4.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up, very poor translation to Kindle though
Published on 27 Dec 2011 by WayneLeeds

2.0 out of 5 stars A poor follow on to 50 dead men running
I bought this as I'd enjoyed 50 dead men running so much.
Published on 9 Mar 2010 by T. M. Stephenson

2.0 out of 5 stars A poor follow on to 50 dead men running, 9 Mar 2010
T. M. Stephenson (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Man Running: A True Story of a Secret Agent's Escape from the IRA and MI5 (Paperback)
I bought this as I'd enjoyed 50 dead men running so much.
This one was repetative to the point of iritation and drawn out longer than it needed. I couldn't keep the thread at times and easily got lost, which I don't usually. In the end I found myself skipping bits to get to where he'd been shot as I wanted to know how badly hurt he was and how he recovered, but this isn't really covered!
I don't doubt he's had a horrid time and been treat very badly, but this book wasn't worth reading. It was also a poor quality printed book and the cover looked odd and blurred.
I wouldn't bother if you're only getting this because you enjoyed the first one so much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up, very poor translation to Kindle though, 27 Dec 2011
I have this on paperback but never read it. Since I recently purchased a Kindle, I thought I would make this my first reading on my new device. The story was very similar but very well interlinked with the first book and I am still 50% of my way through and enjoying so far. As this is the first book I have read on Kindle, maybe I am being a little hasty in speaking about the quality of the translation to Kindle, but for me, it was a major observation and important to any serious reader. There was seemingly a lack of proof reading before publishing this version to kindle. It is almost as if someone has audio-typed the transcript and made a host of typo-errors and joined wordstogether <- Like that - even very obvious spelling errors! Often this is confusing and when you are so used to reading from properly proof-read paperbacks, this is something of a nuisance. Did anyone else find this is the case and also, have I got this lack of care to look forward to on all future kindle releases? My rating has dropped a star (not the author's fault, I guess it is the fault of the person who translated to Kindle).

3.0 out of 5 stars Not A Good Follow-on, 2 Jun 2011
This follow-up to Fifty Dead Men Walking is slightly disappointing. He has become very paranoid, not about the IRA catching him, but that the British Government want rid of him. If you read about his time undercover in the IRA, you should read this book about his time on the run from them, but don't expect gripping stories in this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, great follow up to Fifty Dead Men Walking, 12 Feb 2013
Easily the best ever book written about MI5 RUC IRA and N Ireland. This is a well written book, a page turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Man Running, 8 Feb 2013
A revealing account of how our security services abandoned one of our top agents within the IRA once he had outlived his usefulness. It seems that it would have been more convenient for them for him to have met the same fate as other agents before him - with a bullet in the head. He remains to them a thorn in the side as he continues his quest to expose the truth behind the apparent IRA assasination attempt. Did they view his ongoing surival merely as a cheap risk that had to be removed? Martin McGartland today still seeks to expose the secutiy services' lies and apparent conspiracy - aided and abetted by Northumbria Police. If and when he does expose the truth, and I sincerely hope he does - it will make a fascinating conclusion to what would be a trilogy of his life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could have been better, 11 Feb 2011
In a nutshell, if you haven't read the authors previous title (50 dead men walking) you will thoroughly enjoy this book and for you it should be a four to five star rating. If however, like me, you have read the previous title then three stars is being generous. Interesting as the authors life is after leaving N.I it is obviously not enough to fill a book, hence huge sections of the first book re-told word for word in this sequel, which is very disappointing. I reviewed and 5 star rated the prequel to this book and would recommend anyone to read that as it's a stunning and impressionable read.......unfortunately this title leaves you a little bit like 'this one was for the money'. Shame.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dead man running, 7 Sep 2006
There were some really interesting stories in the book, but it was spoilt by the fact that Martin McGartland repeated things over and over again. This book could really have been 10 pages shorter. Not a book I would want to read twice. A poor follow up to the first book, Fifty Dead Men Walking.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was brilliant I could not put it down., 10 Aug 1999
By A Customer
If you read fifty dead men walking and liked it, you will LOVE this book. Within 2 days I had finished the book I could not put it down. It will open your eyes to the deciet and double crossing that seemingly takes place within our own government. This book explains some of the details from his previous book and often refers to it. I strongly suggest you read this book and see what it is like to work for the IRA and undercover with the Special Branch, to only then find out that once your use is done your very expendable, and its not only the IRA that wants him dead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent account of underhand treachery by the Crown, 6 Mar 2004
By A Customer
Given the appalling treatment Marin has received it is no wonder the book turned out like it did. The book describes the underhand and frankly disgusting way in which he has been deserted by the security services.
I personally found Dead Man Running frank, open and difficult to put down. Having explored every other opportunity to get justice perhaps this is the only way Martin is able to vent his obvious anger.
It makes you wonder how many of the reviews below are actually written to discredit the author even further. Martin take comfort in the fact that there are still some good people in the world who value the tremendous work you have done.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing follow up to excellent first effort, 8 Mar 2001
By A Customer
Hmmm, maybe I am a bit jaded these days with all the different titles covering aspects of the British/Irish struggle, however, I get the impression that MM wrote this book purely based on the success of his first. OK, so he has been having a bad time of it, but was there really enough basis for a book here? most of it was already said in his first book, and this is reflected in the number of recaps given throughout. I was expecting a really gritty book revealing a bit more about the involvement of MI5 in his kidnap and subsequent persecution , but all I got was speculation and guesswork rather than hard fact. All in all gross exploitation of a subject matter of which he should know better...

Dead Man Running: A True Story of a Secret Agent's Escape from the IRA and MI5