Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 October 2013
Moving in its simplicity, the journals of a young man of a different generation, I was engrossed from the first page to the last. How different the emphasis from today's cult of personality, the sheer bare faced effrontery of riding his bike to Rome beggars belief. The style is spartan but an easier read for it and the story line rockets along, punctuated by deep insightful comments on his feelings and motivation. Our country produced these men who 's sense of responsibility, duty and conviction is beyond our ken today. For all SAS devotees, this is a must read, for all historians it's a searing insight into the SPF of WW2, warts and all and for all us story seekers, a hidden gem
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 October 2013
Do not expect Andy McNab's characters to leap from this. No disrespect to that now-famous successful ex-SAS author, but these are the real words from the journal of an ordinary bloke, in a war that required even ordinary people to become extraordinary. It is told simply, with few embellishments, by the author of the journal, topped and tailed by his son, the author of this book. These are the words of a generation who are now almost all gone and it is the very ordinariness of the words that makes it so real and the story so strong. Kept hidden since the war, passed onto his son and only published now, this is a little gem. Ordinary words by an ordinary bloke turned extraordinary. No ordinary book indeed.
on 23 October 2013
An excellent read. The book tells in simple empathetic prose the story of one young mans life altering experiences of the second world war.
on 1 December 2013
I guess it's impossible to verify every detail of this soldiers diary due to the obviously secretive nature of the subject matter. Personally, i believed it all. A beautifully simple, working mans narrative of WWII which i found absolutely fascinating, touching, funny and inspiring in so many ways. No big parades, no medals, just a desire to do his bit. Thank you Stokey, we all owe you one.
on 25 November 2013
I have just finished reading this book in one sitting - be warned, once you pick it up you won't put it down until you've finished reading, probably with tears in your eyes. I won't demean the book by offering any analysis - just buy it, read it and recommend it to all your friends.
on 2 December 2013
My husband has just finished reading this and has lent it to our son who is away on a course at the moment.
He (my husband) hated putting it down and finished very quickly. He thought that it portrayed aspects of WW2 that had not been heard before as it was written by an ordinary person rather than the usual officer books.
on 20 August 2014
Read by both myself and my partner. Great insight into this brave, inspiring gentleman's life. Such a privilege to look inside his life and thoughts. Greatest respect to him and thanks to his family for sharing this story.
on 17 January 2014
What a story, what a life. I have read lots of SAS type books and one thing they all have in common is the ability to play down hardship, hunger and torturous outings. Well the true story of Mr Stokes war has this in spades, he understates some of the most arduous outings any man could under take. I read this 150 page book in two days and loved it. England produces some fine, strong individuals and Mr Stokes is among the best of them. Loved this book.
on 23 January 2014
I bought this book as presents for my dad and uncle, 70-85 years old, who both loved it, my uncle reads a lot of WW1 and WW2 related stuff, so I was worried the large text and on first glance simple read would not be up to snuff as they say, but he thoroughly enjoyed it, and my dad who rarely reads books, had seen it reviewed and thought he might like it, and did, so all in all recommended!
on 2 April 2014
This is a story of an extraordinary period in the life of a seemingly otherwise ordinary mans life. Having read the book I find it difficult to believe that if you were to have met Mr Stokes you would not have found something in him that would have made you think that he was a bit special. As for the story itself It left me wanting more. It also reminded me of the great debt we owe to Mr Stokes and his generation of ordinary men and women that did extraordinary things.