Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 November 2009
After looking through the unusual and beautiful illustrations in this book, I was overwhelmed by the sense that I had been transported back to my own childhood. There are so many childrens stories around that shy away from the timeless appeal of mystery and imagination - this tale does not, and will reach out to many readers of many ages for all kinds of sentimental and sensual reasons and invoke hidden memories. The wide-eyed character drawings by Grahame Baker-Smith reflect the wide-eyed wonder felt whilst absorbing the everything of this wonderful book.
on 26 August 2010
This book is lovely. It has beautiful detailed illustrations, and both the 5 and 8 year old I read it to loved it and ask for it again and again.
A very special book.
on 4 November 2012
This is quite possibly the most beautiful book you will ever own. Slightly darker than the average children's fare. Graeme Baker-Smith's illustrations are exquisite. I use one as a screen-saver.
on 27 February 2011
Beautiful, magical illustrations. Beautiful, magical words. This book took my breath away the first time I read it to my children (5 and 7) and still does every time. They have done an amazing job of creating the sense of wonder that Leon himself feels when he goes into the tent at the fair and the magic show transports him, literally and figuratively. Stunning. My daughters loved it too but I could read it happily by myself it's that good.
on 10 March 2013
I have used this book already at work with people with complex learning disabilities. They love the large pictures and looking through the page with the cut out hole where Leon gets into the place inbetween. The large faces on some of the pages help them to focus more on the pages. They also love the idea of the magic in the Place Between and the idea that you must believe in the magic for it to work. I love the colourful pages and the way the text is placed on each page to emphasise the important parts. I look forward to using this book many more times. Book arrived in very good condition thank you.
on 20 May 2015
WE LOVE IT!!
We are a year 3 class and have read many stories. But this one, THIS is the best one yet!
This book is beautiful in every way! When we first saw the front cover we already thought it would be amazing.
As we read the story of Leon, the exquisite illustrations took our breath away. It was mind blowing!
Our teacher has been very happy with all the drama and writing we have done linked to this book!
on 2 May 2013
This book was recommended to me by a colleague for a teaching interview. The children enjoyed the tale immensely and I have used it on a number of occasions to inspire my class to write imaginative stories. It's the images which make the book, and transport the reader into the world of Leon. A must for those teaching lower Key stage 2.
on 13 May 2014
I used this book as the basis for a short topic in a year 4 class... long story short, the book was such an amazing stimulus (along with experiential learning that was planned) that the quality of creative and descriptive writing in my class has been skyrocketing ever since. Buy it, read it, enjoy it, teach it.
on 14 January 2016
Ordered this book for my class as part of our English topic. The story itself is just lovely and the illustrations are absolutely beautiful. Would really recommend this book for children (and adults!)
on 7 March 2015
This story is Amazing, the illustration in the book looks brilliant and really captured my son's attention. This book is well written and I have no problem recommending it or the seller.