on 21 August 1999
Although Dougie Brimsons book are usually serious, this is not a mistake you should make here because this is a work of comic genius. The observational and self parodying nature of the book has captured perfectly what being a football fan is really all about. It is, quite simply, the funniest football book I have ever read.
on 24 January 1999
I have read and enjoyed all four of Dougie Brimson's previous books, and wasn't disappointed by this latest effort. As a fellow Watford fan, I was delighted by his constant abusive references to our "friends" up the road, and his disdain for armchair and new-breed supporters. The Geezers Guide contains many hilarious anecdotes, as well as carrying an important message about the commercialisation of English football. Dougie's four previous books have all centred around hooliganism, but although the Geezers Guide does touch on the issue, it's only in passing reference. I think this is an important diversifying move, which surely paves the way for Dougie to ghost-write Graham Taylor's autobiography.
So my recommendation: buy it! If you're a Watford fan, or indeed if you aspire to be a geezer, the Geezers Guide is a book you simply can't do without. If you're a L*t*n Town fan, well don't worry, I'm sure there are some other good books about. Dougie wouldn't want your dirty money anyway.
on 25 February 2000
A frighteningly accurate reflection of life as a football fan and absolutely hilarious to boot.
Should be complusive reading for all new-breed fans and geezer-birds!
on 1 May 2014
While the book was originally published in the late 1990's it hasn't really dated that much, the Geezer is still very much in evidence throughout our great country. I'd thoroughly recommend this book to any male who likes football, there are numerous laugh out loud moments. I believe professional footballers could do worse than have a look at this too, to really understand how following a club works. Download it to your Kindle, read it on holiday and have yourself many chuckles in the process.
on 4 January 2013
Read it with tongue in cheek, but found it reminded me of my past (white hart lane) in 1977-1983. Excellent.
on 25 April 2015
Not a good read, I have read a lot of dougies books and I'm normally impressed, not with this one.
on 6 October 2014
Great!
on 22 February 2013
dreary synopsis aimed at the wannabe fans that the author purports to abhor, 12 year olds will love it, serious students of the game wll find it excruciating in places
on 15 February 2013
In fact actually quite poor. I assume this was one of his earlier books as on the whole I find his musings quite enjoyable but this one is one to miss.
on 28 June 2015