5.0 out of 5 stars Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery
Jane Austen. Her name is practically synonymous with classic, understated romance, as well as comedies of manners with a subtle, sly sense of humor.

And Austen's "The Complete Novels" brings together the full complement of Austen's finished novels, from the little-known "Lady Susan" to the classic bestseller "Pride and Prejudice" (and everything in between)...
Published on 16 May 2010 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable
I love these Jane Austen books and do not fault the stories at all. However the book is very big and difficult to carry around, The pages are extremly thin. For all these novels the cost is unbelievably low. However I wish I had bought all the stories as individual books
Published on 29 April 2009 by Mazda

‹ Previous | 122 23 2427 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Collection, 8 Dec 2009
T. Trousdale (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Novels of Jane Austen (Special Editions) (Paperback)
It's great to have all Jane Austin's books in one collection but this does come with a downside.

The book itself is rather big with fine paper and small print. Didn't have a problem reading the print though. Just found the size cumbersome and not suitable for reading in the bath/bed/on my commute which is where I do all my reading.

I would suggest buying the books individualy.

5.0 out of 5 stars collection of jane austen novels, 7 Aug 2009
as a fan of jane austen, i wanted all the books, this complete collection is reliable and the artwork cover make it worth ten times the price they r selling it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Large, complete, economical, 16 Aug 2014
Dr. K. E. Patrick (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Massive tome, but good value with all the main novels included, unabridged. I did get a bit tired of holding it, but a satisfying feeling when you slam that back cover closed and know that you've done the whole thing!

1.0 out of 5 stars English Author - American Spellings and Unspotted typos, 15 Sep 2013
Having only just started on the first story, "Sense and Sensibility," I realised very quickly that whoever input this story - or the proofreader - is either American or just didn't bother to change the default dictionary, since I was irritated early on by the American spellings of "honor," "good-humored" and "neighbor" rather than the English "honour," "good-humoured" and "neighbour." I also winced at irritating errors such as the word "be" where it should obviously have been "he," and so on: a spellchecker wouldn't recognise a problem there, but a proof-reader actually reading the material should have done.

However, I persevered, until finally I came to one sentence which included "in their favor" (American, again), followed in the next sentence by "...she was persuaded that a much smaller provision than 70001. would support her in affluence." Did anyone - I mean a real literate human being - actually proof-read this?

Jane Austen was a world-famous English author whose stories epitomised the social etiquette of the period, and having the smooth flow of her quintessentially English prose intermittently distorted by Americanised spellings and dreadful proofreading so completely destroys the pleasure of reading her books that I can't bear to read any more, and I have deleted the whole collection from my Kindle. I'm going back to the paper versions!

5.0 out of 5 stars A glimpse of another time., 17 Jan 2004
I loved most of the novels, though the last in the book was my least favourite.
I managed to read this book just before seeing the TV production of 'Pride & Prejudice' (probably a repeat when I saw it) and am glad the order was so. My own visualisation of the characters' appearance was very different from that on screen and I would have been denied that pleasure had I seen the TV first.
Jane Austen's portrayal of the characters is excellent and very believable. You do not need the television to see them very clearly for yourself.
For those of us living in the present day some of the expectations of the people in the novels seem very odd. I for one cannot imagine being so subservient, nor can I imagine relying on anyone else to provide for me. Only the fact that I enjoy reading the classics makes their lives familiar.
As an insight into former times these novels are a wealth of information, woven into wonderful scenarios with depth and clarity, forming a most enjoyable whole.
Definitely worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was fine but I found it very long as there is ..., 29 Aug 2014
It was fine but I found it very long as there is no way to know how many pages are in each story.

4.0 out of 5 stars an absolute treasure for Austen fans, 10 Jun 2009
LittleMoon (loving my life in the rain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
With the proliferation and popularity of TV dramas and movies based on Jane Austen's work, you might imagine that you don't need to read the books... but you'd be wrong. Austen's stories may be immensely filmable, but they're even better in their original form: written down.

Where Austen excels is in her wise, authoritative and often humorous prose, her blend of irony and sympathy, her endearing female characters and her indefatigable ability to create page-turning narratives from the tea-cups and drawing rooms of everyday life. She also provides an indispensable social commentary on the life and times of women in rural Regency England.

Pride and Prejudice remains her crowning achievement: a flawless novel of unforgettable characters, witty dialogue and a timeless story, and I can't help but quote one of my favourite parts. When our heroine Elizabeth seeks advice from her parents on the marriage proposal from Mr Collins, her father replies:

"An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do."

The Penguin edition is special because it contains one of Austen's lesser-known novels, Lady Susan, which is epistolary in form. It is often remarked on as being the weakest work, but is nonetheless highly readable and unmissable for the Austen devotee. This set of 7 works does not contain an introduction, which may disappoint some (hence the missing star from an otherwise 5-star collection).

At nearly 1400 pages, those new to Austen might be terrified by the sheer mass of prose here, and I would advise you to begin with the Wordsworth Classics editions of individual novels (Pride and Prejudice, Emma and Mansfield Park being arguably the finest). Personally, I love the weight and vastness of this collection, and can only mourn that Austen didn't write more...

4.0 out of 5 stars Jane Austeen complete Novels, 1 July 2009
First delivery incorrect but return and exchange was easy.
Final version in perfect state.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 July 2014
Please refrain from calling me 'disgusted customer' - that was years ago!

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete works of Jane Austen ( It's a tome), 11 April 2010
Mrs. S. J. Bulloch "Sue B" (England) - See all my reviews
Obviously the subject matter is excellent as expected. Also it represents excellent value for money. The only problem with this book is it's size. It is almost impossible to relax when reading it, you would have to have arms of steel to read it in bed for example. So just bear this in mind and think about when and where you would be reading it.

‹ Previous | 122 23 2427 | Next ›

The Complete Novels of Jane Austen (Special Editions)
The Complete Novels of Jane Austen (Special Editions) by Jane Austen (Paperback - 5 Jan 2005)