Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 February 2014
This is the best one yet. All the humour, tragedy, and roller coaster of a storyline that the first two books were bursting with, but with a depth of characterisation and sophistication of plot and subplots which mark the authors increasing confidence in her own abilities. Finished in less than a day, head spinning with how the story continued. Simply excellent.
on 7 August 2014
Like the previous books this third instalment still has issues with structure and pacing and feels like two or three books squished together. That said, I do feel the the writing has improved a great deal and Taylor seems to have found her voice finally. As well as being an engaging work of fiction, there is clearly a great deal of exceptional historical research taken place and her attention to detail is excellent.
This instalment sees us follow Max and her team to the city of Troy and engage in an exciting mission to separate the truth from the myths. As always she is confronted with tough decisions and heart-ache as she crashes through the centuries.
There are still odd times that some of the events feel forced and perhaps clumsy.
Overall, a great read that is difficult to put down despite some slight annoyances.
on 17 May 2015
The third in the Chronicles of St Mary's series gets even darker. Whilst these books are mostly light and witty and exciting, people do die and often not in a nice way.

This time, the team visits Troy to see if the wooden horse story is true. They have to hang around and live there for a while. This is no Star Trek, though. They don't have communicators and universal translators, so they have to keep mostly to themselves.

I really enjoy this series of books. I think the concept is a great one and the execution very enjoyable. So what if there are a few deus ex machinas along the way?
on 14 February 2014
Bought downloaded and read all in a day... I laughed and cried and as usual marvelled at the story that keeps you hooked. This chronicle for me was more dark than it's predecessors but not the worse for it... I had a sinking feeling that this was the end of the road for Max's story and even with it's twists and turns felt it had reached a gentle though deserved conclusion...and then we're off again!! Waiting impatiently for the next instalment. Another job well done!!
on 9 May 2014
This, and the 2 1/2 books before, are filed in my Kindle under "Little Gems". I first discovered them last year and absolutely adored them.
You need to read "Just one damned thing after another" first, and they need to be read in order.
This is the 3rd Novel in the Chronicles of St Mary's series (there is also a novella that I haven't included). These books details the adventures and misadventures of the team at St Mary's, a fringe organisation of academic and technicians who document history in real time (they travel in time to witness history first hand!).
This book is in the same vein as all the others, historical research, cock-ups, catastrophes and lots of cups of tea!
The tone of this book is darker than the previous two, it isn't as heavily plotted as book two, the themes are not as lighthearted as book one but that's not to say it doesn't have it's comic moments. Blue body paint anyone?
The attention to historical detail in all of these books is brilliant and gives you a sense of being witness as well as our motley crew. Jodi Taylor is a brilliant writer who gives you enough historical information without the book becoming a text book. All the characters are fantastic, they are all brilliant and yet ultimately flawed. I spent a large part of this book despairing at the direction some of the relationships took.
As an avid reader, not a lot shocks me. This book left me speechless. It is the sign of a excellent writer to take the character in directions we didn't expect. I laughed, I cried and I was left with the need to read the next installment. Jodi Taylor, i salute you as a true hidden gem, I hope you get the recognition you deserve. Thank you for writing strong female characters, male characters that are not just comedic foils and thank you for "chief" who I have a little crush on!
Curl up, read and enjoy.
VINE VOICEon 14 May 2014
This series of books just gets better with each one. I thoroughly enjoyed this, although it did go a bit crazy at the end and I'm not sure how I feel about that - without giving anything away, it looked like the series was coming to a close, but now I'm not so sure.

Having enjoyed reading these books, and not really wanting to stop, I think I would welcome more in the series. It'd be interesting to see how the characters we've got to know are different after "the change" - for example, if we've all grown to hate "Bitchface Barclay", only for her to actually be nice. Things could get weird here.

However, I'd recommend this one - and the whole series - regardless of however many more there are.
on 14 March 2014
I downloaded the first one for free. After all, how wrong can you go with a title like 'One damn thing after another?' and was hooked straight away. This is the rare thing: a series that doesn't loose pace and appeal, but gets stronger and its characters more compelling along the way. Simply love the bit about Troy and the infamous 'horse'. More please.
on 20 March 2016
I'm not sure what I think of this series. On the one hand I find myself compelled to finish each book. They rocket along at a pace. I also think each one is better than the last. Towards the end this novel takes a surreal turn, and the style becomes something different, something that looks promising for the next books, but is also a bit random.

On the other hand I find them frustrating. First person narration is often annoying at the best of times, and I find this character very irritating. She seems unable to communicate with people. I know there's dramatic license, but there's too much not saying the obvious thing here, which might heighten the drama, but also feels incredibly unrealistic. If you feel angry with someone, or don't agree with them it's really quite normal to at least say why. There's also a lack of characterisation. The men in particular are very one dimensional.

I keep hoping it's just an unreliable narrator, which would make it interesting, but actually think it's probably just the way these books are.

I'm also very uncomfortable at some scenes which suggest violence is OK, especially between couples. Men hitting women should never be normalised or justified, and it is in some of the scenes in this story.

But I have had to give four stars purely because I am hooked for now, the frustrations I have might well mean I don't get through all of them, but for now I'm planning to.
on 19 July 2016
This book felt very short with not very many jumps between different times. This did give space for some development of the characters and their relationships.

Max, the central character appears to be older in this book but I'm not sure how much older. In my head she's probably in her mid to late twenties in the first book. In her thirties in the second but somehow here, in spite of rolling on from the last book, she seems to have made it to her mid to late forties where she's been around the block enough to be feeling her age physically. As complaints go, that's fairly inconsequential but it does make me wonder whether we've missed a few adventures along the way.

Another cliff hanger ending guarantees I'll be buying the next instalment before long. If only other books could be as good.
on 26 March 2014
Another good read. The story continues to keep you wanting more right until the last page. Can't wait for the next one!
There are a few surprises in this adventure, but I won't say what, because it might spoil the story for the reader.