• Fred

Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 June 2000
A quaint story about two children grieving for their cat. They hear the mewing of cats in the garden of their house to find that they are mourning the passing of the children's cat. Fred had a secret life other than the one the children saw: he was a pop singer. Fred's secret life was well known amongst the neighbourhood pets. The children join the cats in their wake for Fred. I'm not sure whether this is a book for children or adults, but I think that you will enjoy it.
on 22 June 2008
I read this book over ten years ago, and the memories of it have remained fresh ever since. Only this afternoon, my friend and I were reminising about reading it in our local library and simultaneously broke into song to sing the funeral song...."Meaow meaow, meoooo, oh waily waily woooo...."
I recommend this to anyone with children, or anyone who has cats, or basically just anyone. Just read and enjoy!
on 1 December 2010
this is a brilliant book set out in a comic strip syle. perfect for children who can read on thier own esspecially if you have recenlty lost a pet, tells a sweet story about a cat who died and the children find out he is a rockstar in the cat community and cats turn up from miles around in the middle of the night to give him a funeral... lovely
on 23 October 2008
My son is nearly eight and has just discovered this book in the. Its a great book for gently introducing a child to the fact that their pets will pass away, but that there's nothing wrong in celebrating all that they were in life as well as mourning their death.
on 24 April 2014
Very good for children who have lost a pet or even a friend / relative recently (sadly we lost both within two weeks of each other). Our 6 year old and 3 year old loved it. Helped them understand about funerals and grieving. They were a bit disappointed we hadn't had a bigger funeral for the cat though.
on 16 December 2014
Beautifully illustrated heart warming story, which is nice to read with young children when a much-loved family pet dies.
on 31 August 2015
This is the perfect book in itself but particularly if you child has lost a pet.
on 24 January 2016
I love this book! Recently turned into an animation too. Very entertaining. Tackles the tough subject in a digestible manner.
on 28 May 2016
Great read
on 8 February 2015
I was disappointed by this book ...