5.0 out of 5 stars TIKI,FLAMENCO,PINK,KITSCH,HEAVEN., 3 Nov 2003
Miss Jones "anniefudge" (derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kitsch Deluxe (Hardcover)
If like me you worship at the gates of JH Lynch,twirl in awe at souvenir spanish dancers and bathe in the glittery shiny camp pink kitschness of life then this is the book for you.
I have always felt alone in my love of the gawdy,cheap and nasty,anything from holiday mementos,religious statues(and this is especially hard for a Pagan)and the mass print masterpieces of the 1960's ,sometimes I felt as though I had some embarassing illness an affliction that left me on the outside of normality,however I discovered this book and found out that yay I was normal and my obsession was shared by people who devote their whole lives and homes to the pursute of KITSCH,my illness is only mild by comparison.
Seriously though this book has wonderful pictures is well written and is a little ray of sunshine on a dark and gloomy day.
There is a brief history of kitsch, a superb and comprehensive section on the icons of kitsch that I and many others can't live without and tours around the homes of dedicated kitsch-o-philes.
Read this book and I guarantee you will be out trawling charity shops,bric-a-brac stalls and auctions for a taste of the good life.
My only grumble with the book is the directory of shops etc.at the back,virtually all shops are London based and a lot of the online shops are American sites.This of course is not the fault of the author, but us Northern lasses like to shop too,fortunately I have my own suppliers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a friend, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Kitsch Deluxe (Hardcover)
She's delighted with this book although the subject is one that is anathema to me! She read it from start to finish as soon as it arrived and says it cheers her up.

Kitsch Deluxe
Kitsch Deluxe by Lesley Gillilan (Hardcover - 18 Sep 2003)
Used & New from: 7.99