on 11 February 2011
In a nutshell, if you haven't read the authors previous title (50 dead men walking) you will thoroughly enjoy this book and for you it should be a four to five star rating. If however, like me, you have read the previous title then three stars is being generous. Interesting as the authors life is after leaving N.I it is obviously not enough to fill a book, hence huge sections of the first book re-told word for word in this sequel, which is very disappointing. I reviewed and 5 star rated the prequel to this book and would recommend anyone to read that as it's a stunning and impressionable read.......unfortunately this title leaves you a little bit like 'this one was for the money'. Shame.
on 2 June 2011
This follow-up to Fifty Dead Men Walking is slightly disappointing. He has become very paranoid, not about the IRA catching him, but that the British Government want rid of him. If you read about his time undercover in the IRA, you should read this book about his time on the run from them, but don't expect gripping stories in this one.
on 8 February 2013
A revealing account of how our security services abandoned one of our top agents within the IRA once he had outlived his usefulness. It seems that it would have been more convenient for them for him to have met the same fate as other agents before him - with a bullet in the head. He remains to them a thorn in the side as he continues his quest to expose the truth behind the apparent IRA assasination attempt. Did they view his ongoing surival merely as a cheap risk that had to be removed? Martin McGartland today still seeks to expose the secutiy services' lies and apparent conspiracy - aided and abetted by Northumbria Police. If and when he does expose the truth, and I sincerely hope he does - it will make a fascinating conclusion to what would be a trilogy of his life.
on 10 August 1999
If you read fifty dead men walking and liked it, you will LOVE this book. Within 2 days I had finished the book I could not put it down. It will open your eyes to the deciet and double crossing that seemingly takes place within our own government. This book explains some of the details from his previous book and often refers to it. I strongly suggest you read this book and see what it is like to work for the IRA and undercover with the Special Branch, to only then find out that once your use is done your very expendable, and its not only the IRA that wants him dead.
on 9 March 2010
I bought this as I'd enjoyed 50 dead men running so much.
This one was repetative to the point of iritation and drawn out longer than it needed. I couldn't keep the thread at times and easily got lost, which I don't usually. In the end I found myself skipping bits to get to where he'd been shot as I wanted to know how badly hurt he was and how he recovered, but this isn't really covered!
I don't doubt he's had a horrid time and been treat very badly, but this book wasn't worth reading. It was also a poor quality printed book and the cover looked odd and blurred.
I wouldn't bother if you're only getting this because you enjoyed the first one so much.
on 28 June 2010
I agree with one or two other reviewers that this is a pretty dull read in places. It continues the story from his earlier book, but came out before he was in fact shot and badly wounded in his Northumbrian exile.

I found it hard to come to any particular conclusion as to whether he was targeted for harassment by the local police and/or (but I doubt it, frankly) the Security Service. Why? What would be the reason?

I was amazed that he had the courage or recklessness to return to Belfast from the UK, knowing as he did that the IRA wanted to kill him. When he drove to West Belfast and stopped his car to talk to friends from before, I felt hands go clammy. What if the engine had seized at that moment? Maybe he is braver/more reckless than me...but he obviously lost the plot when he thinks that the IRA might get him on the ferry back to Scotland...with the number of SB and/or RUC and/or MI5 people on those ferries, that would be unlucky to say the least. In the end, he did get on and made the trip without incident.

The book is too repetitive, too slight overall, too dull overall.
on 7 September 2006
There were some really interesting stories in the book, but it was spoilt by the fact that Martin McGartland repeated things over and over again. This book could really have been 10 pages shorter. Not a book I would want to read twice. A poor follow up to the first book, Fifty Dead Men Walking.
on 12 February 2013
Easily the best ever book written about MI5 RUC IRA and N Ireland. This is a well written book, a page turner.
on 6 November 2014
Having read Fifty Dead Men Walking, Marty's 1st book, I was excited to read Dead Man Running and It did not disappoint, being from Northern Ireland I am facasnaited by The Troubles, having read every book there is on the subject and without a shadow of a doubt Dead Man Running and Fifty Dead Men Walking are my two favourites, so much so I have read both time and time again, finding them impossible to put down. Marty is a very brave and heroic man, risking his life to save many many innocent men, women and children including British Soliders and RUC officers, he is unfortunatly living his life in hiding now due to his heroic actions as the British government have failed to protect him from the ruthless IRA who is determined to kill him. I suggest to anyone who has read or is interested in The Troubles that they must give Dead Man Running and Fifty Dead Men Walking a read, you will not be disappointed.
on 27 December 2011
I have this on paperback but never read it. Since I recently purchased a Kindle, I thought I would make this my first reading on my new device. The story was very similar but very well interlinked with the first book and I am still 50% of my way through and enjoying so far. As this is the first book I have read on Kindle, maybe I am being a little hasty in speaking about the quality of the translation to Kindle, but for me, it was a major observation and important to any serious reader. There was seemingly a lack of proof reading before publishing this version to kindle. It is almost as if someone has audio-typed the transcript and made a host of typo-errors and joined wordstogether <- Like that - even very obvious spelling errors! Often this is confusing and when you are so used to reading from properly proof-read paperbacks, this is something of a nuisance. Did anyone else find this is the case and also, have I got this lack of care to look forward to on all future kindle releases? My rating has dropped a star (not the author's fault, I guess it is the fault of the person who translated to Kindle).