4.0 out of 5 stars This is Colin Bell
A good book about a quiet man. A quiet man who was lord of the field. He didn't need words to show who was the best, his feet and his brain proved that.

I pride myself in being a fan of City for 40 years and priveleged to have seen that golden era of the magnificent team the late 60's and early 70's.

This book is not full of "let me tell you what I...
Published on 17 July 2006 by K. McGowan

3.0 out of 5 stars A footballer never forgotten.
Colin Bell was one of the few footballers I've seen in the flesh who I'd describe as a genius. He deserves a greater testament to his time as a player than this book provides.

Published on 12 July 2006 by Chulsk

3.0 out of 5 stars A footballer never forgotten., 12 July 2006
This review is from: Colin Bell - Reluctant Hero: The Autobiography of a Manchester City and England Legend (Hardcover)

I appreciate that this is an autobiography of a footballer and not a work of high literature, but it fails for me because it is written in a very simplistic, almost schoolboy narrative. I understand that Colin Bell was not a gifted writer and I also appreciate that Ian Cheeseman is a worthy broadcaster but the book lacks depth.

I wanted to know more detail about his on pitch tussles against some of the best players of his time. I wanted a bit more of the banter that went on behind the scenes. I wanted more opinion as to why the Mercer/Allison management team was one of the most successful of it's day. That's essentially my problem with the book...I was just left wanting so much more.

Colin Bell remains one of my favourite players of all time. I was in the crowd when he sufferred the injury that cost him his playing career and deprived the England team of midfielder of the highest order as he approached his peak. This book gives what I feel is a mere taste of the Colin Bell story, and whilst it is a quick & easy read, I won't return to it again but satisfy myself with the glorious recollections of Colin Bell and the memories I have of the late sixties to early seventies Manchester City team that provided so much entertainment to the Blue half of Manchester for all too brief a period.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is Colin Bell, 17 July 2006
K. McGowan (Ireland) - See all my reviews

This book is not full of "let me tell you what I did son" stories.

It is about a quiet, modest North East lad who went to the top of his game, only to have his career ended by injury far too early.

He showed strength and determination to get back on the field, at the same time, trying to maintain his dignity and raise a family.

The book tells it all, home and pitch life, up to the present day.

The author has done loyal fans a service by letting us know the real Colin Bell.

Sit back, open it up and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colin Bell - Reluctant Hero, 29 Oct 2011
As a City fan who had seen Colin play at Maine Road in the early 70's I could not put this book down. How refreshing to read about a true gentleman with very unique skills who was not "full of himself". He was a wonderful player - he could do everything. He worked tiredlessly for City and gave the club his all - but he never forgot his working-class roots. I have DVD's of Manchester City's games in the 70's and also some of England's games in the same era and Colin stands out on both.

When Colin got the ball, the Kippax used to bounce with excitement - there was not many times when he missed a goal!! He was loyal through and through to City and our fans - and after watching Colin you could see why he was "The King of the Kippax".
A great read for any footy fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bell, 3 May 2012
A fantastic read of a time when footballers were footballers and not pd an easy read of a footballing legend Colin Bell

3.0 out of 5 stars Xmas gift, 10 Jan 2012
Hayley Daniels (UK) - See all my reviews
The recipent of this present was a late teenage football fan of Man City, he was thrilled that I had thought out of the box for this as a gift. Books are often underated as a present now with so much technology. An autobiography I think is a book to pick up and put down so wouldn't work so well as a kindle offering as I watched him thumb backs and forwards to the photos

5.0 out of 5 stars What a ding-dong;Bell rings out hard and clear., 8 Aug 2010
O.K.,I admit,that when I was a schoolboy and learning my own skills in the beautiful game,I thought that 'I' was Colin Bell! What a ding-dong player this man was.You find out that the player was and is the man.A smashing man,a good man.The book is a superb read.To Colin and Ian Cheeseman;'The lads have done well'.A win.A great result.

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST GREAT!, 5 May 2010
As a life long city fan, this is easy........its a great book about a great player who comes across with humility and honesty. you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sentimental and heart warming story, 13 Dec 2005
By A Customer
The book is just like a miniskirt, long enough to cover the main parts and short enough to keep you interested!
Very easy to read, and a fantastic look into Colins life. It doesn't focus too much on one particular area of his life, but just goes through each stage in a moderate amount of detail. It also pokes into detail for some important things, but not enough for you to get bogged down.
Interesting, and moderately diplomatic description of the time when Colin was sacked from his position as Youth Development Officer.
Well worth buying for any City fan.
Colin emerges from this as a humble but obviously successful person. Unlike some other books that continuously hammer a certain trait of their personality every other page, this book gently portrays a shy man who made it onto the big stage and would rather do the performance and go instead of milking an encore.
It's a genuine, honest and entertaining story. Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Sep 2014
Colin bell is my hero and loved his book colin bell is god too me !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good easy read., 28 May 2011
Good easy read about a true legend,typical of the rags to have ended his career.Wish him good health for many many years to come.

Used & New from: £0.01