5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Insightful, Unputdownable!
I really enjoyed the first book from The Secret Footballer. It gave us football fans a real insight into the world that most of us wish we were gifted enough, as footballers, to be a part of.

Published 14 months ago by Ben

3.0 out of 5 stars Run its course
Published 11 months ago by The Sports Book Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Run its course, 11 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Tales from the Secret Footballer (Paperback)
In the second instalment of the Secret Footballer’s dabble with books, it’s hard to imagine what more could be presented that hadn’t already been done. And while there are some interesting tales, but not enough to fully satisfy. The concept naturally prevents too many specifics, but there is still to opportunity to keep guessing as to who he is, and who he refers to. But he increasingly comes across as a bit of a pain in the you know what.

It’s hard to feel any sympathy at times with the financial complications he found himself in with a particular club. The circumstances scream “Portsmouth” to me, but I could be wrong. However, the author details how the missed pay packets put his home at risk, and that is naturally a real concern. What never seems to have occurred to him though is that perhaps he could have moved to a property that didn’t require a £16,000 a month mortgage.

A chapter devoted to his youthful drug taking seems at odds with the whole concept. What we’re after is anecdotes from behind the scenes at football clubs rather than his teenage drugs dabbling. He does at least move on to discuss drugs in football, but the numerous pages of laboured introduction to the subject seem unnecessary.

The kind of anecdote that we do want is given a marvellous example in the story of going to see Tottenham play in Milan with his father. It’s both insightful and funny; the hallmark of what we expect from the Secret Footballer, but sadly there just aren’t enough examples like this to make the book worthwhile.

The second half of the book brings more insight as he looks at various after football career possibilities. The stories are told with long quotes from others, or with lengthy conversations rather than his own insight, but it does at least give us some information we wouldn’t necessarily have known anyway. There’s a section devoted to the UEFA coaching courses and the requirements they entail. He goes into a fair amount of detail about the course which is suitably interesting.

He also then goes through potential foreign transfer destinations and assesses them be revealing conversations he’s had with those who have experienced those places already. The most revealing is the discussion about playing for an Old Firm team and the constant pressure and hounding that brings – far from the easy life one might sometimes imagine.

There are interesting tales here, but they aren’t in sufficient numbers to satisfy sadly. Overall the book doesn’t flow satisfactorily with many sections seemingly having no link to those that came before as though it’s a cobbled together collection of the best (or the remaining best after the first book) anecdotes from the newspaper column. The second half does link better, presumably after a stern half-time ticking off, with the ongoing career options which are well told and work much better. But overall I was left rather underwhelmed by this second instalment, and feel that in book form anyway the Secret Footballer has run its course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Insightful, Unputdownable!, 12 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Tales from the Secret Footballer (Paperback)

I don't care who The Secret Footballer is. I kind of like the fact that we don't know his identity. It makes it more believable, more honest, more real. Of course there has been many names banded about, all 'it could be him', I just think that adds to the mystery.

So when I saw there was a new book and didn't even hesitate and purchased it straight away. And I'm glad I did. This book offers more insightful stories and paints a picture of the modern day footballer, what goes on behind the scenes, the stuff we all wish we could be flies on the wall for. It tells of tactics, stories from the pre season tours and changing rooms, about the mindset of a professional sportsman. It really is unputdownable and I read it cover to cover in a few days.

For me, I enjoyed Tales From The Secret Footballer even more than the first. It seems to have managed to get the reader even closer to the action which is all I could've hoped for from a follow up and more.

I sincerely hope there will be more books in this series. Whoever it is, he's tapped into an area that all us football fans want - to know what REALLY goes on after they've re-crossed that white line to go back to the changing room and behind the scenes.

Truly gripping. More please.

3.0 out of 5 stars O.k. but disappointing compared to the first book, 11 July 2014
I followed the original articles in the Guardian and was capitivated, trying to identify clues as to who the secret footballer was, was intriguing. I found the articles illuminating and original and very different from the sort of bland analysis of football that one gets on tv and in the press. When the articles were published as a book, I very much enjoyed it as well. The Tales from the Secret Footballer I didn't like so much. It was as if the success of the first book had gone to his head and I am not so interested in his tales of footballer lavish lifestyle excess which appear in this follow-up. And then I heard the rumours about who the secret footballer really was and was very disappointed. He always gave the impression in the articles and books that he was a good player and now I find out he isn't........

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 12 Feb. 2014
Really interesting book and great to get a different take on the footballing world. Well written and definitely keeps the pages turning

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 Jan. 2014
Poor boring repatative content, quite boring. Having read the first book I was quite looking forward to this book. It just did not hit the heights of the first one

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Feb. 2014
Excellent alternative insight into the world of football. Keeps you guessing all the way though on who it is !

5.0 out of 5 stars A side of professional football the public rarely hears about, 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Tales from the Secret Footballer (Paperback)
A very revealing insight into the world of top class professional football. Only shows that there are always many facets in any endeavor or issue. While the Secret Footballer provides a number of entertaining anecdotes to aspects of a professional footballer's life that conforms and validates our common views and perceptions of these individuals, he also provides a side of professional football the public rarely hears about. It's difficult to imagine how people who have successfully reached the pinnacle of their professional career still struggle with depression, the success and adulation, and the prospects of facing life after their playing career is over.

3.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves, 3 Jan. 2015
I enjoyed the first half of it, the remainder was a bit of a struggle as it's just a series of chapters such as "could I be an agent", "could I be a manager", "could I work in Costa" etc...none of which I found particularly interesting but maybe that's just me.

If TSF is indeed Dave Kitson as has been suggested, these chapters seem a bit nonsensical as it suggests he could be a Director of Football at a high level yet in the real world he is assistant manager for some pub team!

1.0 out of 5 stars "Would I lie to you"?, 23 Sept. 2014
The first book was interesting and raised a few talking points about the game. This offering seems to offer plenty of evidence that the TSF concept is a spoof written by a creative journalist. No doubt he has football contacts feeding him anecdotes which he is likely to have embellished for fun.Posturing as a pseudo intellectual with an interest in quantum theory whilst appearing to be hooked on Google points to the writing as a parody. There are many other clues which with a bit of analysis point to jokes for his and the readers's amusement. A couple of them are way over the top anecdotes about a boat, and "jamheads". I will not elaborate and spoil the fun if you buy into this sort of thing but suffice to say that the latter relates to a practice that took place in the 1800's. Moreover, I very much doubt that the football "character" in the book, claiming to be looking for new opportunities at the end of his declining career, would be considered as a serious proposition by any future employer or business partner. The secret footballer, on this evidence, comes over as a bit of a dreamer with delusional tendencies,and whilst there will be many footballers who fit the description of an "up his own backside Del Boy" I will stick with the spoof journo hypothesis.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than the 1st one, 10 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Tales from the Secret Footballer (Paperback)
Bought as a gift been told it is better than the 1st one. Was read in 3 days! Must read brilliant.

Tales from the Secret Footballer
Tales from the Secret Footballer by Anon (Paperback - 7 Nov. 2013)