5.0 out of 5 stars What a rollercoaster
Published on 16 Oct 2003 by Kathleen

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't ask, don't tell....
Published on 21 Nov 2003 by Tina

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a rollercoaster, 16 Oct 2003
Kathleen (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I chose this book because my daughter was a victim of rollermania in the 70s and by association I felt I knew the author. After all I was confronted by his image from every direction whenever I entered my daughter's room. I thought the book would be a pleasant trip down memory lane but having finished it I feel a great sadness for Mr McKeown. It's a cliche but "I had no idea", and I wasn't even a fan. A very moving and sometimes hilarious read and probably the most honest biography I've read in a long time. Read this and you'll come out of it really feeling you know the writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shang-A-Lang, Life as an International Pop Idol, 16 Oct 2003
xzzbzz (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
As an ex-BCR fan (although I must admit that I am once again catching the fever), I really looked forward to reading this book. I treated myself to its serialisation in the Edinburgh Evening News online and once it arrived, I finished Les' story in 2 sittings, burning the midnight oil. Being a fervent former admirer of Eric AND Les, it was a let-down to know that there is no love lost between them. This hit me much harder than the confirmation that the boys partook of sex and drugs in addition to rock & roll. My innocence is definitely gone, although at age 37, I assumed that they were not the choirboys their image made them out to be, and they were actually very naive in many ways. When I was 10-11-12, they seemed so big and grown up to me, when most of them were actually still in their teens and painfully young. This book is a must for fans and any young hopefuls out there who dream of a career in music. Les is very articulate and not at all wary of telling it like it is. His story has many faces and can be poignant as well as funny and sad. Les is a survivor who doesn't take himself seriously and there's an endearing self-deprecating tone throughout the whole book. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad & Funny!, 7 Nov 2003
By A Customer
As a young girl of 12 I dreamed of meeting Les Mckeown, and he would realize I was the *one* for him! Years later I met him and things did not work out quite as I had dreamed but,I did get to meet a man with a sense of humor and a good soul.
This book displays both of these qualities of the man known as the "bad boy" of the Bay City Rollers. Les gives you a front row seat to the person he is, flaws and all. At times this book can make one laugh out loud or relate to painful experiences of life, such as the passing of ones parents. This is a must read for anyone who adorned their walls with the tartan wearing boys of our youth. It may sadden you to see all was not as it seemed in the band but,it will give a feeling of nostalgia and a window into the soul of a troubled man who lost so much yet still pushes forward today.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't ask, don't tell...., 21 Nov 2003
Tina "Tina" (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
I, like all buyers of this book, was a HUGE BCR fan. When I found out this book was coming out, I paused before buying to ask myself... "do I REALLY want to know". In the end, I give in and I should not have worried. This book is extremely sugary and glosses over almost everything in the BCR era - with the exception of Les and Eric's intense dislike of each other.
A tell-all book about a band should be about specifics concert dates, specific events, specific conversations. This book reads as one long diatribe against ONE member of the group and not much else.
Where were the funny stories? (there had to be a few a least?). How about weird experiences with fans (other than "I snuck out of the hotel....), how about "here is how the industry works, etc.
I enjoy Les honest portrayal of himself and some of the stories were cute, but after reading this, my teeth hurt from too much glossing over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shang A Lang My Life as an International Pop Idol, 27 Nov 2003
I had this book shipped to me from England as it is not available in Australia yet.
I thought it was a fantastic read and gave a lot of insight into
the friction within the band.
I thought Les Mac was quite sincere in telling his story and I guess it would be nice to hear the other side also.
I was lucky enough to have my book signed by Les whilst he was here touring Oz and to meet the guy and what a lovely person he was.
So to any Roller and Les Mac fan out there reading my review go and do yourself a favour and read this book.
Cheers All
Wendy Peters

5.0 out of 5 stars SHANG-A-LANG is a must read!, 23 Oct 2003
LesLass (Chattanooga, TN) - See all my reviews
I, along with many other fans of Les McKeown, anxiously awaited the release of this book. It was well worth the wait! The book captures your interest from the beginning & though it was at times sad to know how things REALLY were with the Rollers, I give LES much credit for taking the time & effort to put it all into words for us. It had to have been very difficult for him. As a teen, I had this illusion of how it must be for them. I was so wrong! I am now 41 years old & STILL a very active fan of Les'. I have even more respect for him than I did before. He has shown (along with co-author, Lynne Elliott) that his talent is not only singing, though he still does an excellent job of that, but writing as well. Shang-A-Lang is a "ROLLER" coaster of emotions from start to finish & a must have for any Roller (or Les) fan past or present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic !!, 23 Oct 2003
D. Allen "denise" (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
I bought this book cos i was a huge fan back in the 70s,it was curiousity more than anything.
and i was very surprised at how frank Les was about his chilhood,and the beginings of his pop career.
the book tells of his struggle to be a pop idol and the realisation of it not being what he thought it would be.
what surprised me the most was the talk about the friction between Les & eric cos as a teenager i thought they were best buddies,but apperently eric resented Les from coming in at the last moment before they hit fame.
this book is a must for any roller fan,it puts the record straight on a whole load of shenanagins that we were fobbed off with.in parts it is funny and in others it will make you cry.
and it is all told in Les' own style as if he was sat next to you retelling you it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bay City Roller, 24 Aug 2012
Ms. Evm Hill - See all my reviews
An excellent read, which bought me back to my youth, really good would recommend to anyone, although would say that I think poor old Les does hold a grudge, which I cant blame him for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Insightful!, 23 Aug 2013
I have given this book a 4 star rating as I thought it was well written, insightful and quite funny at times!

As a young girl of around 9 years old, Le McKeown was my heart-throb. I dreamt of marrying him and living happily ever after.
I had posters on my bedroom wall of him and the other rollers and loved their music.
Although some of the stuff written in the book is common knowledge, I was quite shocked to read about the arguments and hatred that the band felt for each other (especially towards Les). I remember reading and hearing how the guys didn't touch alcohol - preferring to drink milk, and reading how this wasn't really the case and also how illegal substances were used on a regular basis was quite an eye-opener (although I guess I shouldn't really be surprised). I also found it hard to take in how controlling Tam Paton was and the lengths to which he would go to in the name of publicity.
The one thing this book didn't really touch upon was the alleged sexual assault upon Les when he was around 17/18 years old or his bi-sexuality. It tended to concentrate more on the feuding within the band.
It's a good read for anyone who was - or still is, a fan of Les McKeown and the Bay City Rollers.
The book made me laugh, made me cry and surprised me at times too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Les Mckeown Brillant, 18 Mar 2014
I bought this book 2nd hand from Amazon quite awhile ago
The way Les tells his story is brillant - it made me feel as though i was sitting in a lounge chair - and he was in my lounge room - telling me his story:
It made me cry - laugh and have naughty thoughts:
I thought it was brillant - but be warned Once you start to read it - its hard to put away

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Shang-A-Lang: The Curse of the Bay City Rollers
Shang-A-Lang: The Curse of the Bay City Rollers by Lynne Elliott (Paperback - 2 Feb 2006)
Used & New from: 51.77