Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 March 2014
I loved this book from the first moment I started to read it. It is a great story of love, betrayal and forgiveness, all acted out in the context of the Greek military junta of 1967. Being half Greek and with a clear and obvious love of the country, Loretta Proctor is well qualified to pen this historical romance. It is superbly written and a gripping yarn from beginning to end. Ms Proctor has an uncanny knack of giving her characters a true and credible personality. Their interactions as the tale unfolds are fascinating and rarely predictable. She is also a master of descriptive writing, talking of `the leaden wings of time' and `the sea, breaking into a thousand gold-tinged bars of light'. She has crafted a wonderful novel here, a worthy sequel to The Long Shadow. I enjoyed it so much, I read the whole story for a second time!
on 23 May 2014
This is a thoroughly enjoyable read from end to end, beautifully descriptive and I can guarantee you won't want to put this book down once you have started reading. I can only ditto all the good reviews already submitted so I don't want to repeat all that has already been said. The story takes you by the hand and leads you into a gripping tale of romance and intrigue, and you feel transported into the very living rooms of all the characters you soon get to know like old friends! The writer takes the lead characters back and forth from the UK to Greece, but most of the story is set in Greece. I've enjoyed this book every bit as much as Loretta's other novels, and can't recommend this one highly enough. I look forward to the next novel in anticipation, knowing I won't be disappointed!
on 26 September 2014
Given To Me For An Honest Review

Dying Phoenix by Loretta Proxtor is set in Greece in 1967. The main characters are Max and Nina. They have a very different kind of marriage. They both change throughout the story and never know what's next. There is a combination of love with love for spirit of greed between them. The characters are full of contradictions and falllibility. Loretta Proctor tells all sides of the stories. There is great turmoil in Greece during this time. Nina disappears and Max hearing that she is in danger goes off to find her. It starts out slow but by the end you are on the edge of your seat. It is a page turner and you will not put it down until you are done with it. I recommend it to everyone. I look forward to more from Loretta Proctor.
An epic book in every way. I won it! and although the subject matter is one in which I am very interested, it is not the usual genre that I would read, but oh!! What a wonderful book it is!
It is the second in a sequence, but works perfectly well as a stand-alone, without tedious passages introducing the characters - they just filter in naturally in the story line.
The characters are 100 % believable and the dialogue flows.
The historical detail is meticulously researched and vividly portrayed.
In every way a truly wonderful book.
If I could give it ten stars I would!!!
on 29 March 2014
After thoroughly enjoying The Long Shadow, I moved onto Dying Phoenix, not realising it was a continuation of the story some years later. Both books were a thrill to read, portraying Greek history and the lives of Loretta's characters so beautifully.
on 6 January 2014
A riveting historical romance that is very well researched and very readable. It covers an obscure part of Greek history that I had vaguely heard of, but knew very little about. All in all a very enjoyable novel and certainly to be recommended!
on 10 December 2013
Just finished Loretta Proctor's new book, which follows on from her first. Well worth a read, as are her previous three books. She obviously knows Greece and the Greek people very well, and I feel I do now! Buy it and enjoy it, I certainly did.
on 14 March 2015
Read The long Shadow before Dying Phoenix to appreciate the full story. Made me want to read more about relatively recent Greek history as that's what the story is largely about.
on 26 January 2014
The author gives the period an authentic feel, and describes Thessaloniki with well-used detail. A recommended read for those interested in Greece.
on 13 June 2014
We are proud to announce that DYING PHOENIX by Loretta Proctor is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!