying this as a gift for my girlfriend, who loves poe's work! I wasn't expecting such great quality for the price but thought I'd give it ago! Needless to say I was VERY surprised at the quality of the book, very well packaged for transport as not to damage it, and very quick delivery, as for the book as it says it contains all of his collected works that are known of! and Im about to buy one for myself aswell!

A must have for the price!! 5*'s

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Book, 2 Aug 2010
Absolutely fabulous book. excellent quality edition, and packed with superb content. Poe genuinely was the original master storyteller (at least in my humble opinion).

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, 19 Dec 2010
I'm so happy that I bought this book! I believe everything Poe wrote is in that book, and it's so beautiful with the gold script on the cover of the book. It's definitely worth it! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but too frail..., 3 Jan 2013
However the book is really really REALLY frail. I don t know what I expected for the price, but the pages are so thin that start to "expand" and wrinkle right away in the point of contact with your hand. Even if your hands are not moist. Really cheap newspaper quality paper. I don't expect it to last. The blue edges of the pages are a nice touch, but really have no actual added value.
I would exchange it with a thicker paper any day...
I really see no purpose for this edition. Hardcovers are expected to be durable. I d rather see this in paper cover and no blue page edges but with thicker paper.
I will keep this as my go-to book along with my paperbacks and probably get the deluxe version for my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete Edgar Allan Poe (Wordsworth Library Collection), 10 Jan 2013
Excellent book for the price it is more than worth it, great to have hardback and it is a wonderful collection of Poe's work. Print is small but more than manageable. A quick point to mention...the pages are very thin, so if you are a little heavy handed this is probably not the book for you as they are likely to tear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Quality Book, 15 Mar 2010
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This looks and feels like a quality book. Hardback with gold embossing it could easily be mistaken for a collectors edition. Hence punches way above its weight price wise and an absolute bargain at this price.

I bought this book as a present and am not familiar enough with Edgar Allan Poe's work to know if it is truly comprehensive, containing everything he wrote though it does claim to. It certainly contains all the best known stories including the Pit and the Pendulum and the Fall of the House of Usher. It also has over 50 poems - writing poems was Poe's first love, but he was unable to make a living from it. Over 800 pages is plenty to keep most Poe fans amused for hours!

Definitely great value either for your own bookshelf or as a very acceptable pressie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy, 12 Oct 2012
Beautiful on the outside as well as inside. On of the best looking books around. However, you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover... The inside is of course just as enchanting - Poe's work never fails to impress. Great value and looks fab on the bookshelf :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic as always, 21 Aug 2010
I already owned a lot of Edgar Allan Poe's work, however this collection of all his short stories and poems is a fantastic and quality buy, i highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good edition of a great classic, 26 Jun 2014
I love Poe and have many of his titles in my collection. This edition is a summary of all his works and is a nice edition. I have seen nicer ones and worse ones. At this price this is a great buy though and I highly recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Complete Edgar Allan Poe (Wordsworth Library Collection)
Complete Edgar Allan Poe (Wordsworth Library Collection) by Edgar Allan Poe (Hardcover - 1 Mar 2009)
8.39