5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure in the extreme
Published on 10 April 2001 by duncan@duncanbrown.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Determined or Selfish?
Published on 4 May 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Determined or Selfish?, 4 May 1999
By A Customer
As I read this book, I was not sure what I thought of Alvah Simon. Was he a great adventurer or was he simply a man so obsessed with fulfilling his dream that his wife and family were of secondary importance? I admired his respect for nature and for native cultures. I was deeply troubled by the fact that he was (by choice) not at his wife's side as she faced what was probably one of the greatest tragedies of her life. She probably felt just as alone as he did. I think the true hero of this story is Simon's wife, Diana. Through all of her husband's questionable decisions and antics, she stood by him and never lost faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure in the extreme, 10 April 2001
This review is from: North To The Night: A Spiritual Odyssey In The Arctic (Paperback)
A book for all lovers of adventure, sailing, and the Arctic North. The author sets out to sail his yacht north firstly to Greenland and then, with a change of heart, to the far north of Canada knowing he only has an ice window of a few weeks to sail in and out again. He then deliberately traps his yacht into the ice to become trapped for the duration of the long dark Arctic winter. Over a hundred miles from the nearest human habitation, with his supplies running out, in total darkness and alone - apart from the ferocious polar bears: this is adventure in the extreme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Adventure Story, 24 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
"North to the Night" would be a great true adventure story even if it were written only as a mere chronology of a fantastic trip to the high arctic. It is more than that. Fortunately, the author saw fit to weave the story of his own intra and interpersonal "voyages" into the narrative itself. For those, unfortunately, who are unable to indentify with his virtual despair on returning to "civiization" after thirteen years of sailing adventures or his obsession to spend a year virtually alone in the high artic, such intimate personal discussions might seem bizarre or self-serving. I found it all fascinating. So, too, with his discussions of the Inuit and the Arctic environment itself. Sensitive, insightful and, like the book as a whole, beautifully written. I have for years been a fan of sailing adventure stories and have read many. This is one of the best. I only hope his next book is not too far off.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
I was initially excited about this book, and it did have some good features. Like its pictures and descriptions of northern Canada, which I found very compelling. But the premise is dumb (why does he _need_ to go freeze himself into the ice?), and Simon's philosophical babblings get really tiresome by the end. I ended up feeling really sorry for his wife who has to put up with him. I also shared a chuckle with the Inuit, who conned him into going up and mooning a polar bear!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a pair: North to the Night and Voyage of the Narwhal, 19 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
As an avid reader of the grand adventures at the south pole, I turned my attention northward by reading North to the Night immediately after finishing The Voyage of the Narwhal (Andrea Barrett). What an extraordinary pair to read back to back! Barrett's fictional account of a voyage to nearly the same place as Simon's reflects the folly and, worse, the destruction to the north's natural environment and its inhabitants caused by the ego-driven drive for "scientific" discovery. On the contrary, Simon, a species of human being of which I am in awe and find nearly unfathomable, informs his every act with a reverence and respect for that same environment and native peoples. I couldn't put either book down. North to the Night is all adventure, part prayer, and complete homage to what is left of the natural world. Simon is a great, self-deprecatory story teller, with a warming sense of humor. As a cat lover, I was so glad that at least he had the company of Halifax, after his beloved wife was forced to return to New Zealand. As an armchair adventurer, I have rarely had so thrilling a read in the contemporary literature of the exploration of the earth's extremes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating combination of adventure, anthropology and angst, 11 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
Simon explains with lucidity the rationale of "Because it's there." This journal of adventure, anthropology and angst captures the spirit of self-seeking which drives many to pursue death-defying dreams that test their wills against the natural elements. Yet, Simon's narrative is filled with the history and humanity of the Inuit who thrive in the Arctic. A captivating story of determination.

5.0 out of 5 stars I literally couldn't put it down!, 21 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
I began reading on a Saturday afternoon and found myself in the same chair, book in hand, at 2:00 in the morning. This is an extraordinarily compelling story beautifully told. I know a lot more about sailing now, but I have learned far more about life. This is one of those rare books that have you wishing the author had written twenty more. I loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A totally engrossing book!, 15 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
I was completely caught up in this book from start to finish. I wish I personally knew the author, his wife, and his cat - and I wonder how life is for them now that the grand adventure is over. This is a book about ways to live life that everyone should read. I can't understand why it isn't on the bestseller list all year long!

5.0 out of 5 stars A well planed adventure not many could even contemplate, 1 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
A truly fascinating recounting of an exploration one would think out of tune in these 1990's. I followed the whole adventure useing my National Geographics Atlas and learned much of geography, sailing and the Inuit people. Even Halifax, the cat, became a true important crew member on Alvah and Diana's odyssey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alvah writes a spectacular and sweeping tale, 25 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
Alvah writes a spectacular and sweeping tale wherein he forces himself to experience all that there is to experence in his surroundings. We could all learn so much from this investigation of not simply this man, but of all humanity as he struggles to survive alone in the Arctic night.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

North To The Night: A Spiritual Odyssey In The Arctic
North To The Night: A Spiritual Odyssey In The Arctic by Alvah Simon (Paperback - 28 Sept. 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01