5.0 out of 5 stars Narco-sism for all
Published on 10 Mar 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish
Absolute nonsense and drivel. Couldn't even force myself to finish it!
Repetitive and boring and a waste of good money.
Published 7 months ago by sas

5.0 out of 5 stars Narco-sism for all, 10 Mar 2004
By A Customer
I have just finished this excellent story of the underbelly of the drug world - shocking stuff, but a rip-roaring story that I couldn't put down. Mr White is obviously no mere apologist for his past life, and for that I salute him. But I wouldn't want to meet him! I only hope someone makes a film about him, as it would make Snatch and Trainspotting seem like a holiday romances. The truth is more shocking than fiction.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 8 Sep 2013
Absolute nonsense and drivel. Couldn't even force myself to finish it!
Repetitive and boring and a waste of good money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mother Teresa in a miniskirt, this was radical., 11 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Mr Nasty: Misadventures in the Drug World (Paperback)
I ordered around 7 books altogether. I read THIS one second from last. Now that I've finished it - I wish someone would present me with another 20+ chapters of it! Impressed.
This was a book I just wasn't able to put down, quite literally. I'd even deliberately read slower, so as not to finish quickly! I told myself that I'd read up to a certain point in the book, but 100% of the time - I exceeded that certain point and ended up reading waaay beyond. Subsequently, I found myself reading way into the night and into early am...! Gripping. And I never usually read past 12:00am.
A thrilling story of the (mis)adventures of a guy lost in the narcotic underworld, fleeing from place to place, getting in deeper and deeper. I really must comment on how brilliantly this story is told. At times, it's humorous and at other times, not so much humorous but shocking. And there is suspense aplenty. The fact that this was non-fiction made it more difficult to stop reading I found. It happened. It was true. And throughout, I did find myself frequently wondering HOW a drug dealer/drug user/JUNKIE could be so wonderfully articulate and possess such an extensive and colourful vocabulary (for lets face it, such a loser), but also, HOW somebody like THAT was also clearly an intellectual too. A good brain : Wasted. This story does do somewhat to extinguish the common (mis?)conception that drug dealers/users are all generally stupid and moronic. THIS guy is certainly not your average on that score (no pun intended) and is in fact, far from stupid...bar the reckless, excessive drug use that is.
It was truly refreshing book overall, whatever genre of book you usually prefer to read. There should be more books like this quite frankly! I genuinely enjoyed it. An enthralling and fascinating read, but do anticipate some graphic accounts of drug taking...not surprising given the title of the book. "Mo" even offers the reader some rather candid advice along the way, in the form of Mr Nasty's Rules. For example, tips on the best places to buy your narcotics and where to avoid...! Good to see he is about customer service! ;)
Unlike the reviewer above - I'd quite like to meet him. As you read, you begin to form a view on what this character would look like, how he'd speak, his accent, etc. Be great to have my assumptions confirmed, or corrected! Although I would *not* wish to meet some of the well...psychopaths he encountered on his journey around the globe...! This book is a reaffirmation of the cut-throat nature of the drug business. This is the REAL world.
A recapture of this...chronicle on the big screen would be fantastic.
This was the first book I actually felt compelled to write a review about. This book, ironically, had/has an addictive quality all of it's own...

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable enough read read but truly contrived, 22 May 2010
This review is from: Mr Nasty: Misadventures in the Drug World (Paperback)
I have read a fair few 'drug underworld' books and have also had a few personal experiences to draw from when digesting the topics of these books.

I found this book fairly run of the mill when it comes to this kind of genre but nevertheless very readable and quite a page turner.

The Author Cameron White takes us on his worldwide drug fuelled adventure.

I just think (as a previous reviewer mentioned) that the story should be taken with a pinch of salt and perhaps treated as fiction. I noticed inconsistences and unexplained irregularities. An example was fairly early on in the story Cameron had to flee London to escape the Doherty brothers but later in the story "London" was referred to as his home and he returned to London on various occasions without any mention of the previous impending consequences or inability to reside in London...what gives? Also, mid-way through the story there appeared to be a 4 year gap in which we have no idea what the protagonist Cameron was doing apart from apparently working "dead end" jobs, with no fuller explanation than that, this point was between when he returned to London from his trip to Bangkok and then made the journey to Berlin some time later.

Another thing that i pondered on while reading the book was that the author made no comprehensive mention of any sexual or emotional relationships? Only a tiny paragraph mentioned being "in love" towards the end of the book. I found it quite odd that throughout all the tall tales or drugs, money and power Cameron remained celibate? I know the book is all about the author's life of drugs but surely at some point some sort of sexual urge, emotional response or physical relationship must have taken place?

I don't doubt that the basis for the story has some truth in it but i think the book may be padded out with some shock and awe inspiring moments, it reminded me a bit of the book 'Addict' which i found similarly compelling but somewhat hard to believe.

A decent page turner but ultimately i think this book showcases the authors imagination and witty writing rather than a proper true life tale.

Try Notting Hill Girl or Marching Powder if you enjoy this kind of book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misnomer, 28 Sep 2006
This review is from: Mr Nasty: Misadventures in the Drug World (Paperback)
Whilst it's true that Mr Nasty is actually quite an unpleasant chap at the book's beginning, this does not continue for the rest of his story. I would think Mr Victim would be a more appropriate title- the protagonist gets jostled and booted around in drug-related scenarios across the globe learning little that most schoolchildren don't already know and losing every time. His experiences are also quite generic and frankly hard to believe. The underlying message (which he fails to acknowledge) is that drugs may turn you into a bore.

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but flawed, 23 Sep 2006
This review is from: Mr Nasty: Misadventures in the Drug World (Paperback)
I found the book was an enjoyable read but lacking in substance and believability.

As someone who has been down the same streets in life as the author much of the story strikes me as contrived and false. As an examble he seems to have been able almost at the drop of a hat to change location/job/lifestyle etc. Also many of the scenarios he discribes and his actions within them don't ring true to someone who has lived amongst the same breed of people for much of his life.

I would suggest treating it as a work of fiction!

ARRAY(0xa4a3b6fc)

Mr Nasty: Misadventures in the Drug World
Mr Nasty: Misadventures in the Drug World by Cameron White (Paperback - 25 Oct 2004)
6.20