on 18 December 2013
I was proud to have been one of the backers for Marcus Gipps' Kickstarter project to reprint Uncle. As you probably know, most of the books have been out of print for many many years and sell for hundreds of pounds each. This reprint is a labour of love, printed on top-quality paper, and comes to around 800 pages including a number of Quentin Blake's unpublished illustrations for the series, along with commentaries from the family of J P Martin and a number of Uncle admirers such as Will Self and Neil Gaiman. These are wonderfully inventive stories for children and adults of all ages and it has been an absolute delight to be reunited with them after so many years. Highly recommended.
on 19 December 2013
Wonderful, wise, silly, enchanting, hilarious,deliciously addictive! What a huge treat to have all six books at last. To be treasured. I find myself reading with a smile on my face - such pleasure, and it never palls. The language so rich, and madly inventive. An immense treat for new and already addicted readers, long may it prevail, and be widely disseminated. I haven't even mentioned the sublime illustrations - perfect.

I wonder what his sermons were like!
on 18 December 2013
I first came across Uncle as a child in my primary school library. I quickly realised that all the volumes, aside from the first 2, were out of print. As a student I read them in the Rare Books room of my university library when i was meant to be writing essays. I dreamt of owning my own copies but they cost hundreds of pounds on collectors' sites. So... THANK YOU to Marcus Gipps for so pro-actively seizing the baton and making my own, and 1000s of other Uncle fans out there's wishes come true by creating this magnificent volume. I particularly loved the short essays by JP Martin's family members and rediscovering Quentin Blake's astonishing, agile illustrations all over again. Now it's in a first re-edition tome I will treasure and share with my own children. A real family heirloom. I am quite overcome. A blissful Christmas awaits.
on 20 December 2013
Wonderful to see the Uncle books in print again, in such a beautiful edition with the original illustrations by Quentin Blake.

J.P. Martin created a convincing imaginary world populated by an extraordinary cast of characters. If you loved these books as a child, you will love this.

If they are new to you, buy this book and give yourself and your children a treat.
on 20 December 2013
The Uncle books were some of my favourite childhood books, and I am delighted to see them all back in print after so many years. They are still a great joy to read, with hilarious and fantastic characters - Uncle the majestic but slightly pompous elephant in his purple dressing gown, the lives and foibles of his friends and supporters, their struggles with the Badfort crowd, and the amazing and still unexplored castle of Homeward, which filled my imagination for many years. Quentin Blake's illustrations, as ever, really capture the spirit of the characters and bring everything to life. It's such a pleasure to be able to introduce my own children to Uncle and his friends. My 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter both love them for different reasons....but they are not just for children, there's also something there for adults, especially those who love fantastic stories, unusual characters and great illustrations. There aren't any characters quite like Uncle, his friends and supporters, or the Badfort crowd around. If you have read these books before, this is a lovely, handsome edition containing all the stories with additional interesting new material including a bit about the journey to re-publication ( thanks Marcus and all the Kickstarter supporters). If you haven't read the uncle stories yet then it's time you did - they are sure to become a family favourite. My family, and the school library, will all be getting one of these for Christmas.
on 18 December 2013
I first encountered Uncle when my son, aged about 8, brought one of J P Martin's books home from the library about 40 years ago. Since then I have bought any copies I could and searched for ones I missed. This edition is BRILLIANT! It not only contains all the original stories and wonderful illustrations but has extra material from many fans. I am so pleased that the full Uncle stories are now available for the world, and especially this and future generations of children, to read and enjoy.
on 22 December 2013
Yippee! Like many others, I pined for the Uncle books, having read them all as a child but, alas, they were unobtainable unless you happened to be an astonishingly wealthy elephant. Now they are all available in this lovingly prepared edition which is a beautiful example of book production. Congratulations are due to Marcus Gipps who saw this project through. If you are the kind of person who thinks that Waldovenison Smeare is an unmatchable name for a painter, this is the book for you. If there's one word that sums the books up, it might be 'gusto'; there's a sheer enjoyment in language and a spirit of derring-do in all the characters, even the villains, that is a real tonic. I can't imagine a better present for the child or young person who can treasure a book and relishes the world of the imagination - or, indeed, for yourself.
on 18 December 2013
I've never been able to find copies of the later Uncle books, and it's now a joy to have all of them in such a beautiful volume.

The various introductions by famous fans are fun, and the inclusion of colour plates of the original dust jackets in the middle is very nice, but the main joy is just to have the full text and illustrations available. The fact the book is so well produced is a wonderful bonus.
on 19 December 2013
The Uncle books are a delight. A splendid and joyous fantasy series suitable for all ages. Now the proud owner of this combined volume, which is taking pride of place alongside older paperbacks and hardbacks from the original Uncle publication. Enjoy the Old Monkey, the One-Armed Badger, Cheapman's and the Badfort Crowd.
on 26 December 2013
I was also a backer on Kickstarter for Marcus who has well and truly delivered a masterpiece . This edition contains all six of the books lovingly reprinted on top quality paper with the fantastic illustrations by Sir Quentin Blake . I first read the Uncle books back in primary school , then later I managed to obtain the red fox editions of the first two books and read them to my young daughters who , for the first time , were eager for bedtime so they could listen to the adventures of Uncle, Old Monkey , Beaver Hateman , Hitmouse , the One Armed badger et al , so much so they were disappointed when the books were finished and there were no more in print . This Christmas Day they were amazed when they opened a parcel and there was Marcus's edition , especially as I lkisted them as backers their names are listed in the back . I would recommend the Uncle books to anyone , from child to adult , they are full of fun and magical adventures , Marcus Gipps has really made a heroic effort and brought these wonderful stories back to life for a new generation , for ever I hope . I would also recommend a visit to Marcus's website as he has on sale a CD of the the author , J.P. Martin , reading some of the stories , brilliant stuff . If you would like your children to enjoy reading and enter into a magical world of humour , buy this book , it is well worth the money . Well done ,Marcus and thank you once again for making the great effort to bring these books to a new audience .