Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 January 2014
I bought this book as presents for my dad and uncle, 70-85 years old, who both loved it, my uncle reads a lot of WW1 and WW2 related stuff, so I was worried the large text and on first glance simple read would not be up to snuff as they say, but he thoroughly enjoyed it, and my dad who rarely reads books, had seen it reviewed and thought he might like it, and did, so all in all recommended!
on 28 January 2014
I am in no doubt that there are many stories not unlike this touching account that will remain untold, what a very great shame because they should be to remind us that at the centre of who we are is something very, very special and the younger generation might learn from and that they, if nothing else, should be proud to be British.
on 1 November 2015
Have just finished this wonderful book. Thank you Peter Stokes for telling your Fathers remarkable story. It is an honest and compelling account of the often forgotten heroics of ordinary people during the war, which should never be forgotten. I shall think of him and 12 Commando especially this coming Remembrance Sunday.
on 22 February 2014
This is a very moving book. It goes a long way to explain why our fathers did not talk about their war experiences. Their life was so different that peace time wasa different world. it also reminds us that many older people my look like little old men and women but nay are actually heroes and heroines.
on 16 January 2015
This is a good book. Even though it's quite short ,it tells the incredible story of a very brave and humble man in his own word and his sons. Well worth a read. Inspiring and moving. We owe men like these an awful lot. Buy it read ,if your interested in the subject matter, you'll love it. I did.
on 15 December 2013
I heard about Mr Stokes many years ago, he was one of the virtually unheard of and un- decorated heroes of Second world war special forces and led a truly remarkable life. He walked over that last mountain at the end of a truly amazing life, it was a privilege to read his story.
on 6 January 2014
A good story of just one man of many in WW2. Very interesting and illuminating, at some points it tends to drag a little,but this does not prevent it being recommended reading for anyone interested in the experiences of a 'squaddie' during that conflict.
on 29 December 2013
The quality of service from Amazon has yet again proved second to none!!! The book is a great read and an inspiration...........if only the modern generation were born with a will and desire to adapt and overcome the situations this generation were?!?!
on 19 January 2014
A very short account of a very courageous man's life. I know these things are difficult to produce so late after the war by offspring unable to extract painful memories from their parents. Perhaps there may be more to come from this author I hope so.
on 29 November 2013
A wonderful book of a man I admired greatly. And after all these years I now realise why some of the things he said and did would shape my outlook on how to overcome challenges that life will always throw at you. An amazing man even in ordinary life.