5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful launching point ..., 29 July 2009
Jane White "janewhite11" (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storyworld (Hardcover)
I bought this book on a whim when I saw it in my local bookshop today. I've been reading, selecting and buying books for individuals all my life, and have a pretty good eye for them, and this one appealed to me for my 12 year old daughter, who has something right up at the high functioning end of the autistic spectrum. She's not been the easiest child lately, thinks the world (well, particularly her class) is against her, and is a little tricky to get through to, but this caught her imagination straightaway. She asked if she could have a look at it, then asked if she could be left alone with it, and then produced the beginnings of a story, together with the 'blurb' (her words) for the back of the book she had decided to write!

Makes it so easy to set a child off on a journey of their own, and I'm looking forward to seeing the new packs, and how my youngest daughter reacts to it as well.

And we'll definitely be taking it to school next term to show the English teachers!

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this is a wonderful concept and I like it very much, 23 July 2009
This review is from: Storyworld (Hardcover)
I pre-ordered this having seen it advertised on Amazon when I was looking at some of John Matthews books on Celtic Mythology and it arrived about a week ago.

The book and cards are housed in a box which itself is a bit like a book in that you open it out and the actual book is on the left side and the cards on the right. When you close it, two magnets (unseen) hold each side together. The book is hardback, well written and the short descriptions on the cards are helpful.

The cards themselves steal the show as the artwork, done by four different artists, is stunning - really stunning.

I know this is aimed at children and the intention is to 'unlock one's imagination' through the art of storytelling but I think this has a great appeal across all ages because it brings out the storyteller in all of us.

For myself, I bought this partly out of curiosity and partly to see if it could help my creative/imaginative juices flow particularly when writer's block sets in. Three days ago I selected a group of cards and after a few minutes had a plot and story developing.

I've also enlarged some of the cards on the printer (the quality of the artwork is was not compromised) and then laminated them because the artwork is so beautiful (sorry repeating myself).

I understand 4 more sets are in the pipeline: Faery World, Quests & Adventures, Animal World and Sea Adventures.

I'm very happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlocks your imagination., 25 July 2009
This review is from: Storyworld (Hardcover)
I saw this product advertised in a book magazine and out of curiosity I also pre-ordered it, and I wasn't disappointed, as a teacher, who is also interested in creative writing I found the cards and the book amazing. The artwork is so detailed but at the same time they give you so much scope to create your own stories and ideas. I am looking forward to showing them to my class in September and can't wait to get the other cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight to open and repeatedly requested by our children., 28 Dec 2010
This review is from: Storyworld (Hardcover)
I have to be honest about the cover on this - the Amazon picture on the left really doesn't do it justice at all. The colour of the hard backed cover of the case is an antique yellow, with very intricate and eye catching illustrations on both sides, and mini illustrations of a couple of the storytelling cards on the middle of the cover. This review is for the starter storytelling pack. Additional Storyworld cards are available, (reviews to follow on a couple).

This was a pure delight to open. Both of the Young Reviewers were in awe from the moment they opened the package, which is always a fantastic start! The top opens like a book; the first half contains a book within it's dvd type cardboard holder, whilst the bottom half contains the 40 gorgeous Storyworld cards. This is a total work of art from start to finish, and is exceptionally well presented.

The idea behind this is so simple, and very worthwhile. Beautifully illustrated cards are used as prompts to aid in storytelling. The included storytelling book details how the 40 cards could be used, along with more in depth ideas for each of them. On the reverse of each card is a brief description, along with three questions to help storytellers to use them as an aid in their stories. Each card is stunning. That's the only word that describes them for me.

The cards have enough detail to help even the most shyest storyteller want to have a go. I can say this confidently as a parent. Our youngest reviewer who's 4, loves stories. He loves listening to them and preempting what is coming - as long as he knows the story. Since these arrived, every night he's not just wanted stories. He's wanted to *make* stories and rushes upstairs in anticipation of it! I love it. Whilst I'm not suggesting all children will behave in this way, Storyworld is becoming a fantastic part of our evening, and has brought everything from fairies to knights and rainbows into our childrens imagination and storytelling. It's giving them the confidence to think about how a story is made up, to learn from each other, and to share, whilst encouraging them to expand on their skills.

I haven't used the book that came with the cards much at the moment, I didn't want to be too rigid. It's worked well so far and the cards are so detailed we've all found a new story to tell (and yes, us adults take part too each evening). For usability these are great. As a parent I always look for value for money in things we use regularly...this has by far exceeded my expectations, and there's a lot more stories to come yet!

In summary, this is truly stunning, with beautiful illustrations on each and every of the 40 tell your own story cards, presented in a book presentation format and ready to use, alongside a storytelling book. Storyworld provides the inspiration. The only thing needed is a tiny bit of imagination and you're away.

A few words from Harry, 4:
I like all of it!

A few words from Shaun, 8:
Very, very, very good. I like being able to make up my own stories using the cards.

Disclaimer: We were provided with a review copy in exchange for our honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tell me more!, 28 Oct 2009
This review is from: Storyworld (Hardcover)
Delightfully complex illustrations, each of which has an individual story to tell - but the story will be constantly changing. All the wonders of an infinite number of inner worlds.

5.0 out of 5 stars storyworld, 30 Oct 2009
This review is from: Storyworld (Hardcover)
i bought the story world for my children and they absolutely love it. they have lots of fun with the stories and improves their imagination. i would very much recommend it. fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Storyworld, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Storyworld (Hardcover)
This is a must if you have children an absolute joy. My grandchildren loved it and made lots of stories and paintings using the cards. Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Storyworld (Hardcover)
what a great idea my kids love this series and so do I. They came quickly and i had no problems

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful., 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Storyworld (Hardcover)
Wow. This set is beautiful. I am looking forward to sitting around the campfire with my wife and boy, with this our evening entertainment. Storytelling is timeless, and remains as important today as when our ancestors used to sit around the campfire and do the same. If I had one criticism it would be that the solitary picture of the box on Amazon does it no justice whatsoever!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great value starter set to get into developing story telling skills, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Storyworld (Hardcover)
Beautifully illustrated, well packaged, well printed and good value. This is packaged as a starter set with a more comprehensive 76 page hardback book, rather than the additional add on packs which include a simpler to guide. the book explains how to use the cards and develop story telling skills - both for adults and children. This represents particularly good value as it appears to be a slightly earlier version, in different packaging, of a very similar set also listed by Amazon and a couple of pounds cheaper.

Storyworld
Storyworld by John & Caitlin Matthews (Hardcover - 1 July 2009)