5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon's Eye
I did think at first I was ordering a book but when I realised it was an audio tape I was quite happy though I'd still like the book as well . It arrived promptly and in good condition and was very good value
Published on 7 Aug 2009 by Mrs. Anne B. Clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical Reviews - The Dragon's Eyes by Dugald Steer
Published on 7 Dec 2011 by purpledoor64

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon's Eye, 7 Aug 2009
Mrs. Anne B. Clarke (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dragon's Eye (Audio CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and fun, 5 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology) (Hardcover)
I am a bit biased I suppose... I have been a big fan of Dragonology and everything that has to do with dragons for years and years, so when the first story of Dr. Drake came out I was ready to gobble it up. It is written for the younger audience, and the story could have more depth and a bit more of an exciting storyline. But all in all it is fun to read and has loads of cool dragonology facts. Not tomention the absolutely stunning illustrations and look of the book in general.

Not the best story I ever read, but never the less worth a look. Young boys will love it for sure!

Age 8 - 12

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology) (Hardcover)
My Grand daughter loved her present and read it in a few days-she says it was a great read. It came promptly and well packed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 July 2012
My nine year old son loves this book and has now asked me if there are any others in the series - anything that gets boys reading must be good!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical Reviews - The Dragon's Eyes by Dugald Steer, 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology) (Hardcover)
I love the Ology World books, especially Dragonology, and I think it's even better when you're a big kid who has had to accept that dragons don't exist. Dragonology takes the subject of dragons utterly seriously, detailing different species, behaviour and tips on how to track and train them. The Dragon's Eye is the first in a spin off series of YA fiction novels and ever since I read Dragonology I have been a little bit intrigued about what these books have to offer.

Well, quite a bit actually. I think the real strength in The Dragon's Eye is the fact that it's based on a pseudo-factual book, Dragonology. There's a great sense that the book is based on real life events involving real creatures because there's a boxful of literature that says so. The fantastical becomes the actual. It pulls on all the information you can find in the Dragonology books and gives it a storyline, and if you're lucky enough to have the Ology books, you find yourself using them as some kind of reference guide despite the fact that you know it's all made up. If you haven't read Dragonology then fear not because The Dragon's Eye is not dependent on it, you can still easily understand and enjoy the story as everything is explained. In fact, if you don't know anything about dragons you're in for a deep end learning experience as the lead characters don't know anything to begin with either but end up experts.

The language has a wonderful Victorian quaintness about it, giving it an authenticity of the period and adding to the realism. Mixing this with the fantastical element of dragons makes for a great adventure story. I think my only real niggle is that it can be a bit too quaint at times. The lead characters are 12 and 13 so you imagine this is roughly the target reader age and it feels a little like the author is a bit out of touch with what 12 and 13 year olds are reading these days. It just lacks a bit of guts, you never feel like the heroes are in any genuine danger, the kind where the way out is not clear and there's no one to rescue them. I found it a bit patronising at times and I'm sure modern young teens would feel the same - they can handle a lot more emotional depth in a story than this book allows.

Having said that, I still really enjoyed The Dragon's Eye. Sometimes you just want a happy, heart-warming story where the good guys are guaranteed to win and that is certainly what is on offer here. There are also some incredible pencil drawings dotted around the book which add a great dimension and a visual treat. There should be more illustrations in books I say! Overall, this is a good story, harmless fun that's toasty warm and that's not just because there's a lot of fire-breathing going on.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 20 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology) (Hardcover)
I thought this book was really good did not think at 1st i would like it but now i am waiting for the next one to come out and carry on the adventure cant wait for dragon diary. worth reading it is full of adventure, great fun to read too

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 6 Feb 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology) (Hardcover)
As I read THE DRAGON'S EYE, I kept getting a feeling of deja vu. It took a while to figure out why, but then it came to me. THE DRAGON'S EYE reminded me a little of the SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS books. There was that familiar emphasis on conducting research, and recording findings in little notebooks, and solving problems. Only instead of three orphans dodging Count Olaf, THE DRAGON'S EYE focuses on a brother and sister trying to escape the evil designs of the inferior dragonologist, Ignatius Crook. Unfortunately, this one didn't have the same humor in it that I enjoyed so much in the SOUE books.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about THE DRAGON'S EYE. In the plus column, the novel was heavy on dragons of various types. They all have names and unique personalities. Also, it had an element of boy versus girl competition that seemed to resolve itself reasonably well.

On the other hand, the frequent references to dragon diaries and research methods disrupted the action. Doubtless that was the point -- to identify the importance of learning about a subject before jumping into it and conducting a poor study. But still, the execution was a little heavy-handed for my taste.

For young dragon lovers, this would probably be a popular title. I emphasize the word "young." THE DRAGON'S EYE seems geared to a younger audience than many of the books reviewed here at TeensReadToo. My 14-year-old son read it, too, and he was disappointed because it definitely felt "too young" for him. But for budding fantasy lovers who can't get enough dragons, this one has the potential to be a winner.

Reviewed by: K. Osborn Sullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dragon's Eye: Review, 16 Sep 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology) (Hardcover)
This book is such a page turner!!!!!!!!!!!! I managed to read it in about 3 - 4 days flat! Although, it is similerish to the second book in the sequence The Dragon Diary, which i read first. It's a really easy read for anyone, any age and I can't wait for the 3rd one in the sequence The Dragon's Apprentice!

Advice for purchacer:
Read other reviews... And i recomend hardbacks!

I can't stop reading!

3.0 out of 5 stars well......., 16 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology) (Hardcover)
Well if you like the first harry potter then you will find this average. Its written in a similer style but its written for kids. I wouldn't recommend it to any one over ten

ARRAY(0xab283738)

The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology)
The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology) by Dugald Steer (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01