Format: Hardcover|Change

on 2 December 2010
My nine-year-old daughter is in the scouts and wanted to read this. We both chose this version on the strength of the illustrations we saw in the Look Inside feature, and we weren't disappointed. It's a weighty book and a challenging read for a nine-year-old, but its size and weight together with the quality of the illustrations have led her to say 'This is my treasure'. It's clearly very special to her. She loves curling up with it on the sofa, reads it whenever she can and loves talking about it. Definitely a good choice.
on 18 June 2011
Lovely book, fabulously illustrated. A real special book and one to keep on the bookshelf, would recommend for any child's library and would (and have) purchased other stories in the same format.
on 7 January 2012
I enjoyed this as an adult far more than I did as a child. When young, I expected the whole book to be about Mowgli. As an adult, I remembered that it was a collection of many things and thus wasn't disappointed. In fact, some of my favourites were not Mowgli stories. I particularly liked the story of the white seal.

Kipling has a real gift with words (reminds me a little of Ursula le Guin) and some of his tales read like myth.

I also appreciate the poems a lot more now. Kipling has a wonderful sense of rhythm, which I totally failed to appreciate when younger, but now really love.

A small bonus for me was realising that the poem with 'Her Majesty's Servants' was set to the rhythm of several songs that I knew. When he talks of the cavalry cantering to 'Bonnie Dundee', the metre is that of 'Bonnie Dundee'. He also works 'British Grenadiers' and 'Lincolnshire Poacher' into the same poem.
on 27 June 2013
I have two grandchildren and they are very much of the moment in their tastes in everything. Still I purchased this copy of the Jungle Book as it is such a classic and they love the film.
The book arrived promptly and as stated had a small amount of damage to the cover, which was from a sticker being removed.
I was so pleased with the book, as the illustrations are just brilliant and so I am really looking forward to sharing it with them.
on 7 August 2010
This is a lovely book which has been enhanced by the beautiful illustrations of Mr ingpen.
The children and parents I have given books from this series are impressed by the lovely illustrations of books they know well.
on 15 May 2016
Beautifully illustrated. I have the whole collection of books illustrated by R. Ingpen and I just LOVE them. It is my greatest pleasure to read them to my kids and I am enjoying them over and over again thanks to the beautiful editions. I do own many different editions of all the classic stories but this one is the best. I hope to read it to my grandchildren in the future.
on 29 December 2013
This book is beautifully illustrated and would be ideal for a nine plus age child due to the size of the text and general layout of the book.
on 6 January 2012
Great book and well illustrated. Let's hope young Jemima really enjoys the stories as she gets older!Arrived quickly, thank you
on 23 March 2014
This is a Fantastic book. The classics are the best. Arrived in time for a Christening present. Would recommend to a friend.
on 12 March 2011
A really beautiful edition with fantastic illustrations by Robert Ingpen. A book I have bought as a gift and will struggle to give away! It will go to a very very good home. It is so good to know there are books this appealing out there!